New member's build finally in the truck.

Mnbogboy

My twin grandsons on a day trip blueberry picking event. After lunch just relaxing.

Put about 500 miles on local trips so far with about 2 mpg mileage reduction. Pulls decent against a headwind, thinking because it is so narrow?

Other than that nothing new.

Attachments

• Twins.jpg
    Twins.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 48

a8ksh4

Thanks for all of the build photos, Mnbogboy! Looks like a really quality rebuild of the old palomino!

Sorry if I missed it in one of your posts, but what kind of siding and roof material did you use, and where did you get it? I'm interested in putting together a hard-sided camper and just figuring out what kinds of material to use for this stuff.

Mnbogboy

Thanks for all of the build photos, Mnbogboy! Looks like a really quality rebuild of the old palomino!

Sorry if I missed it in one of your posts, but what kind of siding and roof material did you use, and where did you get it? I'm interested in putting together a hard-sided camper and just figuring out what kinds of material to use for this stuff.
Siding & roof is .040 aluminum, painted both sides, was stocked at local metal supply dealer for use on dirt track race cars. 4x8 & 5x10 foot sheets. Interior paneling is 1/4" (.236 actual) 3 ply plywood from Lowes.
Insulation 3/4 closed cell from Lowes. Framing 1x2, 1x4s. Assorted glues & adhesives (time will tell if I made the right choices...lol). Vinyl trim from amazon. Salvage aluminum trim from palomino & recent to the new shape.
I learned a lot from builds on this site.
Good luck with your build.
Randy

Mnbogboy

Great deer! Gotta learn how to break em down with the gutless method. They take up a whole lot less room that way.
Thanks, it was a very nice deer for our area up here in northern MN, field dressed weighed 176#.
I am all with you on the gutless method.
We always bone them in the field out west but in MN and WI we are not allowed to leave the carcass in the woods (littering).....goofy laws.....Its a struggle for me to even get them out of the woods when I hunt alone without my son's or grandkids....This one was only 1/2 mile on the cart. Last year it was 1-1/4 miles on a plastic sled, that one took me nearly 6 hours through swamps, clearcuts and brush.....my new titanium hip has helped me a lot though!

Wrathchild

@Mnbogboy Interesting. I’ve only hunted the west. Figured with CWD spreading they’d want more people to leave the inedible stuff in the woods.
Congrats on the hip! My dad just got his done and he’s leaps and bounds better. Hopefully he’ll be accompanying me on my hiking/fishing adventures again.

Mnbogboy

@Mnbogboy Interesting. I’ve only hunted the west. Figured with CWD spreading they’d want more people to leave the inedible stuff in the woods.
Congrats on the hip! My dad just got his done and he’s leaps and bounds better. Hopefully he’ll be accompanying me on my hiking/fishing adventures again.
Wrathchild,
Tell your dad to keep doing his exercises and he will feel great.
Praying for his quick recovery,
Randy

boxcar1

boxcar1
Thought id check back in. Sorry for the absence. Been busy. Projects, projects , projects.... Speaking of witch. Your camper came out great. Glad to see you using it. Congrats.

Attachments

• NCM_0022.JPG
    NCM_0022.JPG
    737.5 KB · Views: 51

Mnbogboy

2021 new year update.
28 days in the "social distance" camper this past fall. Spent nights in ND, WY, MT and WI. Temps 7°F to 75°. Not a drip (except a little condensation on the windows). Happy with it, silverado averages 14.5 mpg, of coarse i dont drive it 75 all the time. Makes 16+ on the 60mph roads.

ITTOG

Congrats on the build and the use of it. I can't wait to be done with mine.

So was silicone and VHB all you used on the aluminum joints?

Mnbogboy

Congrats on the build and the use of it. I can't wait to be done with mine.

So was silicone and VHB all you used on the aluminum joints?
Yes, on the mid roof seam. The rest of seams were just puddy tape under trim pieces. I thought that maybe leaks would develop on those seams but so far so good. When i checked the mid roof seam it was still stuck as stuck can be. Knock on wood. If i remember correctly the mid roof seam has 6" or more overlap. Pictures might show that.
Good luck on the rest of your build.
Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles