New R50 Pathfinder Part 2 with Pics. Donkey

PrecisionX

Observer
So I went off the grid and ended up with a completely different tire because of cost and just wanting to try something new. I just wasn't feeling spending $1,000 on tires for a mild build especially considering the tires wouldn't be that much better if at all.

I went with Khumo Road Venture AT51s. They are a P metric all terrain tire that just replaced the original Road Venture AT. 245/75/16 and they were $596.00 for 4, out the door with a 4 wheel alignment included. These are bad night pics but at least it's something.

RG5384

Observer
Looking good. I did the visual lift on mine as well(removed the running boards), gives you a solid 2" "visual lift" :D. I left my mud flaps on, and haven't managed to rip them off yet. I do scrape them on rocks constantly though, so they are probably going soon.

That is a steal for a set of all terrains. You will have to let us know how they perform off the pavement. I'm running 245/75/16 General Grabber AT's but want to up to 32's or 33's here shortly. I'd love to find a set that didn't set me back over a grand.....

PrecisionX

Observer
If you look at the tread you wouldn't think they were very capable but there has to be something behind it. The more and more I see off road rigs in other countries the more I notice their tires aren't mud terrains or some super aggressive tread pattern all terrain. I figured Khumo was a good tire and if they say it's all terrain I might as well find out myself for under $600 bucks. I'm not one to cheap out on tires, can't stand those types of people but $959 for BFG KO2 in the same size couldn't be justified especially considering I highly doubt my wheeling skills would allow them to shine any more than the AT51s would.

onemanarmy

Explorer
BFG puts ALOT of R/D into their "off road" tires, and they do make a good product. they are expensive.

if you need off road max traction and sidewall strength, then get the more expensive tires.

around here, all you see is trucks with these big expensive tires getting eroded by the pavement.

PrecisionX

Observer
SURPRISE! Decided to do an oil change today on my day off and after I pull down that stupid plastic shield I find that it looks like dude hit or slid into a rock. From driving it at any speed I would have had no idea unless I saw it. Hopefully this isn't a huge deal.

PrecisionX

Observer
So after an estimate it's going to be $1800.00 to replace the subframe up front. The previous owner is sending me a check for $1,000 of it though.

In other news after having these Khumo Road Venture AT51s on for a few days I just can't shake the regret feeling of not getting what I truly wanted so I'm utilizing the 30 day road test guarantee and swapping them out for a set of these in the same size

PrecisionX

Observer
I don't even pay attention. Gas is $2 something a gallon and you have to run super with the vq35de. If money is tight enough that fuel economy is a concern I wouldn't bother with one

Allof75

Pathfinder
Wow, that's a heck of a hit it took there. I wonder what caused that. Those Toyos are good tires, I had them before my Coopers, and they did quite well. They last an extremely long time too, I think you'll be happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne