New Raptor..Ram killer

Mike W.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
To me it makes sense, Ford has the motor to do it.

The biggest gripe I have with my Raptor is the sound it makes. A V8 solves that in a hurry!

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
To me it makes sense, Ford has the motor to do it.

The biggest gripe I have with my Raptor is the sound it makes. A V8 solves that in a hurry!

I think everyone agrees that they have the ability to do it, it just seems like they might seem like they're backtracking after pushing the ecoboost engine as the flagship engine and a superior engine at that. Not saying that everything has to make sense to sell, but people still wax poetically about the 6.2L V8 in the GEN1 when the GEN2 has more power, torque and gets better MPG. I do remember back in 2012 or 13 when there were rumors of the [older] Ecoboost becoming available in the Raptor for the final year [2014], and I was both excited because honestly that probably would have been the engine I would have selected but also nervous because if they were just trying to push more boost to get significantly higher numbers than the 6.2 what would the effect be on overall lifespan of that engine?

yfarm

Observer
The local Ford dealer I ordered my F250 from has a new 2019 Raptor on the lot. My son who drives an M4 and previously an M3 and I took it for a drive. From my perspective of a Gen 1 owner I was underwelmed by the acceleration and turbo lag, son felt the same compared with the Ms. I know what the numbers say but my seat of the pants didnt feel it. Nice truck overall. Wonder what a tweaked 7.3 would feel like.

Explorerinil

Observer

Surprised it took 2 weeks..oh no another surprised..
I saw a video of the new raptor in camo out testing, looks like rear coils like the ram trucks have, still had that wimpy moan of a v6 to it.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
I suspect the Eco will be the standard engine, the 5.2 will be something like a GT500 is to a Mustang.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I suspect the same.

The Ecoboost's only downside is the terrible exhaust note.

Everything else is gravy, especially for a vehicle like the Raptor. Good power, excellent torque curve, and light weight.

Jacobm

I'd be willing to bet there's two trims of Raptor coming, or they move the Raptor upmarket a smidge and make a cheaper new trim. V8 Raptor with the GT500 engine or some such, and something Ecoboost powered and not quite as over the top to target the regular Rebel. I wish they'd make the FX4 package more than shocks and a stamped skid plate.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I'd be willing to bet there's two trims of Raptor coming, or they move the Raptor upmarket a smidge and make a cheaper new trim. V8 Raptor with the GT500 engine or some such, and something Ecoboost powered and not quite as over the top to target the regular Rebel. I wish they'd make the FX4 package more than shocks and a stamped skid plate.

If they ran an upper and lower trim it would be kind of a bummer. This may be semantics but if they had a regular model and special edition limited run that had V8s that would be cool, but I betcha those would easily flirt with 6 figures..... before the dealer markup.

Also the FX4 package is damn shame because they could do so much more to it from the showroom. Better skidplates, better shocks, lockers, etc... At least the Tremor seems to be a step in the right direction, perhaps that trim level trickles down to the F150.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier