New PLB Option Coming: SATRO PLB-110

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Just learned about a new personal locator beacon coming from Astronics called the SATRO PLB-110. It will be compatible with the Cospas-Sarsat system similar to other PLB devices. The device has an integrated GPS, floats, and is billed as the smallest PLB on the market. While there are no advanced messaging capabilities such as those provided by SPOT or the DeLorme products, there are no recurring service fees either.

Although Astronics is new to this segment, they have a long history in the avionics market. They are projecting the product will be available in Spring 2012, which sounds like about now.

big_satro_3-4.jpg

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
The article I read on Equipped indicated the MSRP would be $299.

In general, the PLB devices that don't require recurring subscription fees are more expensive up front than those that use recurring fees to subsidize the cost of the device.

762X39

Explorer
I am a fan of the concept of PLB's. Hopefully this one is constructed to the standards that I expect for this type of device.The "Spot" type devices don't seem as well constructed as I would like for my life to be dependent upon. I am also concerned that some devices don't meet the cold temperature specs (for the battery) that are important to me (I regularly endure -35C while working and it often can be colder than that). If I push the button, I absolutely positively want it to work and hope to see the yellow SAR chopper in the airspace above me and maybe a Hercules doing a flyover to let me know the cavalry is coming.:coffee:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Their data sheet claims -20*C to +55*C operating temp, and -30*C to +70*C storage temp. Not quite the -35*C temp you are looking for, but probably reasonable for most situations.

burnoil

Adventurer
I actually have an ACR ResQlink, but just wanted to know the cost for this new unit. I paid about $250 for my PLB. I think they are great insurance for being in remote spots. Of course, not an excuse to be lax in other areas or preparedness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles