New Rig - Toyota Townace Camper Van - Storage Needs

Toyolo_VanLife

Just recently acquired this 1991 Toyota Camper Van. Super excited to get it dialed in further, I just installed a D2 airtronic heater into the other week, so far so good.

I have hopes to use this during the ski season and need to figure out a viable solution for storage, so far I have two ideas:

1. Installing a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform on top of the pop-up top and add load assist hinges for the new extra weight... however the only way to access the roof with be adding a ladder, probably requires customer work.
2. Installing a rear hitch and bumper, however it would require complete custom fabrication, because of the rareness of the vehicle and water tanks in the back.

I guess I'm wondering if I should avoid adding anything to the roof/fiberglass body? It's the quickest and potentially the cheaper way to added storage, but i know it'll impact the MPG. Are there other reasons not to?

View attachment 379548 View attachment 379547 View attachment 379546

Attachments

• 20161027_141750-Medium.jpg
    20161027_141750-Medium.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20161023_160405-Medium.jpg
    20161023_160405-Medium.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20161023_155721-Medium.jpg
    20161023_155721-Medium.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 22

Clutch

<---Pass
So much awesome...need some interior shots!

I would go with a rear bumper or even just a hitch...and use a receiver hitch rack for the skis. Though, imagine the skis would get trashed from road grime back there. Somehow attach a roof box to the back of it, so the skis are protected.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I would consider attaching a rooftop type ski carrier on the back wall above the licence plate - you can do it using "well nuts" or "Riv-nuts" from just the outside - just use multiples of them to give it enough strength per attachment point. Having them up high on the back should keep them somewhat cleaner.

I wouldn't go with a roof rack - too much unnecessary weight - a better option would be a rocket box rooftop carrier especially since it is lockable and fairly watertight) and then a side mounted ladder like you see on a lot of tall vans (although I think it is better on the driver's side where it is easier to avoid roadside things like bushes and bike riders). You could even put a rear mounted ladder right over the license plate area which would allow you to reach two rocket boxes perhaps - can you walk on the top when it is closed?

1dd76f6b2f59e46850c7957f796e1620.jpg

gtbensley

Explorer
That thing is awesome! I was watching it on CG for a while, glad someone on here snagged it. Whats that got for a motor in it? 4x4 as well if I remember correctly.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
What, exactly are you looking to put in the storage add-ons? Someone mentioned skis, is this correct? Also, what are your storage needs? For stowing items while driving, while camping, while driving and camping?

Whatever it is, if you storage container will be installed on the rear of the van you'll need to make sure the walls of the van can support the weight of the storage unit.

What's the interior look like? Any dead spaces you can convert to storage?

Toyolo_VanLife

My gut says to go with a hitch option, I'll need one eventually to carry the mtb bikes and I can always use ski bags to protect against road crud. By eyes would love to see a ladder opposite wall of the side door, with a rack and lights, would look sweet as well.

Interesting thoughts about the ski box on the back, unfortunately my skis are about 183cm and with the license plate location, positioning the box above will be too much length.

gtbensley: Its a 5 speed manual, Toyota 2C Diesel engine

huskyhauler

Adventurer
See if they make front hitches for your van. That may be a quick, bolt on option for you while you figure something else out.

IMG_20141004_142551.jpg

Corneilius

Adventurer
I LOVE my front hitch and hitch basket, but make sure you run a "Dune Flag" or something...youll forget its there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne