New Renogy "Eclipse" 100w solar panels (higher efficiency, smaller frame)

adam88

Explorer
I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention that Renogy has released a new 100w Eclipse solar panel. It is basically the same as the (now discontinued) Grape Solar panel. It uses sun power cells.
Basically, they fit a 100w solar panel into a 40"x20" frame, instead of their usual 47"x21" frame.
This is a huge advantage for expedition vehicles because space is so precious. The downside? Well the panels cost 60% more. It's a luxury item, but efficiency costs money! Anyways, I was really happy to see Renogy release these because since Grape Solar discontinued their sun power panels (due to shortage of cells) there was no other option around. Looks like Renogy has stepped up.
Here's the link: http://www.renogy-store.com/Renogy-Eclipse-100-Watt-12-Volt-Mono-Solar-Panel-p/rng-100mb.htm

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
eh, progress is progress? :coffee:

Unfortunate that the solar industry seems to have hit a brick wall the past decade or so.

mikekey

Deplorable
These panels match the same specs as the Grape Solar GS100 panels that used to be sold by AMSolar. Greg Holder designed the panels and sourced the Sun Power cells that Grape Solar used in the GS-100 and GS-135 modules. Prior to that, Grape only dealt in the residential market. What was to be an AM Solar exclusive soon began showing up at Hope Depot, Amazon, etc. Sort of a sellout I would think. They both have been discontinued since Sun Power has stopped making the high efficiency cells. These cells required a back-contact assembly process which was also more expensive to apply so that no silver wiring is visible across the cell faces. The few remaining pallets of GS-100 panels are now available only in Springfield from AM Solar.

But, a contact at Renolgy has confirmed, these are SunPowered cells, and the specs are identical, but they are using a thicker glass which adds 2lbs of weight. The GS panels weigh in at 14lbs. I have these panels on my Airstream.

These panels from Renogy are a hell of a steal, and would be worth it over similar 100 watt panels when you look at the size of the panels.

12496214_1528938900735805_2210836127187597912_o.jpg

12377543_1515840272045668_5467902052084500334_o.jpg

I am hoping these panels end up out of their store and on Amazon soon, becuase I'd like to buy 3 and build a 300-watt ground deploy.

fiddypal

Adventurer
Thanks for that very informative post mikekey, that's exactly what I was after.

I also am waiting for these to pop up on amazon, I have the normal 100 watt one on my wish list already :)

adam88

Explorer
These panels match the same specs as the Grape Solar GS100 panels that used to be sold by AMSolar. Greg Holder designed the panels and sourced the Sun Power cells that Grape Solar used in the GS-100 and GS-135 modules. Prior to that, Grape only dealt in the residential market. What was to be an AM Solar exclusive soon began showing up at Hope Depot, Amazon, etc. Sort of a sellout I would think. They both have been discontinued since Sun Power has stopped making the high efficiency cells. These cells required a back-contact assembly process which was also more expensive to apply so that no silver wiring is visible across the cell faces. The few remaining pallets of GS-100 panels are now available only in Springfield from AM Solar.

But, a contact at Renolgy has confirmed, these are SunPowered cells, and the specs are identical, but they are using a thicker glass which adds 2lbs of weight. The GS panels weigh in at 14lbs. I have these panels on my Airstream.

These panels from Renogy are a hell of a steal, and would be worth it over similar 100 watt panels when you look at the size of the panels.

Great history lesson. I am not sure if the sun power cells were ever discontinued. I contacted Grape Solar and asked why these panels were discontinued and they told me "cost". They said it was a complicated issue of tariffs which increased the cost of doing business in China. They kept using these cells in flexible panels and so the cells were available. What I wonder is why Renogy is able to put out a panel for $220 but GS couldn't. Maybe better pricing from china?

fiddypal

Adventurer
Amazon is great for returns and interest free financing for 6 months on purchases over 150 and 12 months on purchases over a higher dollar amount if you are a prime member.

On big ticket items like appliances and tvs they give you 2 years. That's why I love them.

adam88

Explorer
Amazon is great for returns and interest free financing for 6 months on purchases over 150 and 12 months on purchases over a higher dollar amount if you are a prime member.

On big ticket items like appliances and tvs they give you 2 years. That's why I love them.

I had no idea they offered that kind of perk. Well, these panels are now listed on Amazon... looks like they will ship them soon. They are sold and shipped by "amazon.com" but "out of stock" I guess because Renogy is still sending them stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-RNG-100MB-Eclipse-Monocrystalline-Solar/dp/B01B3TEM1E/

fiddypal

Adventurer
Just be aware, even if you have awesome credit amazon will still give you a low limit to start until you get some payment history with them.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Weird that Amazon calls them Rangy half the time and Renogy the other half. Probably an auto-correct thing since one is an actual word and the other is the brand.

adam88

Explorer
Weird that Amazon calls them Rangy half the time and Renogy the other half. Probably an auto-correct thing since one is an actual word and the other is the brand.

Ive never once seen Rangy. I typed rangy into amazon and nothing came up. Maybe your browser is doing the autocorrect? Weird.

Edit: Oh I see in the product description... not the title. Yes that is funny :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles