New Purchase

nickbozilov

Looking to purchase a 1999 LC, 157k miles for $12,900. All service done at the dealer. My only issue with the car is that the transfer case was replaced... I was on the carfax that there was a tire replaced about 50k before the transfer case was replaced. Could a mismatched tread-depth tire on one corner cause this? Should this replacement concern me?

Thanks for any info/advice in advance!

newworld2004

Adventurer
Looking to purchase a 1999 LC, 157k miles for $12,900. All service done at the dealer. My only issue with the car is that the transfer case was replaced... I was on the carfax that there was a tire replaced about 50k before the transfer case was replaced. Could a mismatched tread-depth tire on one corner cause this? Should this replacement concern me?

Thanks for any info/advice in advance!
is n't asking price is too high for 99? I believe you can get 2000 and up for this price.

nickbozilov

Probably could but the low miles and lack of others are making me lean towards this one. I’d love to find an 08-11 200 series...

phsycle

Adventurer
99 is nice, as it has a rear locker. 2-pinion front diff is weaker than later years, but good excuse to go ARB.

If it's really clean, maintained well, no rust, it could be a good buy.

tplane2

At that price point I'd want the steering rack and the second timing belt replaced. You can get a really clean 03+ for that. The transmission is worth it.

Mojay101

A rust free well maintained example might be worth it if it meets your expectations. The transmission in 03 and up is nice but only on interstate. It doesn’t help w acceleration. I’m biased, but I love my 99 w rear locker. Maintenance and rust should be the variables that would sway me. The price is high but not laughable. See what room there is and go for it if you like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdferrero

A rust free well maintained example might be worth it if it meets your expectations. The transmission in 03 and up is nice but only on interstate. It doesn’t help w acceleration. I’m biased, but I love my 99 w rear locker. Maintenance and rust should be the variables that would sway me. The price is high but not laughable. See what room there is and go for it if you like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have it backwards there, the 5-speed would be of more help around city. The 4th (1.00) and 5th (.716) gear are relatively equivalent to that of the 3rd (1.00) and 4th (.753) gears of the 4-speed. You'd get about 1 MPG better on the highway with a 5-speed. But, as for the OP, buy the newest LC you can afford.

nickw

Adventurer
You have it backwards there, the 5-speed would be of more help around city. The 4th (1.00) and 5th (.716) gear are relatively equivalent to that of the 3rd (1.00) and 4th (.753) gears of the 4-speed. You'd get about 1 MPG better on the highway with a 5-speed. But, as for the OP, buy the newest LC you can afford.
Not really equivalent since final drive ratios are different....4 spd @ 4.30 vs 5 spd @ 4.10.

The 5 spd LC's have a deeper 1st and lower OD.

Reactions: GTV

tdferrero

Not really equivalent since final drive ratios are different....4 spd @ 4.30 vs 5 spd @ 4.10.

The 5 spd LC's have a deeper 1st and lower OD.
You're right, for some reason I was under the incorrect impression they had the same final drive for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke