New luxury Roof Top Camper soon on the market.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Yeah, that's the only one I know. The 200 series Cruiser is rated for about 200 pounds, I think. Of course, Redtail says the big one should only be mounted on trucks, vans, etc. The small one can go on midsize SUVs, and it's supposed to be 190lbs.

Many RR companies claim to double and triple that load rating with there RR

emulous74

I think it's a great design and the weight does worry me, I get the 25K price, but fail to see the value at that price, and at that price, they are going to sell less than 25 a year. I own a alu-cab and with the shadow awn attached it is not easy to move from one vehicle to another with 3 people, can't imagine bringing it to the ground with less than 4, roof top tents over 200lbs seem ridiculous to me, and there are to many alternatives at the 20-25K price range that provide a lot more than just a tent.

Stabwell

Many RR companies claim to double and triple that load rating with there RR

Yeah, I get that, and we discussed this recently. I'm sure there is a pretty big safety factor built into the manufacturer ratings. Clearly, my truck has been fine on plenty of trips with my RTT and gear. I'm sure mine is close to 200lbs, plus 40lbs for the Dissent Aluminum rack. I'm definitely not interested in putting any more weight up there.

I was thinking more along the lines of dynamic loading. The new Defender's dynamic roof load rating is 370lbs and static is 740, which is pretty impressive.

billiebob

I think there is a market for it. Earthroamer just released a $650000 carbon fiber camper. They did not sell something cheaper, actually they went even higher.
The owner(s) of that company used to work at Earthroamer, so I sense that they are going for a specific niche.
The guy with that EarthRoamer needs 4 of these as guest rooms on the roof of his EarthRoamer.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Actually today you can do 330 with a 60AH lipo for under 30lbs
Yeah, I get that, and we discussed this recently. I'm sure there is a pretty big safety factor built into the manufacturer ratings. Clearly, my truck has been fine on plenty of trips with my RTT and gear. I'm sure mine is close to 200lbs, plus 40lbs for the Dissent Aluminum rack. I'm definitely not interested in putting any more weight up there.

I was thinking more along the lines of dynamic loading. The new Defender's dynamic roof load rating is 370lbs and static is 740, which is pretty impressive.

Equipts K9 rack -

A dynamic capacity in the range of 500 pounds is possible. That load included a RTT, awning, dual fuel can holder, aluminum storage case with recovery gear, shovel, axe, under mount table, light bar, etc on a 2.2M long rack. A static capacity of 1000 pounds is possible.

976-HIKE

25k for a tent
Laughing.gif

This is going to be the go-to reference for future "HOW TO GET STARTED IN OVERLANDING" videos when describing the tent you don't need to buy. These guys must think there's a lot of rappers who want to stunt on the BDR

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
This rooftop tent fits nicely into my wife's camping budget.

$25,000 at $300.00/night means my wife can stay a posh resort for 83+ nights. If she stays at a posh $300/night resort for 20 nights/year that means she has her lodging budget for the next 4 plus years taken care of!

Posh resort or rooftop tent? Posh resort or rooftop tent?

Tough decision!

I can tell you right now she will have another glass of champagne with her boyfriend at that Posh resort while I'm still sleeping in a smelly 4 year old $25K rooftop tent.

I hope her damn boyfriend at least pays for the drinks!

BrewsterII

For several hours now, I've been trying to figure out the level of absurdity this RTT fits into. Conclusion is ............. I cannot!

****** ................... A Million Times ................. ******

MiamiC70

I just discovered this new camper this morning. I was blown away by both the specs and the price.

Look at it, and take a moment to let it sink in...

:)

View attachment 586682

View attachment 586683

View attachment 586684
Have we reached “peak” Overlanding stupidity yet?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
This rooftop tent fits nicely into my wife's camping budget.

$25,000 at $300.00/night means my wife can stay a posh resort for 83+ nights. If she stays at a posh $300/night resort for 20 nights/year that means she has her lodging budget for the next 4 plus years taken care of!

Posh resort or rooftop tent? Posh resort or rooftop tent?

Tough decision!

I can tell you right now she will have another glass of champagne with her boyfriend at that Posh resort while I'm still sleeping in a smelly 4 year old $25K rooftop tent.

I hope her damn boyfriend at least pays for the drinks!

Don’t worry, I’m sure he will pay. My wife’s friend does. ?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader

For the win.... 100 series RR test loaded at your local Home Depot

36 - 1/2 drywall 4x8
36 x 57lbs = 2052lbs plus the rack ?

1589986634255.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles