New to FJ CRUISER. Have some questions.

Strider

Observer
Hello everybody.

Just got a used (2008) FJ Cruiser and I would appreciate any advice on mods etc. but especially the fuel issue.
After purchasing it I found out it requires premium gas. I've heard that there's a chip available that allows the use of regular but don't want to risk damaging the vehicle. A search on here has yielded no results (maybe I'm doing it wrong?). Anyone use this or have information?

This is a daily driver that I want to use in over landing as well so I want above all for it to be reliable.

Future mods are planned: OME Suspension, Snorkel, Bullbar/winch, lights...

Thanks and hope to see you at OEX 2015!

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
it does not REQUIRE premium fuel, it is recommended for maximum performance. the fuel management system is designed to recognize what level of octane fuel you are using and compensate accordingly.

modern vehicles have knock sensors in the block that "listen" for pre-detonation in the cylinders and adjust the fuel and spark timing accordingly. theoretically you could put regular pump gas in a corvette, it will just run like ****.

Expedition Leader
The 1GR-FE engine has a 10.5:1 compression ratio. If it weren't for the computerized ignition timing (and variable valve timing), that compression ratio would require premium, but the FJC will automatically retard the timing until it doesn't knock (pre-detonate). So you can run regular gas without harm, but if you want the horsepower and torque the engine is rated for you'll have to run premium.

STREGA

Explorer
I have a '08 FJ that I bought new and have been running mid grade fuel for most of it's life. When I tow a trailer I use premium fuel.

Strider

Observer
Thank you.
That's interesting. I am just a bit concerned because the fuel cap states "Premium Fuel Only".
Is there a chip though? I was told there is a chip that will let it run on regular fuel with no negative effects on anything.

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
There is no "chip". That is serious BS at it's best. You can run the low grade or mid grade with no issues at all with the exception of maybe a few MPG loss. The truck doesn't have an Octane sensor. It doesn't care. As stated, it senses the ping that can be brought on by lower grade fuels, but that it. I run the low grade in my FJ all the time and occasionally run Premium just "because". Enjoy your new rig!

jkron

Observer
i have a 2014 FJC and have never run premium in it. never noticed any issue. and the "chip" thing is total BS

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Does the FJ have a different 4.0 V6 than the 4runner? Because I've been running the cheapest rot-gut 85 octane in my 4runner since I got it in 2012 and it runs fine, gets decent MPG, too.
The cap says "premium fuel?" Or "Unleaded fuel?" 'cause they ALL say "unleaded" (even though I don't know of anyplace in the US that you can get "leaded" gas. Pretty sure the last time I saw leaded gas for sale was in the mid 1980's.)

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Does the FJ have a different 4.0 V6 than the 4runner? Because I've been running the cheapest rot-gut 85 octane in my 4runner since I got it in 2012 and it runs fine, gets decent MPG, too.
The cap says "premium fuel?" Or "Unleaded fuel?" 'cause they ALL say "unleaded" (even though I don't know of anyplace in the US that you can get "leaded" gas. Pretty sure the last time I saw leaded gas for sale was in the mid 1980's.)

same v6, different engine management. the 5th gen 4Runner's have the most "powerful" 4.0 V6 at 270BHP and 278FT-LBS of torque vs the FJ's 237BHP and 278FT-LBS of torque and 260BHP and 271FT-LBS of torque for the 2010 and later models. all numbers are achieved using 91+ octane grade fuel, though if knowledge serves me right; the engine management in the 4runner maintains nearly all of its figures on 87 Octane

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior