New member here, looking into building a fiberglass over foam slide in for a full size Ford.

dbhost

How do you plan to do that
Kevin

#4. I already have a spare roller bed frame that I can jam into the bed of the truck in the cap. A cut to length 10' joint of 1" iron pipe is something like $24.00
#5. I already have the camping gear. If I used a Coleman Queen air mattress I could mitigate the cost of the mattress, but I would prefer a "real" mattress.
#6. Materials needed to make the bed platform would be 2 sheets of 3/4 ground contact plywood cut to size. Using sanded aracuo ply would run about $60.00.

Mind you like I said, minus the cost of the mattress. I have all the tent camping gear I could want, I have the camper shell, I have the roller frame. I would need pipe to create the risers, and plywood to make the platform between the roller frame rails. I have the material to make the bed end tent...

The purpose to the bed end tent is to simply allow us to more comfortably get out of bed, and have a place to attach the AC when needed, or set the heater out of harms way when needed.

opp

Observer
As you are in TX. An decide to do foam under glass save some metal cans I get gal. cans for $.50 US. At body shops. Call local glass shop and see if they sell you some resin and sell any scraps .I get kick ass good resin for $20.00 US . the most they can do is say no

Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
I am confused your title says fiberglass over foam slide as in making one from scratch Then you mention you have a shell so are you trying to modify your existing shell into a slide in then cutting the top to make it taller?
Kevin

dbhost

To many fools read the web and repost BS . White foam is CRAP will fall apart .The tan foam from home depot supper strong ,light poly will not eat it . just to many fools. All the pictures are of poly over foam .Have fools come by .As I am laying up walls . Saying this can not be done as they seen on the web blblblblbl

I wasn't planning on using polystyrene, but polyiso which has much greater insulating characteristics. A.K.A. R-Max... It's sort of yellowish / tannish insulation board with a foil backer on one side that acts as a radiant barrier. I think what you are calling tan foam is Polyiso, with or without the foil backer.

dbhost

I am confused your title says fiberglass over foam slide as in making one from scratch Then you mention you have a shell so are you trying to modify your existing shell into a slide in then cutting the top to make it taller?
Kevin

I am feeling out options. Read my posts a bit deeper. I CAN do a basic build using an existing Leer cap, but I would be lacking the headroom I want.

My ideal would have been had Eureka Campers stayed in business and started making them out of fiberglass over foam instead of aluminum... Not a fan of aluminum campers...

The Artisan

Adventurer
I am feeling out options. Read my posts a bit deeper. I CAN do a basic build using an existing Leer cap, but I would be lacking the headroom I want.

My ideal would have been had Eureka Campers stayed in business and started making them out of fiberglass over foam instead of aluminum... Not a fan of aluminum campers...
What if you used your leer. Cut out the top reinforced it and build a topper to it to give you height
Kevin

dbhost

What if you used your leer. Cut out the top reinforced it and build a topper to it to give you height
Kevin

Like converting the Leer to a pop top? That would buy me the headroom I want for sure. If I could get it to where I have the bed fold up into a couch that I can sit in, that would be great. Just FWIW, I am built a bit funny, I have a LOT of torso. I am 6', my wife is 5', we have the same inseam... I'm built like a swimmer... So headroom in a seated position is important to me... I'm not sure how I would go about making the Leer work as a pop up. Perhaps if the whole thing popped up and down, but that sloping complex roof line and varied windows makes it tough.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Like converting the Leer to a pop top? That would buy me the headroom I want for sure. If I could get it to where I have the bed fold up into a couch that I can sit in, that would be great. Just FWIW, I am built a bit funny, I have a LOT of torso. I am 6', my wife is 5', we have the same inseam... I'm built like a swimmer... So headroom in a seated position is important to me... I'm not sure how I would go about making the Leer work as a pop up. Perhaps if the whole thing popped up and down, but that sloping complex roof line and varied windows makes it tough.
Or something easy
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online