new pelican case med case

pwc

Explorer
I thought it was spendy until I realize what I spent on mine. :)
I ended up getting one of these kits (except it is outdoor Research brand) and put it in a bright orange Pelican 1400. Nice and compact and fits perfectly with a litte room around the edge for odds and ends. Just another option

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The Adventure Medical Expedition Kit is one of the best I've found for the First Responder.

Add a Nasal/Oral airway kit, another Dental Kit, and a Sutures/Syringes as well as another SAM splint and you're golden at the EMT-B level.

-H-

jrizman

i have one that i bought (OR) then built on, it adds up quick, but the second you need it, its well worth it! you have to know how to use that stuff in there too! i find that me not being an EMT, i dont want a kit with some of that stuff cause of liability reasons and my inability to actually use it. however, i have my kit stocked with just about anything I may need including glucose and other such stuff that i have discovered can be necessary.

guess i should reup on my first responder certification so i can legally help others again.

jsmoriss

Explorer
Sorry to revive and old thread, but I have the 1550EMS, and I find it a little big and heavy. I'm looking for alternatives...

20080817-062158-lx2-30587.jpg

20080817-062219-lx2-30588.jpg

I'm thinking maybe the Adventure Medical Kits: Professional Expedition, Mountain Comprehensive, Marine 2000 or 1000...

js.

Saline

Adventurer
We found a tackle box that is shaped more like a smaller Pelican case. It is has a clear upper lid and dividers and the bottom compartment is one large storage area. It's big enough for all of our meds,etc. Also big enough that we have have a 1000cc IV bag and IV setup in it. Not as sturdy as a Pelican but vastly cheaper and serves the same function.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
jsmoriss said:
Sorry to revive and old thread, but I have the 1550EMS, and I find it a little big and heavy. I'm looking for alternatives...

20080817-062158-lx2-30587.jpg

20080817-062219-lx2-30588.jpg

I'm thinking maybe the Adventure Medical Kits: Professional Expedition, Mountain Comprehensive, Marine 2000 or 1000...

js.

Will you sell the Pelican Kit?

If so, I'm interested.

Thanks,
Dendy

astn

Observer
jrizman said:
... guess i should reup on my first responder certification so i can legally help others again.

Just because your certification has expired doesn't stop you from assisting anyone legally speaking. It would stop you from providing services in a professional role (like you couldn't work on an ambulance and theoretically shouldn't provide medical assistance while working with a club or organization, etc, but if you are "it" in the wilderness and you have training and equipment to help someone, you shouldn't NOT help them because your card is expired. Focusing strictly on the legal issue, most states have good samaritan acts that are designed to protect people from liability if they are trying to help someone (without professional or personal motive) and as long as you do what a reasonable person with similar level of knowledge and training you should not have an issue.

I'm a paramedic and I frequently have a selection of ALS equipment in my vehicle, and while I may not be certified in various states I may be in, if I were in the parking lot of a park somewhere and someone stumbles out with heat stroke, I wouldn't think "I'm not certified in this state," I would just do what needs to be done. That said, I don't bust out the kit at every accident I pass--most of the time that extra minute or so won't do a thing. It's just a matter of what a "reasonable person" would do.

Everything depends on your local laws, etc, so this isn't specific legal advice, I'm just trying to say that you shouldn't worry about your certification level unless you know your state has stupid laws about these things.

Austin

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Hold On now...

A dear friend of mine is not only a paramedic, but a darn fine one. She helped me put together a kit that is in line with the 1550 (although I might pick one up as a backup too) and she showed me how to use the contents of her kit. If something is life or death - I would rather have the option to assist than to try / have nothing. Trial attorneys are not going to run my life, or have me watch someone I could otherwise help, dang it!

BUT there is another flip side to this over the top kit - if YOU are in a major need of serious help - you have all the gear right there that a first responder (civilian or pro) can use on YOU. My first aid kit is a large, bright orange tackle box clearly marked as first aid - if I am out cold - it stands out, and ready, to help me.

Chance favors the prepared mind!!!

pint

Adventurer
I think I'm gonna go with the Pelican 1500 or 1550 and build from there. I like the bulletproof construction. It's heavy, but to me it's worth it in the truck or camper.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Looks great to me, I've been looking for a replacement for my aging Ammo-Can med kit and I think I'll just go all out and get one of these. I carry such a comprehensive field medic kit that something this big would be really nice.

Cheers

Dave

Edit: Oh and most states, and it may be a national thing but I can't remember, have what's called "good samaritan" laws to protect those who attempt to give first aid regardless of training level. Basicly, DO NOT JUST SIT THERE if there's something, ANYthing you can do to help, DO IT. Does this mean you should try to Cryc/Traech someone in the field with no training? No, but within reason, check a pulse and check for breath sounds. If a limb is screwed up try to stabilize it or "splint it as it lies". Honestly, the Human body as a mechine is fairly simple in terms of what will and wont kill you. If they're no breathing does it do any good to worry asbout infection or a broken arm? No it's all about the ABC's folks Airway, Breathing, Circulation ... Not breathing will kill you long before pain will ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior