New shoe advice. 2012 JKU

Anonymark

Observer
Haven't posted in a while. After getting back from our 2013 trip and putting about 10,000 miles on my 285/75 17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, it's time for new tires. I had 33 x 12.5 15 Duratracs on 15' mb 72 wheels and upgraded to Nitto Terra grapplers on Level 8 17" trackers. I hate the Nitto's. My mileage has dropped to 14 mpg and the ride is rough. I'm looking to switch out to Duratrac 285/70/17. I'd like to keep the tires under the fenders and have a smoother ride, so I'm thinking the 315/70/17 Duratracs are out. We are planning on adding a teardrop trailer to the mix next year, and I'm thinking the 285 Duratracs could also go on the teardrop....

Thought I'd ask for some opinions here.

Forgot to add: 2012 Unlimited Sport on a 2.5 AEV lift and 3.73 gearing.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
ST Maxx gets my votes...been driving on them for the last 3 days and they are a lot quieter than the DuraTracs I just took off....

Anonymark

Observer
ST Maxx gets my votes...been driving on them for the last 3 days and they are a lot quieter than the DuraTracs I just took off....

Ohhh Choices. Going to do some looking at the Maxx. How are they in snow? I'm in the Northeast for Daily Driving.

da10A

Adventurer
Personnally, I run and recommend the Duratracs. They are extremely quiet for the looks and having gone through my second Canadian winter, I cannot say enough good things about them. I believe that the 285/70 is the max that should be ran with 3.73 gears with the pentastar and flashcal.

mtnjp

Observer
cooper.jpg Just got some Cooper ST Max's yesterday 255/80 17. Going to try them out tomorrow in Big Bear

Mitch502

Explorer
Check my sig for more details. I have a ZJ w/ Duratracs. I haven't put many miles on them, but they're AWESOME so far.

Anonymark

Observer
Thank you for all the opinions. I'm going to go with 285/70/17 Duratracs. They are a bit smaller than the Nitto Terra's that I have on now, but I'm not a rock crawler. Just a DD and some fire trails.

Volley

I just put the ST Maxxs on my 4runner and love them. Pretty smooth and quiet ride especially for such aggressive tread. Haven't put enough miles on them to give a long term review

Lt Dan

Observer
Duratracs here!

Severe Snow rating on Duratracs means everything to me.

Not only for snow/packed snow but that rating helps reduce hydro planning.

Two cents,

Lt Dan

CCH

Adventurer
My ST Maxx have done very well in some extreme snow here in Colorado. Somewhat noisier than the crap stock tires, but I did not notice a mileage drop off. Running the 255/75/17 size though.

steve_r2

Cooper AT 3s are definitely worth a look as well. It was a toss up between them and the ST Maxx can't say I have been disappointed at all in varying conditions with them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior