New Raptor..Ram killer

MTVR

LOL, this is what a GT is supposed to sound like, the brakes screeching like an old school bus and all.

I'm not really a fan of the British Lola Mk 6, especially when it was rebadged as the "Ford" GT40 (Notice what side the steering wheel is on?).

It was not able to compete with the Porsche 917 anyway...

Last edited:

Mike W.

I hope both companies come out with the V8 big horse motors. I have got to play with the upgraded Hellcat motor at a little under 900 HP..Fun as hell in street dress..High HP motors are also lousy for tough tight off-road situations, mud and to a lesser degree sand..But they do look great at the Starbucks drive thru..

MTVR

I have got to play with the upgraded Hellcat motor at a little under 900 HP..Fun as hell in street dress...

What "upgraded Hellcat motor at a little under 900 HP" are you talking about? The Hellkitten is only 707 horsepower...

MTVR

Since we are talking about 900 horsepower, Le Mans racers, and incredible exhaust sounds all in the same thread, I suppose we should bring up the 24 Hours of Le Mans winning Mazda 787B.

900 horsepower out of 2.6 liters (160 cubic inches), muffled, on gasoline, with no turbo, no supercharger, no nitrous, and no pistons, back in 1991.

WAY less than half the weight of the Hellkitty.

And a sound like no other:

Mike W.

What "upgraded Hellcat motor at a little under 900 HP" are you talking about? The Hellkitten is only 707 horsepower...
Fairly simple upgrades really. Bigger pulley on the supercharger and injector upgrade..not rocket science..

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
That's no exhaust note.
This is an exhaust note:

We were guests of Team Kalitta that day. The noise from that engine in the pit was excruciatingly delightful.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I don't get hp wars. Reliability,handling,braking sure.

I guess "performance trucks" like the Raptor and TRX are the new "sports cars."

Not so much built for "performance" as for bragging rights and P3N15 measuring contests. :rolleyes:

In a way it makes sense. Much easier to stuff a big V8 into a body-on-frame pickup than to try and shoehorn one into a modern car.

And really who makes "cars" these days anyway? It's all CUVs/SUVs/Pickups.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Kia, Toyota, Nissan, etc.

But we at least still have the 'Vette, Challenger, Charger, 'Stang, Camaro. For now.

Which is interesting...it's almost as if the target market for these "performance pickups" is the guy going through a mid life crisis who knows that if he buys a Corvette or Challenger, everyone's going to say "Oh, Tom must be going through a mid life crisis, that's why he bought that fast car."

So the "fast pickup" gives him performance but also deniability: "No, it's a PICKUP. It's PRACTICAL!" :ROFLMAO:

MTVR

Fairly simple upgrades really. Bigger pulley on the supercharger and injector upgrade..not rocket science..

A bigger pulley on the supercharger would make it turn SLOWER, producing LESS boost and LESS horsepower.

With a SMALLER 2.85 pulley, a 180 degree thermostat, a race air filter, upgraded injectors, and a tune, you might see 750 horsepower on 93 octane gas...

Last edited:

Grassland

What sorcery has that Mazda rotary making that kind of HP without boost or juice??

I like how we are all lamenting about how under powered our 400+ HP production vehicles are these days.

In high school I remember being excited about the Z06 Corvette, which if I recall was something like 400 HP and a 0-60 of around 4 seconds.

Now our crossovers have NA V6s pushing 300 HP, and full size trucks all run 350-450 HP NA V8s or turbo sixes.

Mike W.

A bigger pulley on the supercharger would make it turn SLOWER, producing LESS boost and LESS horsepower.

With a SMALLER 2.85 pulley, a 180 degree thermostat, a race air filter, upgraded injectors, and a tune, you might see 750 horsepower on 93 octane gas...
LOL..ok...seems the Dyno sheet disputes your pure genius but whatever..

MTVR

What sorcery has that Mazda rotary making that kind of HP without boost or juice?

No sorcery- it's just a peripheral port engine, where the stock side intake ports are filled in with epoxy, and the new intake ports take the form of a tube going straight through the rotor housing.

Keep in mind that this is also a four-rotor engine. A 1.3 liter 80 cubic inch two-rotor engine would produce about half that power.

I used to race NHRA Pro ET in Division 6 with a nearly stock 1.1 liter 70 cubic inch engine (no peripheral ports). I used bridge ports, which are a modification of the stock side ports. I ported it by hand, using templates purchased from Racing Beat, and built the engine on a chair in my kitchen. On pump gas, it made about 250 horsepower with a little Holley 600 "double-pumper" carburetor, which was enough to push the car into the 11s at 2300 pounds weight.

Last edited:

MTVR

The Hellkitten's biggest challenge, is that no matter how much horsepower it makes, it still weighs over 4,500 pounds. It's never going to be able to keep up with something like the 3,500-pound 700-horsepower twin-turbo Porsche 911 GT2 RS "Widowmaker"...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior