New Mitsubishi Montero Owner

Fefrank

Bought this about a week ago:

I've been wanting a Montero for a loooong time. And I finally have it. Needs a few things fixed, like the radio doesn't work or the DVD player. Everything else works flawlessly.

Now, question: would 265/70r17 fit on this things without a lift and no rubbing?

What are some things you've done to your Monteros? Anything I should watch out for other than Timing belt changes every 60k miles?

MoabRefugee

Observer
Congratulations! Get some new sneakers and you will be very surprised at what you can safely run, trailwise, here in Moab. Super capable, even without a lift, though I certainly suggest that. Adventure Driven Design makes some tasty skid plates, you will need a Middle Skid at a minimum IMO. Fantastic vehicle in which to explore Utah's natural splendor.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
You will be very surprise and impressed by the off-road capabilities. I have been running 265/70/17 for a few years and have been happy. It does have some low hanging areas, but those can be addressed easily.

The side steps can be removed easily along with the courtesy lights. Just make sure you put a rubber cover over the light plug and secure it out of the way if you ever want to use them again. Rocky-Road makes some metal rock rails which bolt in place of the steps.

If yours has a trailer hitch, then these hang low and usually drag on trails. I have not damaged anything, but I wanted to make it less of a concern. I installed a 1/4" plate trailer hitch guard from Skidmark 4x4. I have used this plate on the hitch many times when getting down from ledges. It does make an awful noise when it makes contact, but now I know it isn't cutting the trailer wires or filling the 2" hole with dirt all of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94