NEW RIG: 2012 F-150 FX4

D45

Explorer
After reading and reading a reading more posts and articles on catch cans, and watching reviews and videos of installs..........I went with the JLT passenger side kit

Yes, having a can on the driver side and passenger side is best, but also most costly

From my readings, the passenger side takes in the most oil residue and the passenger side benefits the most from a can

Yes, the JLT is only 3 ounces, but I believe it will be enough

I ordered it today from Stage3Motorsports and hopefully it will be in soon

D45

Explorer
JLT Can Catch kit arrive and it was quickly installed.........this is the 'dirty' passenger can that seems to be more effective at catching oil, rather than the 'clean side' (driver)

I did trim about two 2" slots in the engine cover........one for each hose to sit into. I felt otherwise the hoses were slightly pinched

Seems like a good overall kit, installed in about 15 minutes

20171110_154236_zpsx56y2nnr.jpg

20171110_154256_zpsgoad2yx9.jpg

20171110_154321_zps13waqqu4.jpg

20171110_154325_zps7wumhj6o.jpg

Factory PVC line removed
20171110_160759_zpszh524b7w.jpg

20171110_160807_zpslsm8ggbr.jpg

20171110_160825_zpsxbqaf0ac.jpg

20171110_160849_zpsnglweezc.jpg

20171110_160844_zpskfofge8d.jpg

D45

Explorer
Look at this nasty stuff, after only a week of driving.........Imagine it would otherwise all be going into the motor

20171118_120708_zpslixm2zhu.jpg

20171118_120711_zpstyxdffzn.jpg

D45

Explorer
Does anyone else think their F150 sucks terribly in the snow?

Is the truck too light weight?

Maybe it is the Duratrac tires?

My other truck could go through anything and everything, just with the LSD rear..........was it the weight of the one ton diesel that made that HUGE of a difference?

D45

Explorer
Thankfully, I checked the catch can tonight......

It was almost full, after only 2 weeks the can filled up with almost 3 ounces of Ford quality mocha mixtures

I cant imagine how many fluid ounces the truck typically would ingest over a 12 month period

20171230_193914_zpslirp0i37.jpg

20171230_193923_zpsj4z4byzm.jpg

I also found out that the truck drives so much better with the traction control turned off

My winter MPGs have dropped to 13.1, yay Ecoboost!!!

stingray1300

Explorer

My other truck could go through anything and everything, just with the LSD rear..........was it the weight of the one ton diesel that made that HUGE of a difference?

The very nature of a gas engine makes it more "slippery". I.e. "instant-on" power. Diesels ramp up power/torque, allowing for less wheel spinning. If you'll notice, there's "1" and a "2" on your console shifter pattern. The sole reason for the "2" is for low traction situations where a slower than normal application of torque will help the situation. The duratracs are supposed to be really good in the snow! (?) Definitely the most popular tire in northern B.C.. everybody runs them up there. Are they worn?

Thankfully, I checked the catch can tonight......

It was almost full, after only 2 weeks the can filled up with almost 3 ounces of Ford quality mocha mixtures

I cant imagine how many fluid ounces the truck typically would ingest over a 12 month period

I also found out that the truck drives so much better with the traction control turned off

My winter MPGs have dropped to 13.1, yay Ecoboost!!!

The mpg drop is *usually* the winter blends of gasoline (?). Funny, the catch can thing must be regional. I've had my EcoBoost for almost 5 years, and always inspect my plugs when I change them (4 times now @ 55k), and have never seen any evidence of moisture inclusion anywhere is the engine. Have you had the newest TSB done on your truck? It's supposed to have finally fixed the issues (TSB 14-0017)

D45

Explorer
The Duratracs are worn, but no where near needing replacement.........I would hope to easily get two more years out of them

stingray1300

Explorer
Ford told me that this TSB is only for 2013-2014 trucks

Mmm. They're right. Check TSB 12-11-15. The verbiage in 14-0017 states (regarding '13-'14s) "...built before 12/16/2013...". Basically they say to remove all the deflectors and reprogram the PCM. Calls for 0.5 hours.
Which engineering number do you have on the CAC? AB, AC or AD? (paper tag on driver's side of CAC)?

ferg101

It's the tires.
I rode around this weekend with my friend with his 1500 z71 with duratracs. For being a praised "winter" tire, they were terrible on winter street conditions. He had to stay in AWD just to leave stop signs. Offroad in the snow, they are good. On the street with snow, they perform poorly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D45

Explorer
Basically they say to remove all the deflectors and reprogram the PCM.
Which engineering number do you have on the CAC? AB, AC or AD? (paper tag on driver's side of CAC)?

The deflectors in the intake and intercooler pipes? Mine are removed

I will have to check the tag..........no idea

D45

Explorer
All four tires still have the siping in the tread, plenty rubber left and the siping is still in tact

GreggNY

I had duratracs on my last jeep for 40,000 miles and thought they were phenomenal in the snow from a coating to blizzard deep here in NY (12”+). I found that most times I didn't even need to be in 4wd. That said, I did have an F150 for a while with the stock Hancook tires on it and wasn't impressed traction wise. Obviously very different tires but maybe the light rear end of an F150 doesn't plant the tires like a relatively heavy JKU? Just a though before the tires get the blame. I've never heard of anyone complaining about duractracs performing in the snow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles