New to forum - retired, recently purchased a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk

paullgj

Hi!

New to the forum from Brownsville, in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, at the extreme southern tip of Texas. I'm recently retired, age 73, and purchased a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk, a few months back. My previous vehicles were stick shift Chevy SWB 4x4 pickups, and more recently a 2dr then a 4 dr Wrangler. But I'm downsizing now.

I'm concerned a bit about the Trailhawk. Great traction from a low range and the locking rear diff, good approach and departure angles, but low breakover and not much wheel travel. I'm not going canyon rock crawling but would like to take this thing on the trails in Big Bend Ranch State Park (next to Big Big National Park, but more primitive and less frequented), and southern New Mexico.

In the "old days" (pre-2009 when the Cartel wars started), I did a lot of four wheeling in the Sierra Madre Oriental of northeast Mexico - very rugged, steep, rocky trails which necessitated tall high profile tires.

Gene, Brownsville, Texas

gspfunk

Not sure how much bigger you can go, but taller tires will give you a little lift to help with clearance. The Cherokee market is surprisingly large, as it’s become more popular for a small off-roader. There might be some good suspension options out there.

Zeep

Adventurer
Other than downsizing, explain your reasoning for leaving the more capable Wrangler behind.

paullgj

Other than downsizing, explain your reasoning for leaving the more capable Wrangler behind.
Had two vehicles - Wrangler 4dr and Honda. It was getting hard for me to see out of the rear on the Wrangler - so downsized two two vehicles to one. Cherokee becomes daily driver and light off road. Compromise - nobody is happy. Retirement - one vehicle to maintain.

Johnston Robare

Hey Gene, congratulations on your retirement! I'm only about a million years away myself ;)

Some quick research shows your stock Cherokee Trailhawk runs a 245/65-17 tire which is about 29.5" tall. Looks like some folks online are swapping out with 245/70-17 or 265/65-17 which is about a 30.5" tire. At stock height, some claim no rubbing with the new size and others claim minimal rubbing.

That's a small improvement but at least a step in the right direction (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior