New rig - Toyota Townace Camper Van - Exterior Needs

Toyolo_VanLife

Just recently acquired this 1991 Toyota Camper Van. Super excited to get it dialed in further, I just installed a D2 airtronic heater into the other week, so far so good.

I have hopes to use this during the ski season and need to figure out a viable solution for storage, so far I have two ideas:

1. Installing a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform on top of the pop-up top and add load assist hinges for the new extra weight... however the only way to access the roof with be adding a ladder, probably requires customer work.
2. Installing a rear hitch and bumper, however it would require complete custom fabrication, because of the rareness of the vehicle and water tanks in the back.

I guess I'm wondering if I should avoid adding anything to the roof/fiberglass body? It's the quickest and potentially the cheaper way to added storage, but i know it'll impact the MPG. Are there other reasons not to?

20161023_155721-Medium.jpg 20161023_160405-Medium.jpg 20161027_141750-Medium.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
So much awesome...need some interior shots!

I would go with a rear bumper or even just a hitch...and use a receiver hitch rack for the skis. Though, imagine the skis would get trashed from road grime back there. Somehow attach a roof box to the back of it, so the skis are protected.

First of all: Awesome vehicle!!

I wouldn't worry about adding weight to the fiberglass. It's easy to strengthen by adding more glass at mounting points or if you mount the rack and find it is too much for the roof, it is easy to repair and improve at that time. But it would result in more wind resistance and a raised center of gravity.

I like clutch's idea of a box on back. It would increase your overall length, but it would probably be less of a negative effect on fuel efficiency and easier to access your gear.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I would either put a ski carrier (like used on rooftops) on the back wall up above the license plate - or - use a rooftop Yakima "rocket box" type carrier or even two on top. Putting a big metal rack on the roof isn't necessary - the rocket boxes are much lighter and more aerodynamic and fairly water proof. You could put a ladder on the side (like a lot of people in tall vans use - see the photo) or put one on the back where the rear plate is. I like the ladder on the inside where it doesn't hit roadside bushes and bicyclists myself and is easy for the driver to keep an eye on - but your van is probably RHD... With the ladder on the back you could probably access two of the rocket boxes.

Can you stand on the roof - is it very strong? You can attach something to the sides with "well nuts" or "Riv-nuts" from just one side - just use several for each attachment point with an aluminum plate on the outside to spread out the load. The roof is trickier as you might want to attach to any metal framework they have in it - get a big strong magnet and see where the top is reinforced (unless it's framework is aluminum).

1ea8533b64130510d2354b3777c67f57.jpg

Last edited:

FJOE

Regular Dude
That thing is pretty rad! Where did you get it? I've seen a few (though not so nice) in a couple parts of West Africa.

borison

Adventurer
Very sweet camper! Where did you get it? Never seen one before, and I've researched the hell out of the these Toyota 4x4s. Please post some interior pics soon. A Yakima or Thule box on top seems like a good call. Have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier