New to g’s

35xj

Adventurer
Morning all. Freshly started looking into the g wagon coming from the defender world. I’ve always been intrigued by what I think of as the German improvement on the defender.
Not really interested in the modern v8 as much as an older diesel. Stumbled across this and it caught my attention. Thoiughts?
Thanks! Dave

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
What is it with Land Rover guys shunning modern engines in G's? Lucas electronics really screwed you guys up. You may want to dance on over to clubgwagen.com where you'll find a wealth of info on the older G's and ask questions to a larger pool of folks with knowledge of them.

That '85 does look like a sharp restomod

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
Morning all. Freshly started looking into the g wagon coming from the defender world. I’ve always been intrigued by what I think of as the German improvement on the defender.
Not really interested in the modern v8 as much as an older diesel. Stumbled across this and it caught my attention. Thoiughts?
Thanks! Dave

I think that looks like a great G if no rust and service records. Not sure if I would daily drive it.

alanymarce

Hmm - the disadvantage would be that the engine is (apparently) modified - which is always a worry in terms of maintenance, repairs, and stress on other parts of the driveline. I had the same model (standard) at one point and found it solid, capable, and heavy.

paachi

Looks like a nice G but you really want to check on the conversion and if the person who did it knew what they were doing. The OM606 and 603 (if I’m not mistaken) have deeper oil dumps in a G application vs the E application. How has the electronic fuel pump been ported or has it been modded to mechanical elements? If mechanical then are they properly matched..etc.

If it’s been done properly then this is a good deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paachi

Looks like a nice G but you really want to check on the conversion and if the person who did it knew what they were doing. The OM606 and 603 (if I’m not mistaken) have deeper oil dumps in a G application vs the E application. How has the electronic fuel pump been ported or has it been modded to mechanical elements? If mechanical then are they properly matched..etc.

If it’s been done properly then this is a good deal

I read again. It looks like a mechanical pump. So maybe getting more details there will help. I would also put this question up at clubgwagen. Lots of G wagon and specifically OM606 conversion experts there as well. Good luck!!

Roverchef

Adventurer
If you read the OG advert it states that the IP has been converted and done correctly by the IP guru over in Switzerland. That is a nice rig and seems to be done well. Happy hunting

nbutze

Welcome to the G Wagen community! You are going to love a G over a defender. I promise.

Now, it is all about picking one that fits your needs.

The OM606 above is a great example and I think was a good truck. One thing you need to watch on those OM606 conversions are for parts from Diesel Pump UK.... I am sure some people will stand up for them, but over and over and over again people come on the forums and have problems with those DPUK Pumps and parts. Be careful and for the kind of stuff we are doing, real factory MB Parts are perfect.

You can buy an original OM606 G in Europe and import it. It is fun and not scary or even very expensive like you may think. \

I would not be afraid of a 2004+ G500. It is an absolutely wonderful platform. Try to avoid the 2002 and 2003 models as they did have some electrical gremlins that are likely sorted out by now, but just the ones to avoid.

BigDaddyX

Welcome to the G Wagen community! You are going to love a G over a defender. I promise.

Now, it is all about picking one that fits your needs.

The OM606 above is a great example and I think was a good truck. One thing you need to watch on those OM606 conversions are for parts from Diesel Pump UK.... I am sure some people will stand up for them, but over and over and over again people come on the forums and have problems with those DPUK Pumps and parts. Be careful and for the kind of stuff we are doing, real factory MB Parts are perfect.

You can buy an original OM606 G in Europe and import it. It is fun and not scary or even very expensive like you may think. \

I would not be afraid of a 2004+ G500. It is an absolutely wonderful platform. Try to avoid the 2002 and 2003 models as they did have some electrical gremlins that are likely sorted out by now, but just the ones to avoid.
What model year OM606 G would you recommend? Have you performed the importation process? What was it like?

Metric

What model year OM606 G would you recommend? Have you performed the importation process? What was it like?
The 606 became available in a G for the 1996 model year. So with the US 25 year import rule...well, you can do the math. There is a good bit of G-class import experience over at the clubgwagen forum. I have not done it, but I think you'd be wise to make a trip to Europe so that you can personally inspect/drive/buy. Get a temp registration and drive direct to port.

paachi

The OM606 based Gs were run between 1996 and 1999. I imported mine back in 2018. It isn’t too bad a process just time consuming because I chose to import mine under the 21 year rule and not wait till 25 years were up. I had to do some additional changes to the G to accommodate DOT rules. Now, the 96 and 97 MY are eligible to be imported under the 25 year rule. So the process is even easier.

The key is to find one in Europe that has minimal rust. It took me 5-6 months to find one and I had a friend in Germany who helped check out the vehicle once I found one on the interwebz.

PM me and I can share more specific details on the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles