New member intro with questions

ATCws

Hi all..been a lurker here for a few months and thought I'd pipe up and introduce myself. I with be getting a pay raise next year when my last child finishes college and thought I'd get a 4x4 week end vehicle. I don't have any 4x4 or any off-roading experience and am looking to dip my toe into the off road world in baby steps, meaning inexpensive vehicle and mod choices to determine if this is something I want to pursue with more time and money. I'm looking to travel the western US, Alaska, western Canada and Baja, Mexico to start out with. I don't anticipate any rock crawling but intend traveling on off road roads and low water crossings

I like the 4 door Wrangler but don't want to drop $25K on one right off the bat. I'm thinking a pre-2012 Grand Cherokee diesel, maybe camp out of the back or with a roof-top tent. Does anyone have any experience with these early jeep diesels and if so, can you recommend them? If you can recommend them, are there engine mods that need doing to make the vehicle more reliable? EGR delete? Any recommended mods or suspensions lifts for Cherokees in general.

Thanks much. Love the website and the experience everyone shares. It's a terrific resource.

Mitch502

Explorer
How much is a early diesel WK? What IS your price range, and how many people are you planning on having in the vehicle? Pets? Length of trips? Your mechanical knowledge?

Welcome to the forum! I know I've gained a ton of knowledge and ideas here, hope you will too! The more info you can give us, the better we can help.

ATCws

How much is a early diesel WK? What IS your price range, and how many people are you planning on having in the vehicle? Pets? Length of trips? Your mechanical knowledge?

Welcome to the forum! I know I've gained a ton of knowledge and ideas here, hope you will too! The more info you can give us, the better we can help.

Hey, Mitch...it'l just be me and the dog...or me and the wife (not a dog :) ) Probably me and the dog more than the wife. I want the purchase price under $10,000 , leaving money for any mods or tires and camping gear. Weekend length trips and maybe week long trips in the summer. My mechanical abilities are of a moderate level...have driven diesels for years...have a Cummins Dodge and a Mercedes E320 CDI, both have over 285000 miles....have a Beetle TDI with over 309000 miles...so I have more than a passing familiarity with diesels although I'm not a trained mechanic which is why I want a very reliable vehicle.

thanks for the input.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Welcome!

Welcome to the forum! :beer:

They also have the big tents that attach right to the back of the vehicle, which would fit you, the wife and dog. :)
What I like about this style of tent is standing room. :)
Here is an example:
https://smile.amazon.com/Rightline-Gear-110907-SUV-Tent/dp/B00NGJEN5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507763667&sr=8-1&keywords=Rightline+Gear+110907+SUV+Tent

I have no first hand knowledge of the Grand Cherokee diesel, but have read a lot of very positive threads from people who have, on reliability.
There are a few here with the diesel G.C.s so hopefully they chime in.

I did have the older '04 Grand Cherokee V8, and it was an excellent vehicle. My girl friend and our two dogs went all over the place in it. Even with street tires it was confident off road in everything but mud and deep snow.

If you can swing the dates, try and make one of the Overland Expos with your wife. I bet you'd both have a pretty great time, and might also increase her desire to participate.

One thing I really liked using with our Grand Cherokee was the Yakima Rocket Box. It swallows stuff faster than Roseanne Barr at a pie eating contest.
OK, maybe you couldn't fit quite as many pies as she can eat, but you get the idea... ;)
I'm a bit OCD when it comes to packing a vehicle. I want everything neat and easy to access. That box was a huge help.

Good luck in your vehicle search.
Also check the Regional Expo Chapters section of the forum. You may find a group of people doing the stuff you are interested in, and can join in with them.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/forums/79-Regional-ExPo-Chapters

ETA:
I just did a quick search for Diesel Grand Cherokee in this forum. Whoa! there is a lot of reading material here:
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/search.php?searchid=1387277
Hope this proves helpful.

Last edited:

ATCws

Welcome to the forum! :beer:

They also have the big tents that attach right to the back of the vehicle, which would fit you, the wife and dog. :)
What I like about this style of tent is standing room. :)
Here is an example:
https://smile.amazon.com/Rightline-Gear-110907-SUV-Tent/dp/B00NGJEN5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507763667&sr=8-1&keywords=Rightline+Gear+110907+SUV+Tent

I have no first hand knowledge of the Grand Cherokee diesel, but have read a lot of very positive threads from people who have, on reliability.
There are a few here with the diesel G.C.s so hopefully they chime in.

I did have the older '04 Grand Cherokee V8, and it was an excellent vehicle. My girl friend and our two dogs went all over the place in it. Even with street tires it was confident off road in everything but mud and deep snow.

If you can swing the dates, try and make one of the Overland Expos with your wife. I bet you'd both have a pretty great time, and might also increase her desire to participate.

One thing I really liked using with our Grand Cherokee was the Yakima Rocket Box. It swallows stuff faster than Roseanne Barr at a pie eating contest.
OK, maybe you couldn't fit quite as many pies as she can eat, but you get the idea... ;)
I'm a bit OCD when it comes to packing a vehicle. I want everything neat and easy to access. That box was a huge help.

Good luck in your vehicle search.
Also check the Regional Expo Chapters section of the forum. You may find a group of people doing the stuff you are interested in, and can join in with them.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/forums/79-Regional-ExPo-Chapters

ETA:
I just did a quick search for Diesel Grand Cherokee in this forum. Whoa! there is a lot of reading material here:
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/search.php?searchid=1387277
Hope this proves helpful.

Thanks, Comanche Scott. I know there must be some diesel heads on this forum. I see your one too. Love the Cummins B series...am planning on a diesel swap into a JK when the time comes. Not sure if I'll use a 4BT or a 6BT or the new R2.8...so many choices! Yeah, I was going to Expo East this year and then work life (a definite contradiction in terms) got in the way. I'm shooting for Flagstaff in the spring. In the meantime, I'll try and hook up with a local chapter.

Mitch502

Explorer
Prices could have changed, but I think you'll be hard pressed to find a good wk diesel for under $10k.

A good TJ could be found easily for that price, and parts are plentiful and cheap. Aftermarket support is massive as well, which can't be said for the wk platform quite as much.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and let us know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles