New to me 2003 Chevy Tracker (rebadged Suzuki Vitara) Need input

rpintx1

Observer
Hello Everyone, about 3 weeks ago I picked up a 2003 Chevy Tracker, one owner, 2.0 4 cyl,84k original miles, 5 speed, been garaged all it's life. I've been looking for a small trail rig that I could take my young daughters exploring around far west Texas and NM and this fit the bill perfectly. Samurai's in my area are pricey, so are wranglers and forget anything with a Toyota badge on it too much $$$$ for my budget.

So, this Tracker has 205/75/15 tiny little tires on it. Does anyone know if 235/75/15 or 30x9.5x15 will fit without rubbing? If not, anyone have experience with low range off roads 2.5 lift with OME springs, struts and LRO spacers?

Future plans:

Curt class 3 hitch (already on the way)

Front, middle, rear skid plates.

Would like to find a front bumper for strength, additional lights, and maybe a winch, but can't find much on the interwebs (except Calmini).

Would like to do a lock right in the rear, but LRO told me the differential housing has to be changed, is this true? How difficult is that?

Lastly (for now), it has the factory roof rails, but no cross bars. Does anyone like Yakima or another company make a connecting bracket to add cross bars or a roof rack?

The Tracker is so old that most aftermarket support has stopped and there isn't much I can find for aftermarket support.

What I've done so far:

Oil change and filter
Front diff, rear diff, transfer case and transmission fluids changed to full synthetics.
Upper and lower radiator hoses changed, heater hose too.
Radiator fluid drain and fill.
New thermostat

Any input, suggestions, recommendations, would be welcome. Cant wait to get out and start wheeling a little with my kiddos!!

Sorry for the long post and multiple questions.

Everyone enjoy the weekend!

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
235/75/15 will fit without issue. 30s might be pushing it. I am running OME shocks/struts on my '95, and they ride great. I am running BDS's coils, too. (I know

Also, any reason you'd put a big class III hitch on these? The towing capacity is only 1,000 lbs.

AFAIK, only Calmini offers a true winch bumper for the second-gen Vitara/Tracker

I have a Lock Right in mine (again, a 1995). Have had it for a few years without issue. Allegedly, the Lock Right 1512 will bolt in. Again, that's from what I've read on the Internet (so it has to be true, right?). I have heard the front housing isn't great for a locker setup, however.

Replacement parts are pretty easy to come by, at least for the previous 89-98 generation. I know the 99+ wasn't as popular to modify, but still. Pretty much everything you'd want to do can be done. I would also check out http://zukiworld.com for more detailed stuff. There is also a Zukiworld Adventure Group on Facebook if you're on there (it's pretty popular).

rpintx1

Observer
Thanks for the input

've been on Zukiworld and every website I can find. Appreciate the suggestions and recommendations. Looking at 235 Cooper Sts or BFG KO's, but price will be the limiting factor. I know the limiting two rating is low, but I'm a firm believer in making a vehicle stronger, especially after being rear-ended a few times and not having damage to the vehicle, and the vehicle that hit me eating the hitch all the way to the front cross member and radiator. Plus, it makes a strong pulling point if I get stuck. Don't plan on towing hardly anything except maybe my utility trailer with my 4 wheeler on it, but I've got a F-250 Powerstroke for anything I need to pull.

Luckily you have the earlier generation that seems to have more aftermarket support. But I'm part blood hound and bull dog, so I find, figure out or see about having things made (within budget of course). So far love driving it. Can't wait to put a lock right in it and go have some fun.

Anyone know about the front differential issue with the compressor failing and not having 4x4? I've read a few threads about that. Does lockout hubs such a Warn or Milemarker solve this? Alter Ego Motorsports in Canada offers a kit for "Front Diff Fix" which includes lock out hubs and some bushings to support the driveline better, but it's pricey at 479.00 Anyone have any imput?

Thirty-nine--Thanks for the information and if you have any other suggestions or recommendations, you have my attention!

ThreeEyedBandit

I have had two Trackers/Vitaras(among many track/kicks and samurais) and never had a compressor fail. It is located in a poor spot behind the bumper, but pulls it's air from next to the air cleaner so it is pretty decent. My biggest complaint is the delay it takes for the front diff to 'lock' in and the resulting smash, clunk when it does, this will also happen when shifting from H to L of L to H. Can be avoided if you select 4wd or the correct range and drive a bit before you need it. At some point I am going to swap over to 5.12's and eliminate the air diff, not a priority but something you should think of.

Diff support: Just but some used first gen Track/Kick hubs and bolt them on, its all you need to do. You won't notice increased MPG's, but less wear and tear on the CV boots and the passenger seal on the diff. 235's are perfect for a stockish one, and will open a whole world of tire choices. Mine would polish the frame at full lock, but nothing big. The 1512 will fit in the rear diff without a problem, but get use to some quirky handling and sketchy side hilling if you like snow wheeling. Otherwise it is one of the best things you can do to one.

About the only other thing I can think of is build or get a skidplate off of a Grand Vitara, should bolt on and save the front diff when you find you first rock :sombrero:

Questions? Ask away! :smiley_drive:

BigBamBoo

Observer
I have a 2000 2dr Tracker/Vitara with the 2.0L and 5spd. It is currently in the shop getting the transmission rebuilt due to a noisy input shaft bearing.

I currently have around 120,000 niles on it. I bought this little rig for my wife about 9 years ago with very low miles and it was great for her to run around town in.
About a year and a half ago I bought her a new car and now the Tracker is my hunting and run around town rig.

I am slowly making it more trail worthy. I just received my OME springs, struts, and shocks and soon as I get it back from the trans shop, all those parts will be installed.

I currently have new Toyo 215/75R15's on it which I just bought a few weeks ago. So not sure if I will put 235's on it for awhile. I have concerns about power loss and I have the stock 15", 5.5" rims so don't know if 235's will work.

As for a bumper...I plan on adding one as well. Here is another option:

Altered Ego Motor Sports

And for skids:

Rocky-Roads

I did look into a ARB rear locker, but you are correct. The third member will have to be swapped with one from an older rig for it to work.

I don't do a lot of "extream" 4X4ing...mostly just trails. So not sure I would actually "need" a locker.

My bigger gripe is I have been searching for a snorkel for over a year. And can not find one.

Have fun with you new rig. Even with the lack of clearance. The can go quite a few places.

rpintx1

Observer
Hey ThreeEyedBandit and BigBamBoo, I really appreciate the input and suggestions. I was beginning to think I was the only one out here with this "albatross" that there is no aftermarket support for. My class three hitch came in so it will go on soon, the OME springs arrived too, and the front and gas tank skid plates are here. Will be going on soon. Waiting on front struts and spring spacers plus the camber adjustment kit. I ordered my stuff from Low Range Off Road out of Utah. Awesome customer service. I must have called William 3 times and bugged him with questions. Very informative and helpful. HIGHLY recommend!!!. Treated me right on prices too!!

I don't do any extreme offroading, but I live in the desert and sand is crazy around here, a locker is worth it's weight in gold here. I bought this because Tracker because its' small, nimble, has a low range transfercase, can hold both my daughters ( 5 and 8) car seats and booster seats, and has air conditioning! When it's 115 outside, A/C is also worth it's weight in gold.

Here's a little tidbit for you guys. When I bought it, first tank of gas with mostly in town driving netted 23 mpg. Changed the plugs to Diamond 3 plugs, Motorcraft 5w20 semi-synthetic, Royal Purple front, rear and differential fluid, synchomax synthetic transmission fluid, ran a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner in that tank and filled up last week. Yesterday wanted to top off the tank after burning almost 1/4 of a tank and with the same in town driving, registered 26.2 mpg. All hand calculated. Can't wait to go trail riding and not have to haul multiple containers of gas!!!! Was hoping the manual hubs might help 1-2 mpg, but as Threeeyedbandit states above, may not see an increase in mpg. The more I drive it the more I like it. My daughters think it's cool too. Can't wait to get the lift on, get some more aggressive tires on and go trail riding with them. My 8 year old is old enough to start sitting on my lap and steering and learning to shift just like my dad taught me.

BigBamBoo, I'm not a snorkel fan, but most of the snorkels I've seen on these Trackers/Vitaras that I"ve seen with them on them on the internet seem to be in South America. If I come across a source I'll shoot you a PM. Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if you could modify a Toyota kit and get it to work...........:confused:

BigBamBoo

Observer
Good stuff. You will have to post up pictures when you get it all together.

I am up here in Redding, so I understand the 115+ temps.

The reason for the snorkel is I actual have a few spots where I go hunting (private ranches) and there is some water crossing involved. I went through a stream that I had not crossed since last winter and all of a sudden I was in up to the wheel wells.
Luckily no water in the air box, but made me very aware of how low these rigs are. Even with a 2" lift and 29-30" tires, that is. It going to help on the water issue.

I too purchased my OME springs and shocks from LowRange and by chance William was the sales person. Good gent to deal with.

As soon as I get my little Tracker back from the transmission shop and get the OME parts installed, I will post up some pics.

Next project will be skids for the front and rear.

compactcamping

Explorer
On my 2000 Tracker, 2.0L/5spd, I run 235/15 Duratraks on the factory 5.5" aluminum wheels. Needs 1" hub spacers to keep from rubbing. On my previous 1992 Sidekick 15x7 aftermarket steel wheels with 235/15s cleared fine. Both rigs had 2" lifts.

Mine has front and rear 3rd members from a 1996 Sidekick Sport installed. The 5.13 gears with 235s is just right. This setup gets rid of the vacuum engage stuff up front and the auto hubs.

My Tranny input shaft started making some noise around 122K, within a 1000 miles it was howling. Had Trail Tough rebuild it this Summer.

I regularly tow a lightweight camping trailer with it.

sca1.JPG

BigBamBoo

Observer
Hi rpintx1.
Not trying to high jack your thread, but wanted to give you an update on my rig that might help you out on yours.

So I just got the OME springs, rear shocks, and Low Range struts installed on mine. Plus installed Warn hubs.

All I can say is...WOW! What a difference in ride quality. I did not go with a "lift kit"...no spacers...so the new springs gave me a solid 3/4" lift all the way around.
But again, they ride is very much improved over the original suspension with 120,000 miles on it.

And I believe the Warn hubs have given me a bit more power. There is a long, steep hill I climb on the highway on my way home and generally to maintain 65mph up it, I would have to downshift to 4th about 3/4 of the way up it. Yesterday, I was able to stay in 5th all the way up at 65mph.

I hope you will post up your thoughts when you get yours all fixed up.

rpintx1

Observer
lift kit

Hey guys,

Just a quick update, all the parts for the lift are in, going in tomorrow for installation, then down to my local tire shop for tires and see what fits, at a minimum I want 235/75/15s. So might have to use spacers (which I'm not all that fond of, but...) kinda hoping 30x9.5x15s might fit, but I don't want any severe rubbing. We'll see. Then it goes to a different shop that will install the rear locker and manual hubs. Went with the Aisin hubs, because I've seen two Warn hubs blow up over the years and Aisin hubs never seem to have problems on the Toyotas with those hubs, so went with those. We'll see. Not that I'll be doing any serious rock crawling, but I like to buy quality and reliability. Then I'm off to the tire shop. Plan on going with Cooper STs. I've been using Coopers for years and love them on my F250 Powerstroke. I'll try to post up some pictures when it's all done.

rpintx1

Observer
Buy the way, I know a semi-quick fix if you ever blow up a warn hub and its the engaging spring. A Coors Light beer can cut to fit, will lock the hub back. But the drawback is its permanently locked. So after you get back on the road from offroading, you've got to take the hub apart and take it out to unlock the hub. Just an quick off road bandaid to get you throught. :)

rpintx1

Observer
Hi rpintx1.
Not trying to high jack your thread, but wanted to give you an update on my rig that might help you out on yours.

So I just got the OME springs, rear shocks, and Low Range struts installed on mine. Plus installed Warn hubs.

All I can say is...WOW! What a difference in ride quality. I did not go with a "lift kit"...no spacers...so the new springs gave me a solid 3/4" lift all the way around.
But again, they ride is very much improved over the original suspension with 120,000 miles on it.

And I believe the Warn hubs have given me a bit more power. There is a long, steep hill I climb on the highway on my way home and generally to maintain 65mph up it, I would have to downshift to 4th about 3/4 of the way up it. Yesterday, I was able to stay in 5th all the way up at 65mph.

I hope you will post up your thoughts when you get yours all fixed up.

Hey BigBamBoo----Post up some pictures!!! I'd like to see yours with the springs and 3/4" lift. My Tracker is at the shop today for the lift install and alignment. Probably wont get it back till tomorrow.

rpintx1

Observer
Very Nice! My skid plates are being powder coated next week. I got the front and rear gas tank skids. They are a lot thicker and heavier than I thought they would be. Going with a flat black with a very light texture. Should look awesome. Hopefully Ill get the Tracker back today and then off to the tire shop tomorrow to see what fits.

BigBamBoo

Observer
I thought of powder coating them, but I had a bunch of armor on a Xterra that I spent money on powder coating and after a few off road adventures, the powder coating was scraped off in a lot of places. And I ended up having to touch them up with rattle can paint.
They do look great when fresh.

And yes....they are heavy. And these little 2.0L engines are not powerhouses to begain with. Coupled with your bigger tires I am interested in hearing now it does on the Hwy and pulling hills.

Post up some pictures when you get a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne