New OBA

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Since our last outing to the Outer Banks in October saw the demise of my little MV-50, I decided it was time to get a little more serious. Since I'm a cheapskate, I've spent the last few months on Ebay, and CL picking up parts. Now I've got them together, they just need a little more "togetherness" and I'll be airing up tires fast again. The TruckAir that I carry for backup works but it is slooow!
I've wound up with:
A Viair 380c, newish from someone elses uncompleted lowered air bag project. 100% duty cycle and a nice blingy chrome!
A Viair 2.5 gallon tank, used
A Viair pressure regulator with built in relay, new
A nifty aluminum manifold from Sierra Expeditions
A a neat little (ex foglight) switch that will fill in the blank in my dash nicely
A blue sea fuse block, so I can stop wiring power leads directly to the battery!



 
Last edited:

Fifthpro

Adventurer
jim65wagon said:
Since our last outing to the Outer Banks in October saw the demise of my little MV-50, I decided it was time to get a little more serious. Since I'm a cheapskate, I've spent the last few months on Ebay, and CL picking up parts. Now I've got them together, they just need a little more "togetherness" and I'll be airing up tires fast again. The TruckAir that I carry for backup works but it is slooow!
I've wound up with:
A Viair 380c, newish from someone elses uncompleted lowered air bag project. 100% duty cycle and a nice blingy chrome!
A Viair 2.5 gallon tank, used
A Viair pressure regulator with built in relay, new
A nifty aluminum manifold from Sierra Expeditions
A a neat little (ex foglight) switch that will fill in the blank in my dash nicely
A blue sea fuse block, so I can stop wiring power leads directly to the battery!
Did you do the install yet?
 

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Ha! All I've managed to accomplish is getting the fittings leakproof, test pressurized everything with the garage compressor; and installed the Bluesea fuse block under the hood. tsk, tsk, lazy man...
:coffee:
 

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Well, here's a little update. I know everyone is just itching to see.

1. Blue Sea fuse block.



2. Manifold from Sierra Expeditions, Viair 150psi pressure switch/relay combo.
 
Last edited:

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
And two views of the compressor mounted next to the manifold. The compressor is mounted to a wooden block which in turn is mounted to the inner fender. Rubber stoppers are between the fender and block, and between the block and compressor. Hopefully that will keep vibration to a minimum.




 
Last edited:

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
RoundOut said:
I used the same switch to drive my KC off-road lights. Works great.
Yes and it was easy to wire too! Now all I need is a little graphic of an air compressor to stick on it so everyone knows what that switch is for...

The rubber stoppers worked great to isolate the vibration of the compressor. It's a lot quieter than the MV-50. Still need to mount the tank. Hopefully that will happen Monday.
 

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
OK, here's how well it worked...

It's quiet, much more so than the MV-50. The rubber isolators make for a fairly vibration free affair.
It runs up to 150psi and shuts right off. The tank holds air for 24 hours. I do have a leak at one of the hose connections but that's an easy fix.

I was going to mount the tank behind the rear wheelwell, but it fits much better in the C-channel under the passenger door.

Now I just need to see how long it takes to pressurize the tank, and to air up all four tires...

the switch in the dash



can you see the tank?



here it is!


I still have to run the air hose to an accessible location, but I have a nice idea for that....
 
Last edited:

HongerVenture

Adventurer
All looks great Jim!

Hey, can I recommend the Bajataco solution for your exposed quick-disconnect couplers?

"The QD is covered with a rubber cap that I found at the hardware store (used for the bottom of canes and maybe furniture)."
Stolen from Bajataco's OBA write up here.

I hope Chris doesn't mind me taking the liberty of direct-linking to his photo.
 

jagular7

Adventurer
I have done basically the same thing. I run a Viair 450C to a 'T' that goes to the front quick disconnect and to the tank opposite the muffler on my TJ. I also run a rear quick disconnect.






Those rubber pieces are for the bases of chairs at HomeDepot. Mine are 1" diameter. I also suggest that you lube the balls of the quick disconnect as they are not designed really for continuous exterior use, unless you have those special quick disconnect. I use 1/4 plastic air line that is readily available. I also use quick disconnects on the plastic lines. My reason is I don't use the OBA consistently or in short periods, so holding pressure is not necessary. I do use it to air up my tires, but that use is short period of time, so any leaks is minimal.
 

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Thanks for the tip on the covers, guys! Definitely on the "get it" list.

J7, definitely will have to keep the joints oiled up, thanks...

I'm running the standard old blue air hose as I had a 50 foot length in the garage that wasn't being used for anything, and I already have 100 feet that I don't use all of anyway, so the 50 footer became useful...

The rear license plate is now a "flip up" plate. There'sa nice space between the plate and the spare tire. The rear QD will be behind the plate, easily accessible, hidden from view, just the way I like to do things.
 

pray4surf

Explorer
jagular7 said:

Those rubber pieces are for the bases of chairs at HomeDepot. Mine are 1" diameter.
Ditto on those chair leg rubber tips..



FYI - Home Depot refers to these as 'Rubber Leg Tips' come in both black and white, 4 to a package, SKU #287687 (1" black) and sell for approx $2..

Rick
 
Top