New shoes for the 3rd Gen 4Runner...advice appreciated.

flyinbrick

I was looking at these two and just went with the AT3's. Why? Because of the Expo tire comparo (that Tanglefoot linked to) and the fact that for my size (265/75R16), they came in load range C which is what I wanted (the General AT2's only come in P and E), and are lighter. So far, I'm very happy with them. Compared with the tires I switched them out for (Bridgestone Revo 2, P-rated), they ride almost as well despite being a load range higher, but not nearly as grippy on the road. Minimal weights needed to balance them. I went to America's Tire and had them price-match Discount Tire Direct - they have a $40 instant rebate right now. Consider going to 265/75R16:
P265/70R16 P-rated: $151/ea
P265/75R16 P-rated: $141/ea
LT265/75R16 C-rated: $151/ea

Frdmskr

Adventurer
The funny thing is I read several pages from a Canadian tire seller. All the Candians liked the AT2 for everything but mud. Most Jeep folks agree. AT3s rule mud. They are mixed about AT3s in snow.

If only I could own both...right now the wallet is looking locally and favoring the AT2s. Have to watch the sales as we await the tax return and collect more input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frdmskr

Adventurer
By way of an update I got the General Grabber AT2s. The forecast had a few ugly ice and snow storms coming and frankly, I would have left the truck in the driveway due to the condition of the tires on the vehicle. they were not bald but may as well have been!

I do not regret my purchase even though I have only used them for under 1000 miles at this time. These tires grab the snow beautifully. I had them in fresh snow up to 6" deep without an issue. They do very well on ice and in slush. Actually, the way they grab the slush caught me off guard at first. I am not used to anything grabbing slush. Much to learn on this truck and tire combo. I did most of my driving up and down hills and along main and side streets in 2wd. The few times I had to put it in 4wd Hi were due to going up and down hills notorious for being poorly treated or being off camber (my turn into my street is fun in the ice). The ride dry is fantastic. They are very soft and smooth.

I do not know what people are thinking about for road noise. Then again I have the truck buttoned up due to the cold. The tire noise in the 4runner is equal to the engine noise when driving at regular speed off the highway. I will have to listen in the Spring and Summer to see if there is something else I am missing.

Anyways, these are 55-60K tires. Let's see if they are like the HTS' I had and get me within 1K of the stated mileage limit.

preacherman

Explorer
I just put a set of the cooper at3 on my 3rd gen and absolutely love them. Best tire I have run in a while. I like them much better than my BFG's. Way smooth on the highway and very nice everywhere else. I'm please so far (but I only have a few hundred miles on them)

Pathfinder

Adventurer
I just put Cooper AT3s on my 4Runner before my run to Yellowstone last month, partly based on the review in Overland Journal.

I wondered how they would handle snow and ice, and they did just fine. Much, much better than the BFG ATs I have on my FJCruiser. I have never really liked BFG ATS that well in the snow.

The AT3s ride nicely on the road, handle very well in the rain, and I will replace the BFGs on my FJC, with AT3 next fall based on my experience.

Now -- If you are going to be doing a lot of very low pressure rock crawling, the sidewalls of the BFGs will hold up better I think. But that is not a particular need of mine.

A side note is how many folks I have managed to get going in the snow with my set of MaxTraks. Much easier and safer than trying to pull them free.

Last edited:

Tanner

Observer
By way of an update I got the General Grabber AT2s. The forecast had a few ugly ice and snow storms coming and frankly, I would have left the truck in the driveway due to the condition of the tires on the vehicle. they were not bald but may as well have been!

I do not regret my purchase even though I have only used them for under 1000 miles at this time. These tires grab the snow beautifully. I had them in fresh snow up to 6" deep without an issue. They do very well on ice and in slush. Actually, the way they grab the slush caught me off guard at first. I am not used to anything grabbing slush. Much to learn on this truck and tire combo. I did most of my driving up and down hills and along main and side streets in 2wd. The few times I had to put it in 4wd Hi were due to going up and down hills notorious for being poorly treated or being off camber (my turn into my street is fun in the ice). The ride dry is fantastic. They are very soft and smooth.

I do not know what people are thinking about for road noise. Then again I have the truck buttoned up due to the cold. The tire noise in the 4runner is equal to the engine noise when driving at regular speed off the highway. I will have to listen in the Spring and Summer to see if there is something else I am missing.

Anyways, these are 55-60K tires. Let's see if they are like the HTS' I had and get me within 1K of the stated mileage limit.

You'll be very happy with them! I ran them on my Jeep a few years ago and have them on my Taco now and love them. Its all we run on the 1/2 ton's and 3/4 ton's at my work now, we get a lot of running out of them. They do a lot of towing and are always loaded up and they still hold up very well.

Adventurous

Explorer
Cool man! I had a set of AT2s on my old Tacoma and had no complaints about them. Granted I never got a chance to use them in snow or very muddy conditions, but I was perfectly happy with them for their on-road manners and dry conditions off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior