New MANTEC Product for Discovery/LR 3/4 - Overhead Storage

Ian_Barry

Observer
I happened to be enjoying Friday in the office and discovered that Mantec is launching a new accessory for our vehicles.

It's an overhead storage cage that appears to take advantage of the 3rd row grab handle bolts. Thoughts?

I've be eyeing making an attic with webbing or mesh.

LINK

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

wildorange

Observer
It does look good and maximising ceiling usage.

although IIRC 'Blue ridge' also supply a cargo net version that clips on to ceiling anchor points, for more financial frugal types ;-)

Thanks for sharing.

iowalr4

Adventurer
I like it. I keep bungees across those handles now with a lot of the paper products we use, TP/paper towels, etc. This shelf would be more useful. I already have the cargo barrier installed, so it would match well with that.

Curious what the pricing is.. the dollar/pound is in our favor at the moment.. might be good timing.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
That looks really freakin cool. I am guessing it will be around $300?

Can you link to this 'Blue Ridge' stuff?

harbinger808

Adventurer
I've been using a BlueRidge Overland Gear Toyota Labdcruiser attic over my 2nd row for our hats and jackets/vests. Works great and it's simple. Planning on buying another to span over the 3rd row for camping blankets and such.
The mantel looks amazing no doubt but for the price you can have 2 BROG attics and have 2x the storage :)

krick3tt

Adventurer
Made this one from light weight canvas, straps and click fasteners. Holds the pillows mostly. Cost was about $30 for parts and my trusty sewing machine put it together.

DSC05284.JPG

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
I've been using a BlueRidge Overland Gear Toyota Labdcruiser attic over my 2nd row for our hats and jackets/vests. Works great and it's simple. Planning on buying another to span over the 3rd row for camping blankets and such.
The mantel looks amazing no doubt but for the price you can have 2 BROG attics and have 2x the storage :)

Toss a pic of the BROG attic up please; I love their stuff and would be keen on seeing how this looks in a 3.
r-
Ray

Ian_Barry

Observer
More than that, I'd like to have an LR3 w/o that silly giant glass roof like the one in their pic. :)

Seems like a popular topic on LR ExPo today. I'm going to buck the trend and say that I really enjoy the "skylights" when I'm sleeping in the back of the truck.

Also, thank you in advance Harbinger - looking forward to the pictures.

Cheers,

Ian

harbinger808

Adventurer
Here are some quick pics. The BROG attic actually covers the second row controls but doesnt bother us since we control the AC from the front for our kids. Can't really see in the pics but right now there are 4 vest (2 adults 2 toddlers), sunshade, 3 hats and some baby wipes and some toys. Everything stays in place well and I tighten things up about once a week since my son thinks he can hang off of it when he gets in his seat :/
Hopes this helps

IMG_3364.JPGIMG_3366.JPGIMG_3367.JPG

Ray_G

Explorer
Here are some quick pics. The BROG attic actually covers the second row controls but doesnt bother us since we control the AC from the front for our kids. Can't really see in the pics but right now there are 4 vest (2 adults 2 toddlers), sunshade, 3 hats and some baby wipes and some toys. Everything stays in place well and I tighten things up about once a week since my son thinks he can hang off of it when he gets in his seat :/
Hopes this helps

Thanks for the pics, it def helps. I like the idea of using it in the third row-have a notion to use the grab handles back there to mount aluminum or steel flat runners of of a sort along that roof's recess to be able to hang it up back there. At $100 it may be worth trying, worst case it ends up in the classifieds here for some LC user!
r-
R

Ian_Barry

Observer
Thanks for the pics, it def helps.R

Seconding the thanks Harbinger! The pictures confirm that it will work and that's everything I need to know.

Ray - I would suspect that it'll play really well in the back of the 3. Can you say more about what the additional runners would do for your installation. I have no doubt you've got a vision; I just don't see it yet? Wouldn't this hang off the 2nd row and 3rd row handles just fine (sans runners)?

Cheers,

Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles