New Northstar TC650 and 2013 Toyota Tundra

codename607

Adventurer
A flatbed model FWC on a Tundra has been on my mind for a while now too. My only concern is MPG and overall rig size. I can get around 300 miles to the tank with my current set up. And then there is the size aspect of having a full size truck and living/traveling on the East Cost.

Since you have a lot of experience with a Tundra do you have any concerns with those aspects?

Tatted

Adventurer
A flatbed model FWC on a Tundra has been on my mind for a while now too. My only concern is MPG and overall rig size. I can get around 300 miles to the tank with my current set up. And then there is the size aspect of having a full size truck and living/traveling on the East Cost.

Since you have a lot of experience with a Tundra do you have any concerns with those aspects?
I have no worries at all. We went everywhere in our Tundra. Yeah fuel mileage sucks. I averaged 11 with wind and 12-13 without however you have to adjust your speed. If you want to go fast you have to pay for that. My new Tundra has the 38 gallon tank. That’s why I bought it. It sucked atopping all the time in my 13.

Trikebubble

Adventurer

Bound For Nowhere just had a Tundra DC with a flatbed Hawk built for them. It looks very, very nice. I have the slide-in Hawk on my Tundr and love my combination, though I can certainly see the interest in the extra living room the flatbed provides. On our trip to Tuk last July (8500+km) we averaged around 12mpg. Size has proven not to be an issue so far for us, I've stuffed into places we have no place going and adie from some good pinstriping she comes out unscathed. I only have the little 26 gallon tank, which sucks big time, and have had an eye on the wreckers for a 38 gallon tank for awhile now. On our trip to Tuk I took 3 extra fuel cans for a total of 14 extra gallons of fuel.....and never needed any of it (Though that could change very quickly with a road closure and detour in the middle of nowhere)

Tatted

Adventurer
Bound For Nowhere just had a Tundra DC with a flatbed Hawk built for them. It looks very, very nice. I have the slide-in Hawk on my Tundr and love my combination, though I can certainly see the interest in the extra living room the flatbed provides. On our trip to Tuk last July (8500+km) we averaged around 12mpg. Size has proven not to be an issue so far for us, I've stuffed into places we have no place going and adie from some good pinstriping she comes out unscathed. I only have the little 26 gallon tank, which sucks big time, and have had an eye on the wreckers for a 38 gallon tank for awhile now. On our trip to Tuk I took 3 extra fuel cans for a total of 14 extra gallons of fuel.....and never needed any of it (Though that could change very quickly with a road closure and detour in the middle of nowhere)
Your rig makes me not want to to a flatbed. It is perfect. What’s your specs on lift and tires if I might ask. Your trip looks amazing

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Your rig makes me not want to to a flatbed. It is perfect. What’s your specs on lift and tires if I might ask. Your trip looks amazing
Thanks. The trip was fantastic for sure. I'm running an MCM Fabrication mid-travel setup with ADS Racing shocks, and MCM Fab uca's. I have Dakar leaf packs in the bag with airbags. Running 295 tires in 18" rims (should have gone for 35"s,will do next time)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Northstar Makes flatbed campers for their Australian market, made here in the states. ( track Master)

When i was talking to them, they were willing to do that and just switch out the electrical/ for what we need in the states. May be worth asking,

Also, Bundtec- an off shoot from Northstar

which ever route you choose we look forward to seeing it,

Tatted

Adventurer
Well here she is. 2017 Lance 650. Love this camper. We kept our hiker tear drop to utilize behind it

Attachments

• FD16CFFF-471A-4135-B58B-1C02A671D58B.jpeg
    FD16CFFF-471A-4135-B58B-1C02A671D58B.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 70
  • FC6B9788-B262-4F7E-9047-0045D35E979D.jpeg
    FC6B9788-B262-4F7E-9047-0045D35E979D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 73

Tatted

Adventurer
Honestly other than a higher top it doesn’t feel much different than the TC650 at all. Same psi in air bags too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles