New member's build finally in the truck.

Mnbogboy

Hi new guy here,
Mostly a watch & learn type of guy. Love the knowledge & experience that is found in this forum.
I am 67, recently retired, and have built a few "crude" campers over the years for my western hunting trips.
Last fall a deer collision totaled my Silverado conventional cab. I replaced it with a crew cab with the 5' 8" box. This rendered my 8', hard side, plywood, slide in useless.
My next build will be custom to the shorter box. I have an old mini "L" Palomino for donor parts including the fridge, cooktop and furnace.

The furnace brings my question. Has anyone here increased the size of the pilot view port? It is very difficult to see the pilot while lighting.

Glad to be a part of this crowd and thanks for any help here,
Randy

Post date - June 4rth - build in truck, go to last post.

Last edited:

Mnbogboy

Still in design brainstorming.
I will cross the furnace "bridge" once I pull it out. Think I may drill out the view port a little bit and maybe place mica across the hole.

Next question; I have a eu2000i Honda that I always bring on our trips to periodically run a small freezer. I would like to run it in a built in generator compartment to avoid lifting it in and out every time we leave the camper. Two reasons, to prevent theft and for convenience.
Question is; Can this be done safely without major mods to the exhaust? Second; how would one sound proof & seal the compartment?
Thanks

Last edited:

Mfitz

You would need to provide a fresh air source for combustion and to vent exhaust. Perhaps equally problematic would be heat buildup. Confining it in a small box would lead to overheating, I think. So it would need to be very well vented for both of those reasons, which sounds like trouble to me. I would look at an outside mount where it doesn't have to be moved. Maybe a front hitch? Rear deck?

Mnbogboy

Mfitz,
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking on the same lines (heat/exhaust problems).
My plan at the present includes a working tailgate on the truck.
Today's thought was a slide out tray (drawer) over the tailgate. The door for the compartment would be hinged at the top and serve as a "roof" for the generator during snow or rain.
Exhaust would face to the rear.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks
Randy

Mnbogboy

Next question;
My design so far calls for a lap joint on the roof aluminum (.040). Question is what sealant/ adhesive would work best to make a leak free joint with approximate 2-3 inch lap?
The joint will most likely be on the front down slope with the top piece facing highway speed wind.
The joint can/will be fastened through to a structural member. And fastened with a trim strip if that is best.
Also I can purchase this aluminum painted on both sides. Will the paint be a problem.
After reading here my first guess is Sika 252.
Thanks in advance for any pointers or suggestions.
Randy

boxcar1

boxcar1
Hey Randy. Sounds familiar. I like your slide out idea on the genny. Sounds like a good one to me. Insulate the box with 1" ridged insulation . I run a Yamaha 1500 in the same manner. Works well. As to the sealant. I used SCS 1000 on all of my lap joints during my build. It's what Boing uses on planes. I have had no issues so far. It is Chrystal clear and strong, very strong..... You will tear the aluminum before a joint will fail. 252 is fine if you can get past the white or black pigment. If you opt for painted aluminum ( not a problem by the way ) the pigment won't be an issue. Also: You have to be careful with silicone based adhesives and sealants. Some react very poorly with aluminum. ( corrosive) . Have a fun build and keep us posted.

Last edited:

Mnbogboy

Thanks boxcar,
I didn't think anybody besides mfitz was ever going to answer. I will have a lot more questions as I proceed. A couple of weeks ago I snow blowed a trail back to the boneyard and rescued the Palomino out. It's been parked out by my garage for the whole deepfreeze. Been below zero here everyday for almost two weeks....cold one day -65F windchill. Anxious to start tearing it apart.
Thanks again,
Randy

Mnbogboy

Boxcar,
I actually spent time going thru various builds this winter with yours included. Very impressive and beautiful craftsmanship.
Randy

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hiya
As for sealant you could just ask Sika, they seem quite helpful. I've been using 552 with their aktivator 205. I also know of some folks in the uk who used a decent adhesive/sealant to glue solar panels on their roof which came away at the paint/vehicle body joint. A section of aint was still firmly attached to the panel bracket. Ally to ally would be better I would think?
Genny in a box on sliders might work, so you'd need tools to get it off, but it could be slid clear of the box to be run? And fill with fuel.

Mnbogboy

Thanks for the advice, I will study the adhesive some more. My latest generator plan is on a sliding drawer/tray rather than the insulated box. Since it wont be run at night so the soundproofing isn't quite as important. The exhaust will face straight back over the tailgate. I believe the slides I am looking at (22 or 24 inch) should get it far enough out to refuel and reach the switch panel. The 2000 is about 20" long.
The door for the drawer will be hinged at the top, serving as a roof for it in weather.
Squeezing all this in before the wheel well will be the biggest hurtle!
Always open to suggestions.
Thanks,
Randy

Mnbogboy

Here's the donor. Snow is starting to melt up here now. Only about 18" on the level.
I got the canvas off and soon will disassemble more. Stand by more to come.
Randy

boxcar1

boxcar1
Wow . The snow you get! Thanks for the kind words . I have been busy with other projects and don't get back here much any more. I will check back more often. Interested to see what you come up with. If you need help let me know.

Mnbogboy

Thanks Boxcar projects never seem to end for me now that I've retired! About half of our lawn is melted off now. Hopefully work will commence soon.

Mnbogboy

Slow start, lots of work.
Roof was waterlogged & probably over 100 lbs.
Shortened basement 22 inches.
Width will be narrowed 4 inches.
Shortening the cab-over by approx 8 inches.
Finally got the "remains" in the garage and hoping to get more work soon.

Attachments

• Making_mess.jpg
    Making_mess.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 122
  • Heavy_roof.jpg
    Heavy_roof.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 122
  • Getting_shorter.jpg
    Getting_shorter.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 129
  • Basment1.jpg
    Basment1.jpg