New member looking for vehicle advice.

Nclbny

Hello all, my name is Ben.

I have been looking on the Forum for a VERY long time, but never actually joined as I was in no position to get my expedition vehicle, because of an addiction to sports cars... Well I finally got rid of all the cars so it is time for some family adventures.

This vehicle has to be a good daily driver as well. I have a family 4+2 (2 adults, 2kids , 2 60lb dogs). I do have a great big Van for onroad paved long trips, but I'm looking for more natural adventure. The first trip we have started planning is to go to the Arctic ocean next year. We do have a tighter budget because I decided to stop working 3 years ago to be with my kids and home school my son, and the freedom of time this decision has given us is so valuable! So going back to work just so I can get a nicer rig is out of the question.

I think I am between 2 logical choices, and one that my heart wants:

2006 Landrover LR3, the cost of one seems to be around $8000 CAD for a decent one with the 4.4 V8. This one makes the least logical sense, as maintenance and fuel costs just become a lot (my impression).

3rd gen 4 runner, there is one locally that has a manual, 3.4 V6, e-locker rear, a small lift already, and winch. It has 280000km and the guy has an asking Price of $4800 CAD. My biggest concern on this is low power, limited space and limited fuel range.

WK Grand Cherokee Diesel overland, a local one I have found has 211000km asking $6500 CAD. I would plan on DEF delete, swirl motor removal and a GDE tune almost immediately. So that will add another $1000 to the price. They are not as rugged as the 4 runner or as simple to fix on any trail. They do have great fuel range, and I feel safer bringing extra diesel along rather the gas because of the flash point difference.

I am looking for input, is gas or Diesel the better option, if I continue this overland stuff I would like to get to South America eventually so fuel availability is a concern but so is availability of parts and ease of repair. I would plan on having a RTT and a small utility trailer to pull as well for longer trips. Any vehicle I get would be getting a smaller lift 3" or so, tires, winch, and other small things to make long travel better.

I would also use this vehicle to go just basic offroading and small day trips when I have time.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I’m not a Toyota guy but I would think a 4Runner would be more reliable than a Land Rover or an old Grand Cherokee.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I've owned a WK Diesel. Not all that cracked up its made out to be. And I wanted to love it so much. I really wanted to, ended up selling it after 4 months of ownership.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Whats wrong with the van? Vans are super popular trip rigs to the places you mentioned. It sure frees up $ to spend on other fun experiences.
We have 2+2 and have gone from a Landcruiser, Sequoia now Expedition. Even sold the daily and short trip Subaru after getting the Expedition. Crazy as it sounds the Expedition gets close to the same mileage the loaded Subaru got and actually matches the subaru when we had our bikes and 4x6 behind the Subaru. Oh and the OB had superior seating space over the 4runner I had before kids.

Nclbny

That manual 4 runner I mentioned is sold, there is a similar Automatic one without the lift, for just a couple hundred more.

Once I know what vehicle to really search for I am sure I can find one quickly.

Nclbny

Lol, my Van is lowered and getting setup for track days. I know it is ridiculous, but it is also getting an LS swap. It is a 1999 Ram 2500 Van. Google Dajiban. I NEED paved roads for that thing.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Lol, my Van is lowered and getting setup for track days. I know it is ridiculous, but it is also getting an LS swap. It is a 1999 Ram 2500 Van. Google Dajiban. I NEED paved roads for that thing.
Oh in that case get a 5.3 Suburban. I’d own a van if they fit in our parking garages. Besides you’ll need a rig to tow the Dodge home from the track. The 4runner will be a big disappointment. If anything get the first Gen Sequoia. Mine was great everything the 4runner should have been.
My dad drives my Sequoia now.
Don’t get a v8 4runner they share the same exciting failed brake system Mercedes put in the SLK500’s. It just quits working with no warning and is big $$$$ to try and fix. Several buddies have dumped their soccer mom spotless v8 4runners after discovering how to Ebrake stop.

Last edited:

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
Don't get too caught up in the price of fuel between vehicles. Once it is paid off, to me, the price difference between vehicles isn't as "oh my gosh you get 10 mpg vs 20mpg!". Let's say your rig gets 15mpg and you drive it 5,000 miles a year @ $3 a gallon. You've spent $1,000 in gas. Now, you have a vehicle that gets 20mpg, 5000 miles @ $3 a gallon and you're looking at a difference of $250. Does that add up over time? Sure. But should that keep you from the vehicle you WANT or keep you from something more suited for your NEEDS? No. If you drove a LOT more then yes, that would add up to wanting a more fuel efficient rig. At 20k miles traveled we are now looking at a $1,000 difference each year.

Look at what gear you'll be needing/wanting to haul. Comfortable traveling space for you and the family along with the ability to pull your trailer. I'd assume a RTT on top of the trailer would be better aerodynamically vs. on the travel vehicle (especially if mounted roofline height or lower on the trailer). Look for a rig that will provide enough payload for when you aren't able to haul the trailer with you and still be near GVW and have the proper gear with you and the family.

I ended up in a 2008 Tacoma. I was really on the fence with going with an Outback instead. We still utilize a truck for truck purposes a couple times a month. Could we make due without a truck? Probably, but it is just too convenient at times. One of the things that sucks about the truck I got is pretty mediocre payload and interior space for my family. Married, 3 daughters and 2 golden retrievers. While we haven't brought the dogs with us yet, the 8, 5 and 3 year old are pretty darn close to each other in the backseat, which can cause more fighting than wanted on longer trips. I still really like the idea of an Outback for more interior seat space and the fact they come with good stock clearance. You can throw a 2" lift on them, some all-terrains and they even make a REAR locker for these now. They look pretty darn sexy and still really comfortable when given a more off-road friendly approach and look. Will it be as capable as my Tacoma with a rear locker/bigger tires? Probably not. With that being said, will I ever fully use the Tacoma at it's full potential on a regular basis to warrant needing such a rig? Most likely not.

One thing that always eats me about my choice going to a Tacoma is interior comfort and space. Don't just limit yourself to the "popular" brands for expedition style rigs. The market is becoming better for not as popular rigs as people look more towards family friendly options, better fuel economy and overall comfort. Take a look realistically at what and where you would like to go. I've seen some kitted out Tahoes/Explorers/Expeditions/Monteros/insert not as common rigs here, that could take most people anywhere they'd really like to venture off to.

rruff

Explorer
Whats wrong with the van? Vans are super popular trip rigs to the places you mentioned. It sure frees up $ to spend on other fun experiences.

Great suggestion IMO... since his current van is optimized for other things, I still think an "overlanding" van is a good choice for hauling that load of people, dogs, and equipment... if you can live without 4WD. I'd go for one of the older body on frame styles with RWD, and add a little lift, bigger tires, regear.

If you need 4WD a truck with a crewcab makes sense.

Nclbny... you will be camping a lot, yes?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'll 2nd that. Expedition EL / Max might be worth checking out too.
I bought a 19 expedition it was more than $8000. The GM 5.3 is a better engine than the older Ford Expedition power options. I bought the 19 Exp for the modern stuff over the 19 Denali I was eyeing.

The 3.5 10spd combo in the Expedition is a nice setup. But the older ones were bleh go 5.3 GM good engine!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I bought a 19 expedition it was more than $8000. The GM 5.3 is a better engine than the older Ford Expedition power options. I bought the 19 Exp for the modern stuff over the 19 Denali I was eyeing.

The 3.5 10spd combo in the Expedition is a nice setup. But the older ones were bleh go 5.3 GM good engine!
Okay. Yeah, I was referring to the older ones with the 5.4. Never owned one, just drove one.

I've owned a few 5.3L GM SUV's. They all seemed okay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz