New project 720

Paddy

Adventurer
Hey I just picked up an old 720 in fairly stock condition. Not sure what direction it will go, but I'm wondering if there are any locker options for the rear axle? I think it's called a C200 axle from what I can tell, and likely has 4.10's but that's all I know. Looks like an arb is available but I don't want to put 1600$ into a 200$ truck just yet.
Also, any wisdom pertaining to these rigs that anyone wants to share would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Barrows

Adventurer
Did you really buy that for $200? Want to make a road trip........:coffee drink:......I will give you 3x that....

Paddy

Adventurer
Yeah, but I've got 3x that into it now, after a trip to DMV for tags, title, deq (emissions check, passed first try!) and various parts like balljoints and oil filters and whatnot. It drives pretty well, and everything works, however I'm considering a weber carb for it since they only $200 and sounds like a good upgrade. I already have a nice tacoma so I'm not sure why I picked this up, just couldn't resist for the $. Plus, Ive known all the previous owners of the truck.
Looks like lokka makes a locker for the rear only, and very reasonable priced so I might have to dig into the axle sometime soon.

I'll post a pic of the bed on this truck, it's better shape than most 1 yr old trucks! No rust and all gold paint still there!

Allof75

Pathfinder
Neat truck! Take some more pics if you get the chance. :) On the locker, a quick search shows ARBs at ruggedrocks (Steve the man) and you may be able to get a deal there. Otherwise lokka seem to be a cool option, though not common in the states.

Paddy

Adventurer
now I'm already thinking about motor swaps but I'm probably about a decade too new as I'd be required to run this thing through emissions control. Does anyone know if the weber 32/36 carb conversion can be run through emissions?

Last edited:

Paddy

Adventurer
Okay new plan for the 720. We will fix up the truck over this year and then come next fall, drive it south into central mexico. Any ideas what spares to bring? Considering a new radiator as I believe it is stock and was reported to overheat a bit under load last summer. Evertyhing else probably common stock in mex anyway though, seems like the typical vehicle down there.

Paddy

Adventurer
Okay as promised! I did want to show you guy the bed on this thing, as you will likely never ever see a better condition bed! It was literally used for hauling feathers only. Even the weather seems to have hardly touched his queen, despite being outdoors it's whole life. I also have a 2012 tacoma, and the funny thing is that this old 84' is more fun to drive than the new rig! It's just fun. Starts up and drives great.

Yesterday got two new falken Rocky Mountains, for the front. They are 30x9.50x15

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    461 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 17

RangerXLT

Adventurer
Subscribed. My grandpa purchased a 720 brand new when I was a kid. Always loved that truck especially considering I learned to spit sunflower seeds and drive a manual in it. Great looking truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paddy

Adventurer
I think the plan is basically put a 50$ canopy on it and sit on it until December when we will drive it to Mexico and have fun! Before then I'm thinking about adjusting the valves and possibly put new valve seals on, as it sucks a bit of oil now and then. Also possibly a weber carb, but honestly, maybe not. It runs well enough as it is. Maybe needs a radiator. Anyone have suggestions of places to buy a radiator? I hear mexico can get hot, and has hills.

Not very overland,mor expedition, but thus having the advantage of blending in south of the border and not costing too many arms and legs as well.

Heading Out

Adventurer
I had a couple of these trucks, for an expo truck the only things I'd change is to get rid of the auto locking front hubs and swap on manual set and add a good set of shocks.
The 720 4x4's have fairly good clearance from the factory,but, the torsion bar adjusters do hang a little low.
Do as you said and perform a full service, belts, hoses, fluids, oil, filters etc. shell on the back and set it up for expo.

I explored all over the Mojave and they never let me down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz