New product from Proud Rhino! The SYA Off Road Extension Kit

Jwestpro

Explorer
I don't know that you can do it with spacers using the LLAMS controller (I currently have mine removed) but I see you have a GAP tool - that could certainly do it. Just go to the 'test valves' section and dump the air right down to the bumpstops. You'd then need to re-enable EAS after leaving the garage and with the spacers it should kick in and go back to normal.

RAAAAAAHHHHHHHH. Just put it all together with the 2" strut spacers .....I'm getting same annoying high centered fault when I lower to access. I am so annoyed.

As part of whole project I installed all 8 new control arms (Meyle HD for front LCA), sway bar bushings and end links, new struts up front (Bilstein 4600), new v6 size EBC brakes.

Alignment tomorrow.

Now, I want to add that I am using stock/factory ride height sensor arms. I didn't wan to change more than one height thing at one time and was hoping I could somehow drop lower without trouble. The odd thing is that I could previously drop it a lot lower than the difference the strut spacers added. Using llams, I could drop 20mm lower from access, then use the "red" button to drop about 20-25mm more. Sometimes that last bit would get me the message but because of the llams, the vehicle wouldn't lift unless I allowed it.

Maybe I need another test where I first use llams to drop below neutral, then try adding access to go lower to actually sit onto the stops.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I don't know that you can do it with spacers using the LLAMS controller (I currently have mine removed) but I see you have a GAP tool - that could certainly do it. Just go to the 'test valves' section and dump the air right down to the bumpstops. You'd then need to re-enable EAS after leaving the garage and with the spacers it should kick in and go back to normal.

RAAAAAAHHHHHHHH. Just put it all together with the 2" strut spacers .....I'm getting same annoying high centered fault when I lower to access. I am so annoyed.

As part of whole project I installed all 8 new control arms (Meyle HD for front LCA), sway bar bushings and end links, new struts up front (Bilstein 4600), new v6 size EBC brakes.

Alignment tomorrow.

Now, I want to add that I am using stock/factory ride height sensor arms. I didn't wan to change more than one height thing at one time and was hoping I could somehow drop lower without trouble. The odd thing is that I could previously drop it a lot lower than the difference the strut spacers added. Using llams, I could drop 20mm lower from access, then use the "red" button to drop about 20-25mm more. Sometimes that last bit would get me the message but because of the llams, the vehicle wouldn't lift unless I allowed it.

Maybe I need another test where I first use llams to drop below neutral, then try adding access to go lower to actually sit onto the stops.

rlynch356

Defyota
What calibration are you running? I am running 245 +\- on the front with the sya kit. Mine does go down to access height... it did not until I raised the ride height and replaced the reservoir valve.. it’s is an 07 lr3

rlynch356

Defyota
Also a note.. when I did my calibration with the iid tool, I added in the height of the rods to the stock measurement (+64mm) and set everything from there..

rlynch356

Defyota
Just for grins and giggles... SYA +2” full kit, lucky8 lift rods.

Off road mode
526a7053bf2b462f99f31923d22cfc43.jpg

Standard mode
ab611e9669756f8516c797cf3a3fbea7.jpg

Access mode
e093cc1df400d65b1951e54a46ccf733.jpg

Dash in access
e0f7360f73e31ee0effc5756443764f0.jpg

Kit detail in off road mode
0ad4c24270ec6e32aa48e82ef0f407ab.jpg

fe3e1a073e91fdcf12a8582d14a6d564.jpg

mass

Observer
Since there has been some question about the installation instructions (not included) I thought I’d write a quick how-to in case anybody was worried. It really is pretty self-explanatory for the most part.

The kit has 4 spacers, 2 larger in diameter than the others. You can’t install them wrong as they only fit one way – the larger ones go on the back while the smaller on the front. You’ll see a hole that aligns with the air fitting so you know you’ve clocked them correctly, otherwise they simply wouldn’t go on at all.

I’ll skip all the safety speech here about proper lifting of your vehicle and assume you know what you’re doing if you’ve decided to take this on. Not responsible for your death or dismemberment if you do something stupid, yada yada yada.

I chose to actually fully remove the struts when doing the job but you don’t have to pull the rears completely.

Before removing the struts you’ll want to bleed the air off in the system. I did it using a GAP IId tool. Any of the diagnostic computers should be able to do it, or If you don’t have one you can start by having the truck in access height to vent as much air as possible, then you’ll have to be careful when removing the air lines (see below)

For each corner the process is the same. Remove the strut by undoing the 3 15mm nuts at the top.

(a moment’s pause here to suggest you get yourself a ratcheting 15mm box end wrench – trust me, you’ll be glad you have it as although you can do the job with a standard wrench it’s much easier with a ratcheting wrench)

Don’t bother undoing the air line; instead use a sharp razor knife to cut the plastic just above the ‘bubble’ in the line, which is just above the brass fitting. Make a clean, straight cut. If you didn’t use a computer tool to relieve the air pressure, be very careful here and go slowly, only cutting enough to let the pressure bleed off. Once the air is out, you can complete the cut. If you get carried away and cut the line fully while it’s under pressure you likely won’t damage anything but at the least you’ll be in for a shock when it blows off. There’s a lot of pressure in the system, so again be careful here.

Use a jack to support the bottom of the strut then remove the large single bolt that secures it to the lower control arm and lower the jack to lower the strut then remove it.

With the strut freed, use a 12mm wrench to remove the brass air fitting. You’ll be re-using this in a moment. Gently pull the compression ring off the plastic airline then remove the hex portion. Re-install these on the supplied black airline as they were on the original, and screw this back into the strut. Remember-this is brass so don’t get carried away on the torque. On the other end of the supplied black airline you’ll find a quick-connect coupler. To remove these you push the collar in while pulling the line out. To install, simply push the line in until it seats home. I actually found the supplied lines a bit longer than needed and trimmed each between ½ and 1” depending on which corner I was working on.

Now install the spacer to the top of the strut. Feed the short black airline up through the provided hole in the spacer and use the original 3 15mm nuts to secure it. On the rear, you’ll need to place the strut back loosely in place prior to bolting on the spacer. On the front you can do it outside the vehicle then put the strut back in place.

With the spacer installed, re-install the strut. Use the jack to lift the bottom of the strut while you guide it home at the top, being careful to fit the black plastic air line up through the original hole and not pinch it against the mount. Start the supplied 15mm nuts to hold the strut in place but don’t tighten yet. Now push the end bare end of the stock air line into the supplied quick connect until it seats home. In the future, should you have to remove a strut this will be easier to undo than the taking apart the stock brass fitting.

(A word about the supplied nuts – they have small crimps in the threads to act as locks, this makes them difficult to tighten. A squirt of WD40 or similar on the stud threads prior to installing the nuts will make things a bit easier)

On the front strut, fit the shorter of the supplied limit straps to the rear-most mounting stud on the spacer (this is why you didn’t tighten the mounting nuts in the previous step). On the rear strut, fit the longer limit strap to the forward-most stud. Now you can tighten all three nuts and fit the large lower bolt. You may need to use a pry bar along with your jack to persuade the lower end of the strut to line up.

On the front strut, fit the loose end of the limit strap to the sway bar end link on the upper control arm using the stock nut to capture the bracket. On the rear, attach the limit strap to the upper bolt on the sway bar end link at the sway bar itself. (this is a bit of a pita, but you’re pretty much done at this point)

Double check that everything is secured and the limit straps aren’t binding on anything and put the wheels back on – you’re good to go!

With my tuck sitting on the bump stops I measured 17.75” from wheel center to the bottom of the wheel arch at the rear and 18.75” at the front. I didn’t bother measuring from the ground to the wheel arch or over-all height as that will vary based on the tires you are running, but you can use that number to calculate your own truck’s new minimum height. There is plenty of clearance in the wheel wells now for my current 275-65-18 Duratracs when on the stops. As soon as they arrive at my local store, I’ll be fitting 275-70-18 Cooper STT Pros which are listed at 33.31” diameter. Though I may need to do some extra trimming here and there, the extensions should still keep the tires out of the wheel wells in a failure.

Did this install in early June, finally getting around to putting the pictures/videos together to help add clarity to this process.

If you want to run big tires, this kit is an absolute must, it has already legitimately "Saved My ***" in the past sixth months... do yourself a favor and get this piece of gear.

For those who may be curious I'm running Green Oval Experience rods, Grabber X3's in 275/75, and have the full set-up (Front, sides, & rear) from Tactical Rovers... the fit is solid, only rub was on the inner wheel well, requiring a manual re-route of the passenger-side A/C piping (why it is in the rear wheel well, I'm not sure... LR??).

Cheers. :coffee:

GORM

Adventurer
Read thread, maybe still confused

So I have never been able to read thru the whole thread in one sitting until today. My takeaways are:

(1) that the stock SYA kit can possibly leave you with issues with not being able to get in access height
(2) only folks that would buy kit without straps are people NOT taking rigs off-road for the CV issue
(3) larger tire sizes (33+) will hit before bump stops

My vehicle goes off road so kit w/ straps is only choice.

My big question is ... at what tire size does the whole issue come into play? I’m running 265/65-18 KO2’s which are 31.5”. Do I even need these? What conditions will the SYA help me with? Am I correct in thinking that while the truck will not hit my tires before bump stops that it WILL allow me to drive at full speed?

Thanks all

Kent

mass

Observer
So I have never been able to read thru the whole thread in one sitting until today. My takeaways are:

(1) that the stock SYA kit can possibly leave you with issues with not being able to get in access height
(2) only folks that would buy kit without straps are people NOT taking rigs off-road for the CV issue
(3) larger tire sizes (33+) will hit before bump stops

My vehicle goes off road so kit w/ straps is only choice.

My big question is ... at what tire size does the whole issue come into play? I'm running 265/65-18 KO2's which are 31.5”. Do I even need these? What conditions will the SYA help me with? Am I correct in thinking that while the truck will not hit my tires before bump stops that it WILL allow me to drive at full speed?

Thanks all

Kent

I went straight to 33.2" so I'm not certain, but IMHO that's in the ballpark enough to warrant it.

I see you have an IID Tool... if you go completely deflate your EAS in your driveway, you will get an idea of how/why/if you may want bumps...

(and hopefully by full speed, you mean enough to limp out... it's a bumpy ride, indeed!)

Jwestpro

Explorer
What calibration are you running? I am running 245 +\- on the front with the sya kit. Mine does go down to access height... it did not until I raised the ride height and replaced the reservoir valve.. it's is an 07 lr3

Who are you responding to? I only tried with no change in calibration but I am not and will not be using the shorter rods as there is no benefit to having the rods when I can simply raise to the limits anyway using the Llams electronic controller.

Also the connectors splicing the air line is WAY less than an idea solution. It's a crap solution IMO. There should just be a new line run with that extra length. Accessing the lines from the valve blocks isn't really that hard to do if you've removed all the junk needed to drop the struts anyway.

rlynch356

Defyota
I was responding to you... Jwestpro...
and i think you answered your own questions..

My trial and error tests showed that if i add in the height of the lift to the calibration i can access all three modes and have a stockish ride (i.e. i am not running the bags at too low or too High a psi).. with no lift rods and no calibration changes i can see why you are getting the high center fault. I don't see that changing.

From what i can tell, the controller freaks out because it needs to drop to a -40mm setting in a certain amount of time, this distance is determined via the height sensors and the solenoid valve.. and remember there are not just the 3 height settings for the truck, it actually has 6 or 7 (depending on model)..

Current (ie. factory hard coded), Access, normal, off-road, extended, Highway, and Bump Stop/service mode. the IID tool can only adjust "Normal" - access, normal, and extended are calculated, service mode is set from what i can tell.

I have no idea what your tool can access.

I have not had any issues with the high pressure air line connectors used to extend the corner lines. If you use ones that are not rated for 200psi they will leak, yes.

There are pluses and minuses to all of these aftermarket solutions and also pluses and minuses to just raising it with software.

All i can say is that my truck's setup can use all "normal" height modes with the Full L8 SYA kit.

YMMV

Tomsquad419

So I have been readings tons of conflicting information recently. I have a 2012 Land Rover LR4 and would like to run 285/65/18 or 275/70/18 BFG AT KOs. What is the best and safest way to lift the vehicle? My driving is definitely in the city but I need to feel comfortable driving on the highway. I don't want excess sway or feeling of topheaviness. I also drive in decks so would like to access access mode. Sorry but I'm new to this and the Land Rover!

Johnson Rods
Lucky 8 / proud rhino spacer and Rods
LLAMS
IID bluetooth

GORM

Adventurer
You're putting on tires 4” greater in diameter than stock plus 2” lift rods on a 6000 lb vehicle, you might have to live with some sway. I had rods and 265/65 (31.5”) tires and I definitely felt it on the highway at high speeds. I eventually tossed my rods and ride at normal height but have the GAP tool so I can get the 4” lift when I need it and feel more comfortable when others (like 18 year old son) drive it on the highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior