NEW LR3 LR4 GAS TANK SKID PLATE

LK8STEVE

As Justin says the stock skid plates look to be made from used world war 2 era tin cans Land Rover found laying around the countryside. Don't trust that to protect your low hanging vulnerable gas tank. The Proud Rhino gas tank skid plate is made from 3/8 Aluminum to help keep the already heavy trucks weight down. They easily bolt in using existing hardware and no modifications are needed to install. Hit the trails with confidence knowing your gas tank will be there when you are done. $508 plus shipping.

https://www.lucky8llc.com/products/proud-rhino-lr3-lr4-gas-tank-skid-plate

Attachments

• IMG_5116.JPG
    IMG_5116.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5112.JPG
    IMG_5112.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5114.JPG
    IMG_5114.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:

iowalr4

Adventurer
Nice to see more aluminum options. Would be nice to see an aluminum version of the Tactical skid. I like the t44 version because it has bends for strength, and its easier to clean the sand/mud out of it with the vents. Why is it perfectly flat? Won't that bend more easily?

I bet it weights a LOT less that my steel t44! OMG..

Here is some photos of when it was new and not dirty. (Spray metalized with aluminum by zincnation and powdercoated locally)
IMG_20170810_115124-X3.jpg

IMG_20170810_105041-X3.jpg

iowalr4

Adventurer
MB..what is that aluminum plate that covers T case ?

No aluminum on my fatty lr4. This is all Tactical 4x4 steel, sliders, t-case skid, gas tank skid, rear bumper. (and an ARB Summit bar up front). All of my T44 stuff was done with the aluminum spray metalizing coating from zincnation and then powder coated locally. It's holding up to rust much better. (Iowa roads and winter salt is brutal)

IMG_20180303_151150-X3.jpg

IMG_20180303_151201-X3.jpg

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Steve, any other pictures with this Lucky8 plate installed ? Anybody purchased that yet ? Thoughts ? How much of the weight difference between TR steel and aluminum one are we talking about ?

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Turns out, this aluminum plate requires a removal of genuine thin steel plate that holds the fuel tank up.It serves as direct replacement of an OEM plate.

BCDave

Turns out, this aluminum plate requires a removal of genuine thin steel plate that holds the fuel tank up.It serves as direct replacement of an OEM plate.

Hello Sunrisehiker,
1.) do you have a LR3 or 4 & what year?
2.) Where did you hear the Lucky8 alum. gas tank skid plate replaces the OEM steel plate or did you figure that out yourself when you installed it? When I purchased from Justin & then called back & had Sean confirm, they said it bolts on directly over the OEM. However, they can't tell me how many attachment points there are. The L8 plate I received looks just like the pics show with 2 holes up front, 1 in the rear center & 1 in the middle on the passenger side that does NOT align with any of the OEM attachments points on the passenger side.
3.) Can you share how many attachment points you used ?
4.) If you have more than the 2 up front & 1 in the rear, can you tell me where your other attachment points/holes are located? I bolted it up with the 3 holes (front & back) but there is a very large gap b/w the OEM plate & the Lucky8 plate. If & when you lightly punch the Lucky8 alum. plate the entire skid plate rattles. I couldn't imagine drive on washboard having to listen to the constant rattling, nor can I belive this 50# skid plate is ONLY attached with 3 bolts.
5.) Does yours rattle at all?
Thanks man!

Attachments

• skid gap-2.jpg
    skid gap-2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 37
  • skid-1.jpg
    skid-1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

BCDave

Oh, one more question for Sunrisehiker: I see there are several heat shileds on the driver's side. If you replaced the OEM steel skid plate, did you reinstall those heat shields or discard them as there are NO pre-drilled holes on the Lucky8 alum. skid plate.

sdjp

Oh, one more question for Sunrisehiker: I see there are several heat shileds on the driver's side. If you replaced the OEM steel skid plate, did you reinstall those heat shields or discard them as there are NO pre-drilled holes on the Lucky8 alum. skid plate.
BC Dave, I know it's been awhile since you posted. What did you end up doing?

You are spot on with your assessment. I just installed this skid plate today and am NOT impressed. I removed the OEM skid and did a direct bolt up as I received no instructions and the short description on the website just makes fun of the factory skid. I would never entertain bolting it over (or underneath in this case) the stock skid as it would take away from ground clearance but then seeing that HUGE gap and how low this thing hangs had me speechless. And yes the side bolt hole doesn't attach to anything so it's just 3 bolts holding in this huge skid and it just hanging out in the breeze. I also don't like how the sides of the gas tank are not protected. If a rock gets caught in between the side of the huge gas tank flap and the soft gas tank and frame look out! This makes me realize why no pictures of the skid installed

I will close by saying I've always been happy with Lucky 8 as a company and their products however with this I really expected a lot more, especially for this price. I've reached out to Lucky 8 and am waiting to hear back. Unless something big changes I am returning the skid and reinstalling the stock one, which fits like a glove and although not pure beefy strength has been quite sufficient for the wheeling we've been doing.

*pics attached, it's hard to get good angles for photos but it shows the inboard and outboard exposed tank sides, teh hole to nowhere, and the huge gap/ clearance loss.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 8.12.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 8.12.32 PM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 8.12.42 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 8.12.42 PM.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 8.12.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 8.12.52 PM.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 8.13.03 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 8.13.03 PM.png