New older vehicle for the lady. Suv hunt

Found out I'm gonna be a father come december. Want to start looking for the girl a cheaper suv but still something I can drive. Ive seen several 04 ish volvo xc90s and volkswagen toureg s in my price range. Im a fairly good mechanic and i prefer not having a large car payment so im sure i can maintain them well past what they have on them already. Question is what to get and why. Any thoughts. Needs to be 4x4 or AWD at minimum. Am I missing any 5 grand ish Suvs that are good soft roaders that she would like.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
My $0.02

What about a Grand Cherokee? Cherokees will be cheaper and they're capable, but they're not huge on interior space.

Stay away from Xterra's. Great vehicles, but the back doors are such that it's difficult to get a car seat in and out, especially when the kid is in a carrier.

If you're looking for something a little less capable, consider the Ford Escape, or Honda CRV. Small, capable of getting into and out of tight spaces, relatively decent mileage, both available in AWD.

Or you can go the Subaru route. But that'll likely push your price limits.

My $0.02

What about a Grand Cherokee? Cherokees will be cheaper and they're capable, but they're not huge on interior space.

Stay away from Xterra's. Great vehicles, but the back doors are such that it's difficult to get a car seat in and out, especially when the kid is in a carrier.

If you're looking for something a little less capable, consider the Ford Escape, or Honda CRV. Small, capable of getting into and out of tight spaces, relatively decent mileage, both available in AWD.

Or you can go the Subaru route. But that'll likely push your price limits.

A grand is on the list but the problem is the WJ is plagued with problems and the gas mileage is TERRIBLE i had one that i sold because it would only get 13mpg. They are also expensive in a 4x4 around here.
xterras are out for the reasons you listed.

I had a escape and liked it. ill look see what a decent one goes for. No cars. need to sit up higher.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
The explorer style with the independent rear end seems like a good size for a family and are cheap. Can be had with a v8. Never had one though.

There's the trailblazer too. My mom has owned one since new and ive done all the work on it. Just steering components and wheel bearings I think. They're pretty cheap too and the i6 is a strong engine.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If your price sensitive? Also once your wife is transporting your kid safety is a big factor. #1 cost Avoid Volva er volvo, VW, porsche etc. Avoid the CUTE UTEs crvs etc. Get her a Subaru Legacy. If you want a 4x4 rig get one for your self.

The legacy is cheaper than the OB and damn good in sh-tty weather and bad roads. Also built like a brick ******** house. 2010s are pretty reasonable on price today, huge rear seat space for rear facing kids seat vs 6footer in a front seat.

Maybe look for a GM Acadia the non minivan mini van or a Ford Flex.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
My wife absolutely loves her '05 Rav 4

Full time AWD, no silly electrical gadgetry.

It simply just sticks the road, regardless of conditions.

Not the best on gas, averages 22-25MPG

clint.

i'd probably avoid the european makes. repairs are brutal. even if you do your own work. you're about to be a father and you won't want to spend your spare time (what little there will be) trying to keep the vehicle going. 3rd gen montero would be solid if you can find one. i see them pop up on craigslist every so often in decent shape.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
4k wont get you a decent Japanese make in decent shape thats not 20yrs old.

Go domestic and unless you live in snow country stick her in a mid sized 2wd car. I say this because your budget is really tight and you have a kid arriving. I have two.. If your budget is 4k before a Kid you wont have a budget for costly tires, added 4x4 maint costs or crappy Euro brand vehicles with known costly service history.

A solid mid size 4dr sedan will save you money. Shoot my neighbors Camry he bought used for 5k at 100,000 miles is his sales rep daily driver. It has 385,000 miles on it today. All he does is change the oil and put tires on it.

I can afford much more than 4k. I choose not to. My off road rig is a 2012 wrangler rubicon. 4k for the rig takes into account that ill be doing alot of maintenance to bring it up to spec.
I know my way around the garage well enough that ive built this rig.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/131465-Oscar-the-Grouchs-build-thread-the-2012-JKR
and this WJ
e75dd97d1d512a338efef49cf1eb5b58.jpg

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/135938-Oscars-WJ-overland-build
Which i originally bought for 4 grand and put the long arm on it. someone wanted it more than i did and paid me much more than i had into it so its gone. (shoulda kept it) sei la vi

Actually im pretty sure i can redo this but no lift and tires.

WJ it is. time to start hunting another perfect specimen. this time skipping the 4.7 ill get her a straight 6 with the selectable 4x4. wish they made more of those in the limited trim. might have to junk yard some leather seats out of wreck.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
First kid. My advice ask your wife what she wants to lift a kid and stroller into during her daily trek about town.

I say this because what us guys think would be cool, is almost always the opposite of reality for the mom carting a kid around.

I have two kids and there are 36 kids under 12 on my block. The vehicle evolution from cool to what works has been obvious and a big topic among the dads.
I'll say this.. Not a single mom is driving a jeep product. For many reasons all of which you need to make sure your wife isnt going to be beating you up over later.

First kid adds enough stress to the adult relationships, trust me. Ask your wife about it!. Grab the snap and go seat put 10lbs in it and have her load it and unload it from your jeep. Might be tough if shes expecting but it will be an eye opener.

Met one neighbor for lunch today. His wife was punted into the landscaped center divider a block away yesterday by a drunk grandma in a caddie. Both kids are fine, the Q5 is dinged up, but stayed right side up after going over a curb at 35mph. Funny enough the same spot a friends kid dumped their new Rubicon on its lid last yr after kissing the curb.

Safety, handling, and ease of kid loading and unloading will be your top requirments shortly after the kid shows up. Mark.my words... Mini Vans didnt become big for being cool. ;-)

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
First kid. My advice ask your wife what she wants ...

Sage advise.

My wife went from an Escape to a Honda Odyssey because of ease of access, interior room and what not. Surely your better half will have some sound input as to her wants and desires, my guess is it doesn't include a solid front axle.

When Momma's happy, everyone's happy.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just for the record I'm a home office dad 99% of the time. My wife is the rat race CEO, CFO direct report. I typically do the daily hauling mornings and end of day. I have three vehicles parked here. 2 seater, Subaru OB and a Sequoia. The Sequoia I need to make an effort to use or it would sit for weeks unused.

Having said that we are transitioning to summer kids activities mode. We have three families sharing a college kid shuttling kids around for us in the Sequoia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior