New Sportsmobile on Order

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
Ok here's my offcial thread to track construction of my new Sportsmobile. The truck was in production at the time of my purchase. Its an 08 chassis RB50 layout, white shell, grey interior.

DSCN0536.jpg

DSCN0537.jpg

DSCN0538.jpg

this last photo has a drawing of the location of the two 16.5 gal water tanks in it...

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Very cool James, you decided on the white one! I love white trucks. What made you change your mind?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey since it is already in production is there any chance it will be ready for the Overland Training Alumni Baja Mexico trip? It would be very cool to have you guys along in a SMB.

I would really like to hear more of your thought process on the choices you have made...I know I went through some real struggles on the layout and options?

RB vs EB is such a space vs trail performance balance
Diesel vs Gas
Propane built in cooktop vs portable, diesel heater vs propane

Oh and white ext w/ grey int is the same look I went for and I think it will stay cooler and look great in the outdoors.

Trail Monkey

Very cool James, you decided on the white one! I love white trucks. What made you change your mind?

funny you should ask. my preference was silver with cherry interior. but to get that in an rb wil take till march.. so the white i ike also and its on the line. i can be driving it in 1 month.

Trail Monkey

Hey since it is already in production is there any chance it will be ready for the Overland Training Alumni Baja Mexico trip? It would be very cool to have you guys along in a SMB.

I would really like to hear more of your thought process on the choices you have made...I know I went through some real struggles on the layout and options?

RB vs EB is such a space vs trail performance balance
Diesel vs Gas
Propane built in cooktop vs portable, diesel heater vs propane

Oh and white ext w/ grey int is the same look I went for and I think it will stay cooler and look great in the outdoors.

Small chance well make Baja Lance.. Would be very cool. Sorry to copy your color scheme, wasnt the original plan. Now well be twins on the trail..:coffeedrink:

The choices are overwhelming. Having a rock crawling background, decided on the RB for better departure angle. also having lived in the Tacoma for 2 months, we felt we would still have enough space in the RB.

The gas/diesel issue was easier for me. I see depreciation on the diesel much slower and diesel torque for crawling with that atlas should be great. Plus if i want more power its much easier to get out of the diesel and cheaper to get as well.

We opted for the diesel heater and water heater. its a pricey seup, but after the rest is added up i figured why stop there. haha.. nice to get hot water when truck is off. not a necessity by any means though...

we will use a partner stove external hooked to onboard LP tank from sportmobile. this way the countertop inside is big and clean, great for food prep, wife likey mucho...

having issues still with the fridge. ill talk to jonathan monday about what yur doing. im think maybe a 50-60 qt unit on a slide in the regular fridge vicinity close to the floor. pull it out to open. bending over not to big a deal for us YET... and then we get a large clean counter top.. not sure f this will work, but i see no reason to have two fridges and the factory options just wont work for us.. so hopefully they can customize something for me.

lets get some of you photos up.. and congrats.. oh just remembered your unveiling at SEMA.. <BIGSHOT> first OC then FELLOW now this..:wings:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
James. these are great vehicles, keep this one for an extended period of time :sombrero:

Trail Monkey

James. these are great vehicles, keep this one for an extended period of time :sombrero:

Ill try Martyn, but i have a rare disease, doctors have no name for it.. It can cause me to loose all control and upgrade at any given moment...:victory:

dzzz

That looks great with the big tires. I look at those inside shots and wonder how you are setting it up. Is it based on a stock plan?
When I looked at smb, the finished GVW bothered me (probably too much). Have you estimated a final weight? One advantage of the RB is that there is only so much space to add weight :)
The tuners for ford diesels work well and seem to be safe, at least with the stock injectors. But there is plenty of torque in the standard engine. For running on mexican diesel you may just need to do a DPF delete.

Edit: I see RB50 is a plan. cool. Can they still make the front seats pivot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online