New product debut by Four Wheel Campers

ttengineer

Adventurer
I agree. The extra head room and vertical opening is much nicer than the hinged opening style of the GFC.

I just don’t know if the juice is worth the squeeze though. 9k is a lot of money for a hot box.

I think think something like a EZ Topper kit on an ARE shell would be way more affordable, lower profile, and draw less attention. But it obviously be at the sacrifice of sq ft.

I have yet to see a perfect setup.

But the Fifty Ten Camper is coming in super close to what I think a perfect setup would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clydeone

I would be careful on then “extra headroom” in the FWC - I stopped by their showroom in Woodland on Saturday and I got to see the prototype on the Tacoma. I am 6’ 6” tall and commented on how much headroom there was in the prototype and the person I talked to indicated that the production models would not have as much. Just food for thought - I was able to easily stand up in the prototype and the fleet model I looked at was definitely 6’4” clearance.

I am of two minds for this new FWC:
i) It looks like these Project M's are very truck specific; ie only for a Tacoma, not a Ranger, not a Canyon . But also lighter weight. But smaller interior.

ii) At least if you buy a regular Shell model you can hopefully mount the Shell on different trucks.

For the extra $2500 or so, buying a shell might be more future proof? In the long run, a shell will have better resale value and not just because it costs more initially.

Anyone else think this way?

czukie

I am of two minds for this new FWC:
i) It looks like these Project M's are very truck specific; ie only for a Tacoma, not a Ranger, not a Canyon . But also lighter weight. But smaller interior.

ii) At least if you buy a regular Shell model you can hopefully mount the Shell on different trucks.

For the extra $2500 or so, buying a shell might be more future proof? In the long run, a shell will have better resale value and not just because it costs more initially.

Anyone else think this way?

Personally, I don't think there is any way they have a better resale value than their other models. Many of us really want a door and full enclosure...Not too mention, as you said, they are truck specific...For example, you can put a FWC Eagle on any mid-size truck plus 1st gen Tundras whereas the Project M will likely only fit one model due to the tailgate closure system.

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
Says in the vid smooth and hopefully lighter normal siding is available. Although that may already be "fake" diamond plate that is lighter.

I would pony up the premium over Vagabond and GFC just to not give a free loan and wait 1.5 years.

You do realize you only put a $500 deposit down for a GFC right?

PeteEinMT

Observer
I'm all in What I have been waiting for. Talked to Denny today DO you have pics of the side access doors (I assume windoors) Thinking large access door on driver side and 80/20 kit on passenger side

Pete

roving1

You do realize you only put a $500 deposit down for a GFC right?

Yes I do, I commend them for that. But the 1.5 year wait is still ridiculous, especially since they are pushing their product all over social media and sending pushes out like "What color would you buy?" ETC when no one is even capable of choosing a color and buying in the same calendar year. So they are only 1/2 as bad as Vagabond.

zuren

Adventurer
I figured it wouldn't take long for FWC to get into this model line. I will soon be in the market for a truck...if only my garage opening were taller! :(

czukie

Both the FWC and the Vagabond have features I like,not waiting for a year, or more,and it looks like the FWC bed might have more headroom.
Vagabond's wait is 11 months...

It also depends on what you mean by headroom. FWC Project M is 6'5" all the way around whereas Vagabond has 8' (I believe) at it's peak (based on mid-size models). So depending on how you sleep, the Vagabond's camper may actually allow for more headroom (but far less "foot" room obviously).

Now the real advantage, in my eyes, is square feet.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I would be careful on then “extra headroom” in the FWC - I stopped by their showroom in Woodland on Saturday and I got to see the prototype on the Tacoma. I am 6’ 6” tall and commented on how much headroom there was in the prototype and the person I talked to indicated that the production models would not have as much. Just food for thought - I was able to easily stand up in the prototype and the fleet model I looked at was definitely 6’4” clearance.

I'm surprised that being 6'6" you can even squeeze into the Tacoma. I'm a couple of inches shorter and had trouble getting in without bonking my head. My Northstar has 6'7" interior headroom and it feels tight on the upstep.

czukie

I'm surprised that being 6'6" you can even squeeze into the Tacoma. I'm a couple of inches shorter and had trouble getting in without bonking my head. My Northstar has 6'7" interior headroom and it feels tight on the upstep.

Tacoma will be 58" plus the bed depth (3rd gens will allow the deepest depth) so roughly 6'5" for the tacoma model of Project M. I am fairly certain newer FWC like the fleet have 6'6" interior height.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles