New pop-up truck camper owner

CanadianVikingYYC

Hello!

New member here at Expedition Portal! Not new to camping (having done everything from tenting to class A to travel trailer to toy hauler back to tenting and then most recently an Aliner A-Frame trailer. We were very happy with our highly modified Aliner and had no ideas of changing when a opportunity came along for a 2003 Hallmark Guanella LX w/2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD duramax. Both are in new condition having had very little usage and been garage stored when not in use. The truck is a regular cab long box 2WD - not ideal as I would have preferred 4WD, but again it’s in amazing condition with new E rated tires, air compressor/bags and only 90,000km (55,000 mi) on the odometer. So, sold the Aliner and now looking forward to joining the pop-up truck camper world. I will be asking plenty of questions in the appropriate forums as there are many upgrades I would like to make to both the truck and Guanella LX. For the truck I’m looking at things like an e-locker, Warn “hidden” front winch, and Wilco Offroad hitchgate. For the Guanella I’m planning a trip to the Hallmark factory to have some accessories added including a rear ladder, roof rack, maxtrax, and shovel/axe kit. I look forward to talking to you all and getting feedback from others who have done similar things.

Cheers,
Thomas

Last edited:

CanadianVikingYYC

The 2003 Guanella LX has the original (for the year) rubber roof that has been regularly maintained and has a factory installed solar.

I’m looking at doing some upgrades. I spoke with Bill at Hallmark and he indicated that everything I want to do can be done at the factory. So I’m thinking of heading there in September to have this work done, but before doing so I thought I would solicit feedback from other Hallmark owners of similar vintage (pre 2008) units.

This is a list of items I am thinking about, and comments or feedback is appreciated.

Done at Hallmark Factory:
- add rear ladder
- add roof rack (Bill said this would be done with used racks canibalized from rubber roofs that are being replaced at the factory)
- add shovel/axe kit
- add maxtrax (sand ladders)
- add rear awning

The ladder and roof rack is done in hopes of adding a Thule or Yakima (or other brand) of roof cargo box. Bill is not sure the box will be possible, might need to settle for a basket

Items I will do:
- recertify horizontal propane tank
- upgrade all lighting to LED
- replace original CD player/ stereo with something Bluetooth enabled
- replace dual 6V batteries (if needed, they still seem strong)

I’m sure there will be other things that come up but just looking for feedback/insight into any of the above items (and of course anything else I should be doing).

Thanks!

Thomas

coastal

The 2003 Guanella LX has the original (for the year) rubber roof that has been regularly maintained and has a factory installed solar.

I’m looking at doing some upgrades. I spoke with Bill at Hallmark and he indicated that everything I want to do can be done at the factory. So I’m thinking of heading there in September to have this work done, but before doing so I thought I would solicit feedback from other Hallmark owners of similar vintage (pre 2008) units.

This is a list of items I am thinking about, and comments or feedback is appreciated.

Done at Hallmark Factory:
- add rear ladder
- add roof rack (Bill said this would be done with used racks canibalized from rubber roofs that are being replaced at the factory)
- add shovel/axe kit
- add maxtrax (sand ladders)
- add rear awning

The ladder and roof rack is done in hopes of adding a Thule or Yakima (or other brand) of roof cargo box. Bill is not sure the box will be possible, might need to settle for a basket

Items I will do:
- recertify horizontal propane tank
- upgrade all lighting to LED
- replace original CD player/ stereo with something Bluetooth enabled
- replace dual 6V batteries (if needed, they still seem strong)

I’m sure there will be other things that come up but just looking for feedback/insight into any of the above items (and of course anything else I should be doing).

Thanks!

Thomas
Good luck with your new Hallmark. I just purchased a new used one as well and am looking to do similar, keep in touch in progress

Congrats on the camper. No help on the older Hallmark, but do love our 2015. Bill and Matt are great, just don't expect them to respond to email, which frustrates a lot of people.

We got the rear awning (Fiama F35), and to date rarely use it. For us it's just such a pain to deploy it's not usually worth the hassle so just be aware. What roof lift do you have on it?

CanadianVikingYYC

Coastal - congrats of your purchase and I look forward to hearing about your Hallmark upgrade/refresh.

Hopeless Diamond - thanks for the feedback, this is exactly the type of ‘real world” intelligence that I’m hoping for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz