New luxury Roof Top Camper soon on the market.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I just discovered this new camper this morning. I was blown away by both the specs and the price.

Look at it, and take a moment to let it sink in...

:)

1589896976820.png

1589896985377.png

1589897017326.png

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Interesting. Not for me, but interesting. Personally, I’m not into the wedge thing. At anything over $23,500 I want to get a fourth wall. ?

I’m predicting that 90% will complain about the price. 5% will defend it. The remaining 5% will put down hefty deposits and at least 3% will lose them when the company disappears into the ether.

Personally, I love free markets, or reasonably regulated markets, and if you like these types of materials and finishes, the product probably has value to you. Good for them on attempting to make a premium product at a reasonable (for those materials) price point. Make sure it exists before putting the money on the barrel.

Xoothe

I like the idea. A lot of roof top tents looks like they are made by the same Chinese manufacturer and rebranded for a price of like $3k+. I like seeing new stuff in the market even though I'm not buying a tent more expensive than any car I've ever owned.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I think there is a market for it. Earthroamer just released a $650000 carbon fiber camper. They did not sell something cheaper, actually they went even higher.
The owner(s) of that company used to work at Earthroamer, so I sense that they are going for a specific niche.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I do question the longevity of polycarbonate windows in a folded and vibrating application. Scratches may become an issue. Actual glass, even high strength tempered and laminated glass, might be a better long term option. Time will tell.

Stabwell

I thought carbon fiber is supposed to be light. What truck, other than the new Defender, is rated for 250 pounds on the roof? My Alu-cab gen 3 is probably too heavy and it's aluminum (and less than 1/6th the price).

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I thought carbon fiber is supposed to be light. What truck, other than the new Defender, is rated for 250 pounds on the roof? My Alu-cab gen 3 is probably too heavy and it's aluminum (and less than 1/6th the price).

The new Defender is rated for 370 pounds apparently.

Stabwell

The new Defender is rated for 370 pounds apparently.

Yeah, that's the only one I know. The 200 series Cruiser is rated for about 200 pounds, I think. Of course, Redtail says the big one should only be mounted on trucks, vans, etc. The small one can go on midsize SUVs, and it's supposed to be 190lbs.

Wow. I applaud the ingenuity. I don't get the price vs. weight. If the thing is really carbon fiber and justifies the price, how did it come in >100lbs heavier than the biggest James Baroud tent? Solar is not lightweight I suppose.

I will be watching how this evolves with interest. Bear-proof RTT is a pretty big selling point... not a $25k selling point, but cool nonetheless.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I saw the price and thought April fools ?

I question a couple of the claims

Sleeps 2 adults and 2 children?
At 10" in height, you leave all your bedding in place and it closes?
Over 9' long and 5' wide....at 65mph your rig begins to lift off
Where does the diesel heater sit?
Got ladder or does it come with an elevator? Must be why it has 330W of solar

Cant wait to meet the guy who buys one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier