New M1102 Build

Trawayne

Hello out there fellow adventurers! I just picked up a new (to me) M1102 trailer and I’m planning to do a expedition trailer build. I’ve been watching this forum for a year or two now and I’ve been longing to join in on the fun.

Finally found a good deal locally on an M1102 and I had to jump on it. I wanted to start this thread and track progress. Probably going to be a long process.

I’ve attached a picture of the trailer here. The first thing I want to build is a rack for an RTT. I’ve got some pretty good ideas of what I want to do with it, and how it should look.

I wanted to get your advice on what I should build it out of. I’m thinking rectangular tubular steel, but unsure of the size stock I should go with. I want the best balance of rigidity/stability while also considering weight.

Anyway, glad I’m finally able to take the first step in my expedition trailer build. Gonna be a blast!

Cheers,
TW
B980FF70-60D7-4522-8ED5-882B1594A811.jpeg

Buffalobwana

Observer
I love me some 1102’s they are my favorite trailers. The military didn’t build a tougher frame than these. Nice big wide box to work with.

Well done! Carry on!

Mohammedqur

I’ve attached a picture of the trailer here. The first thing I want to build is a rack for an RTT. I’ve got some pretty good ideas of what I want to do with it, and how it should look.

I wanted to get your advice on what I should build it out of. I’m thinking rectangular tubular steel, but unsure of the size stock I should go with. I want the best balance of rigidity/stability while also considering weight.
Nice trailer, and good luck with your build. After consulting with a local fabricator, we went with 1.5 square tubing attached to the frame through angles. Talking to the guys and expedition supply at Overland Expo, they advised me to drill holes and not use the rivet nuts available as they said they spin and some are not accessible for servicing. The hight of my rack is around 15 inches to clear my garage with the tent installed. Higher might be better for annex access but design it to fit your needs and limitations. Here is a picture of the racks installed.

Attachments

• IMG_20180612_141629.jpg
    IMG_20180612_141629.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 67

Trawayne

Ok - so it has been over two years since I bought the trailer and it has mostly sat the whole time. I have used it once camping to haul gear. But after lots of dreaming up ideas I am finally moving forward with this thing.

I have designed an elevating top and I am having a local fabricator build that for me. I will be taking the trailer to them this week so they can begin the fabrication and install process. Its pretty much a shell that will attach to the existing bolt holes, and there are some telescoping tubes that will allow it to be lifted once parked. I do not weld and this topper will be mostly aluminum so I figured I would find someone who could do it right.

Before I mount the top I wanted to paint it as I figured this would be easier when the trailer was unmodified. I removed all the lights and reflectors and then raptor lined the entire thing. I will post pictures later after I have all the lights re-installed

So anyway after a long dormancy period - this thing is finally start to move in the right direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles