New Product / James Baroud Tunnel Awning

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
We are excited to announce the new Tunnel Awning from James Baroud. The Tunnel Awning is James Baroud's answer for an all weather annex while maintaining the wind ratings of their roof top tents. The system is constructed of either the 79" or 98" awning with an additional tunnel that is attached to the tent by the current door zippers and a channel installed on the upper shell of the Evasion, Explorer or Grand Raid model tents. Pricing will be available in the coming weeks and kits will be shipping this August!

Last edited:
Interesting. Do you have any promotional/preview photos?

// edit - ah, I see you've added some photos, but they're on the dreaded photobucket which never actually loads for me. (Photobucket is garbage - use imgur.com. :))

// edit2 - this is what I see:

:(

// edit3 - managed to load the images by changing HTTPS to HTTP... after several attempts.

Here they are:

<removed - see original post>

Last edited:
Interesting. Do you have any promotional/preview photos?

// edit - ah, I see you've added some photos, but they're on the dreaded photobucket which never actually loads for me. (Photobucket is garbage - use imgur.com. :))
I agree with you on that one ;)

Edit: Looks like you also uploaded them to imgur! I'll have Rin edit the first post ;)

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty wicked product.

A few questions:

1. What sizes does the awning come in? Your first post mentions 79" or 98" options - are these the width of the awning (ie. along the truck), or the length of the awning (ie. perpendicular to the truck)?

2. Does the awning have to be positioned perfectly inline with the tent's door? If not, how much side-to-side flexibility could one have? (If something else interferes with the positioning of the awning on the truck.)

3. Is the awning mounted on the rack underneath the tent, or the bottom of the tent itself? Are there any other positioning requirements, such as being within a certain distance (in or out) of the tent's edge, or a certain height below the tent?

4. How does the upper channel install on the tent? Does it require drilling or other permanent modifications of the tents? Is it left in place when the tent gets closed, or does it need to be removed?

5. If the tent/awning is mounted lower to the ground than in the photos (ex. mid-height bed-rack on a truck), can the awning be setup so that the far edge (furthest from the truck) sits higher than the near edge? ie. is there some up/down flexibility in the attachment points of the side poles?

6. Any chance we could get a setup video?

Last edited:

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
We are excited to announce the new Tunnel Awning from James Baroud. The Tunnel Awning is James Baroud's answer for an all weather annex while maintaining the wind ratings of their roof top tents. The system is constructed of either the 79" or 98" awning with an additional tunnel that is attached to the tent by the current door zippers and a channel installed on the upper shell of the Evasion, Explorer or Grand Raid model tents. Pricing will be available in the coming weeks and kits will be shipping this August!
I had this idea several years ago, but since I don't have the materials, tools & skills I've been waiting for some manufacturer to "read my mind"...lol. I wonder if they'll have a model for the clamshell type(pivot at front). Also could you adapt it for other brands? (I have a CVT.) Will they have a wall kit available? (sorry, Brent-I reread your previous post and you already asked)

Looking forward to pricing, etc. Does the awning come with optional walls too?
The awning appears similar to JB's new generation awning (without the tunnel), so I would expect that the optional walls that fit to the awning also fit the new tunnel awning.

rino

The awning appears similar to JB's new generation awning (without the tunnel), so I would expect that the optional walls that fit to the awning also fit the new tunnel awning.
Correct, the existing optional wall kits will work with these tunnel style awnings.

gaap master

SE Expedition Society
Sorry if this was covered earlier and I missed it...is this compatible with the prior generation of tents?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rino

Sorry if this was covered earlier and I missed it...is this compatible with the prior generation of tents?

No I failed to mention that it is a retro kit, the channel is attached to the upper shell with a special adhesive and application gun supplied with the kit. It will work on all North American generations of James Baroud tents.

Daggumit. This is like 3 months too late.

The non covered entry is the only reason I didn't go with JB.

Welp, next time I'll for sure get this.

If you guys could design a 270 awning from the other side that ties into this you'd rule the market.

Very cool! I love our Grand Raid but the lack of entrance protection is a con for most hard shells. This addresses that pretty well! maybe keep my foxwing on the DS and have the JB awning on the PS. You know, to balance it out.

Take my money!!

I guess I do have some questions:

Will the "kit" come with channel for both sides of the RTT or will you have to pick one side?

Is there some sort of internal frame that gives the covered entry its shape? How small does it pack away?

Any foreseeable issues with waterproof-ness having it zipped into the side of the RTT?

Pre-orders?

No, seriously- when can I send money?!??