New to me 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD WK...Codename "The Plushmobile"

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Hello Jeep People. Some of you will recognize me from my avatar. I am a regular lurker, a pretty regular poster and spend most of my internet time in here on ExPo or on the BC Jeep Club site. I just recently added to my stable (is 2 Jeeps and a Caravan a stable?) a mint condition 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD WK. This is powered by the venerable 5.7L Hemi Multi Displacement V8. While it is not exactly an ExPo type vehicle, it is a Jeep in most every sense of the word. The Quadradrive II system is an excellent all conditions 4WD system and this one comes loaded with the electronic limited slip locking differentials and all the traction control goodies. Soooo looking forward to snow.

Before you ask, I have not and am not selling my XJ. Although the salesman from the Chrysler Dealership I bought this from wants to buy my XJ privately for himself (called me 3 times on it already), and he is offering a pretty tempting price. I digress...

I got this for a few reasons:

1. Good family hauler for long road trips
2. Great trailer hauler, can haul up to 7200 LBS configured correctly
3. XJ is getting older and needs some love
4. It is absolutely mint/perfect/10 out of 10/cherry and looks awesome
5. I drove one back in 2008 for 3 weeks, and swore I would own on some day
6. One owner, underground heated parking from new and no declarations

Pics, cause this did indeed happen

dc0bb3f4123a422db1921655f8e0278b.jpg

ad6f337cf39b4eeeb653b6a2332b58ff.jpg

5875aa838b5c421d8e512ba92e42bbea.jpg

a127d3b30dae458aa81bf0de50183eda.jpg

798b0567d1ef4740bb66abca37939b04.jpg

Looking forward to many years of ownership. At only 60,000 KM since new, I believe that this is entirely possible! Oh and of course I have some plans for it...just don't tell my wife!
:smiley_drive:

Gildnerb

I have the exact same Jeep(05 wk, HEMI, QDII) and even though I am selling at, I have 165,000 miles on it. And these were some of the most trouble free miles I have ever put on a vehicle! Besides a transfer case sensor and premature gear wear in the rear axle, nothing else has gone wrong. Not bad considering I put 90,000 miles on it! I used the Jeep to tow my 6,000lb boat, go on many 500+ mile trips and wow did I love it. I hope your WK serves you well, I know mine did.

VanIsle_Greg

That is exactly why I bought it...so many people saying the same thing. Thanks for the reply, and yeah, looking forward to many long trips with the family!

Septu

Explorer
Put a mild lift and some quality tires on there, and you'll be laughing. It has great lines, and sure is purdy.

VanIsle_Greg

Put a mild lift and some quality tires on there, and you'll be laughing. It has great lines, and sure is purdy.

Looking at a 2" + lift or leveling kit as they call them. That and a set of 255 70-75 x 17 AT's and maybe a set of front spacers if needed and I am GTG. It is going to stay pretty much stock, with the exception of the small lift and a set of AT's and a lo profile roof basket because they are super handy.

Oh and a replacement head unit and speakers etc. This one SUX.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Wow, only 60,000km/38,000miles is a rare find for an 8 year old vehicle! Some decent tires and a mild lift will get you many places with a smoother ride than the XJ. And I agree with you not selling the XJ, you will not get back much of what you have put into the Jeep and you have too many memories attaching you to it.

VanIsle_Greg

Wow, only 60,000km/38,000miles is a rare find for an 8 year old vehicle! Some decent tires and a mild lift will get you many places with a smoother ride than the XJ. And I agree with you not selling the XJ, you will not get back much of what you have put into the Jeep and you have too many memories attaching you to it.

You said it man... although the salesman has called 3 times and tentatively offered me close to 7K for it! Having said that, I plan on using the XJ and cant wait to get it out on some more challenging trails soon. The WK is beautiful, the owner was obviously meticulous about looking after it and it shows. I really wanted a 2008 CRD, but all the ones I found were 120,000 KM ish and were 10K more. I wont save that much in fuel in the life of the WK, and the power is comparable if not a bit different in how it is put down on the road.

For the record, I am very much in like with this WK and LOVE the Hemi. Smooth as silk, quiet and gobs of get up and go. I will check out your build thread scootr29.

VanIsle_Greg

Just ordered a set of JL Audio separates for each door and some adapters to fit them into the 6x9 holes...love the 6.5" JL. Had 2 sets of these in my Dakota, they rocked. Also popped for a set of Kicker 3.5" 2 ways for the dash. In the new year I am going to pop for a double DIN Pioneer head unit with DVD, so I can get rid of that stock 6 changer. I LOVE my car tunes (and cartoons too) and HAVE to listen to music when I drive. I am REALLY missing the 500+ watt system in the XJ right now!

bnoland

Observer
Looking at a 2" + lift or leveling kit as they call them. That and a set of 255 70-75 x 17 AT's and maybe a set of front spacers if needed and I am GTG. It is going to stay pretty much stock, with the exception of the small lift and a set of AT's and a lo profile roof basket because they are super handy.

Oh and a replacement head unit and speakers etc. This one SUX.

Mine has a 2 inch daystar and 255/75/17s on it. It has MTs on it right now but when they are due to be replaced I will go with ATs. A nice mild lift and it works great for DD and off roading. I had a 96 xj with a 6 1/2 inch lift and 35s before.. way to big for what I did though it did great in the snow.

VanIsle_Greg

I was just looking at that online a little while ago. I also looked at the RC 2" lift as well, price is really good on the RC kit locally. The Daystar lift is $100 more which seems a bit high? Honestly, I have used Daystar in the past for some lift blocks on my Cherokee... they were good.

Will be considering this in the spring.

I took it for its first real highway run since I picked it up. I am very happy with the 5.7L and how much effortless power and torque it has. Cruising along on the "Hat" (Van Islanders will know what this is) I was sitting at 2000 RPM at about 100-110 KM/h, and never got above 2500 RPM when passing the slow people. It just pulls like a train the whole time, with so little drama. The Cherokee XJ howls and growls and pulls like a bull, but it is loud and wild when doing it and regularly hits 3500 RPM heading up the same hill. Still a lot of fun, but oh so very different a beast it is.

I also noted that the reported fuel consumption dropped to a very respectable (considering cubic inches) 15.1L/100 KM. The more I drive this, the more I like it. VERY excited about owning this Jeep. When it has been given my own personal touches, it will be stellar.

-low profile roof basket
-2" lift
-255-265 AT's
-Different wheels (possibly Moabs)
-Couple of skid plates

It will be ALL GOOD!!

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Welcome to the WK family. I love my WK, has treated me very well. I currently have the RC lift and the Rola roof basket. Could not be happier withit. Check out my build for some pics!! Can't wait to start seeing the mods on yours. Congrats!

VanIsle_Greg

Thanks man, I think I might order the RC lift this month. I really like the Rola basket too, nice and low pro...slap some LED lights on there and GTG.

LOVING the WK, so much nicer than the XJ, a totally different animal.

Septu

Explorer
I also noted that the reported fuel consumption dropped to a very respectable (considering cubic inches) 15.1L/100 KM.

I guess it's respectable for a v8, but I would have thought it would be better than that. My 2012 JKUR stock does a tad better than that (12-13 if I baby it at 100).

VanIsle_Greg

I guess it's respectable for a v8, but I would have thought it would be better than that. My 2012 JKUR stock does a tad better than that (12-13 if I baby it at 100).

2012 3.6L JK according to the Googles...

• Engine: 3.6L Pentastar V six-cylinder DOHC with variable valve timing
  • Fuel economy: EPA (08):, 17 MPG city, 21 MPG highway, 18 MPG combined and 335 mi. range
  • Power (SAE): 285 hp @ 6,400 rpm; 260 ft lb of torque @ 4,800 rpm

2005 5.7L WK according to the same Googles...

• Engine: 5.7L Hemi V8, Pushrod-operated overhead valves, 16 valves, eight deactivating and eight conventional hydraulic lifters, all with roller followers
  • Estimated EPA Fuel Economy, mpg City / Hwy = 14 / 21 or 18 combined (or 16.8 / 11.2L or about 16.8 combined per 100KM)
  • Power: 325 hp @ 5100 rpm, (57.5 hp/L) 370 lb.-ft. @ 3500 rpm

Our last trip up island it dropped to 13.1 combined. All things considered...I could probably do a little better with a good Seafoam and possibly a plug replacement. I am not sure when the plugs were last done, need to chase that info down from the dealer. I like the fact I have all that torque on demand, and available at reasonably low RPM. The WK with the 5.7 will also tow 5700 LBS...which is why I opted for the 5.7 V8. Wanted the CRD, but initial up front cost was 10-15K more than I wanted to spend.

Also keep in mind that this is now a 7 year old vehicle, and the 2012-2013 5.7L Hemi will get you close to 36 MPG HWY (advertised/reported). Engines have come a long way in 4-5 short years. Look at the 3.7 vs. the 3.6!
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles