New Lightweight Hardside....

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Interesting, but to meet the silly claim of "lightest hardwall ...." it's little more than a shell.

No fridge
No heater (yet it claims its capable of 4-seasons) :unsure:
No cooktop
No water system
No toilet
No jacks

Take those into account for other campers, and the weight claim most likely is moot.

Also, take into account the overall width of 74 3/4", the interior width if it is of legit wall thickness for a true 4-season unit will be under 6'
So it might sleep 4, but it will be snug. At less than 6' wide, your head and feet will pretty well always be right against the walls when sleeping.
I'm just 6', and even our camper with an 80' interior width is a bit snug, especially in extreme cold temps, even being well insulated.

billiebob

Fabulous little unit. No toilet suits me just fine. I freaking hate indoor bathrooms in a tiny unit. I love the option of setting up the kitchen outside altho I'd prefer a kitchen slide out like most Expo trailers. Looks nice but I'm too old for it. I like a bigger bed and the rear kitchen, permanently outside like a teardrop.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonathon

I saw a Scout Olympic in the back of a quad cab Ram 1500 a couple days ago. From the outside it looks pretty nice. Truck appeared to be a bone stock 4th gen quad cab 1500 Tradesman.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
It’s just a stripped down Adventurer. I owned one of those for a few years and the construction was better than some campers on the market, but it was still falling apart after a few years of use. I’ll pass.

jonathon

It’s just a stripped down Adventurer. I owned one of those for a few years and the construction was better than some campers on the market, but it was still falling apart after a few years of use. I’ll pass.

On the surface that does not appear to be correct. They are made by the same company but the Scout line is constructed out of polyurethane foam panels covered in fiberglass with an aluminum external frame, where the Adventurer line is fiberglass skin over an internal frame with traditional insulation.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I realize there are differences, but it is still the same company, just using new/different materials. I certainly wouldn’t be pre-ordering anything of this type without actually seeing a finished product. There are so many ways to mess up. Adventurer has a long history of building mid level product (They started out as “Slumber Queen”). The whole “overland” craze (I HATE that word... let’s add “extreme” to it to really ruin it) has brought a lot of mediocre products rushing to the market to cash in. I’m not saying these are junk, just that I’d want to see one in person before actually purchasing.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I realize there are differences, but it is still the same company, just using new/different materials. I certainly wouldn’t be pre-ordering anything of this type without actually seeing a finished product. There are so many ways to mess up. Adventurer has a long history of building mid level product (They started out as “Slumber Queen”). The whole “overland” craze (I HATE that word... let’s add “extreme” to it to really ruin it) has brought a lot of mediocre products rushing to the market to cash in. I’m not saying these are junk, just that I’d want to see one in person before actually purchasing.

Agree whole heartedly.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Fabulous little unit. No toilet suits me just fine. I freaking hate indoor bathrooms in a tiny unit. I love the option of setting up the kitchen outside altho I'd prefer a kitchen slide out like most Expo trailers. Looks nice but I'm too old for it. I like a bigger bed and the rear kitchen, permanently outside like a teardrop.
I used the shovel and hole method for 30 yrs in Mexico. A porta potti is a luxury now. I paid my dues.

Last edited by a moderator:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I used the shovel and hole method for 30 yrs.

My faith in humanity took a massive nosedive when I recently suggested (on a local backcountry forum) it would be nice if people would actually bury or cover their turds when on public land. The amount of people who replied that I should “learn to watch wear I was walking” or said “I’ll ******** in the middle if your driveway if I want to” was absolutely frightening...

jonathon

The Kenai looks really cool. I am very interested in checking one out. If they are solidly built I don’t see why it wouldn’t be a good option for those of use who don’t have the space, skills, or time to DIY something.

I find it interesting that Scout thinks the factory tie downs are sufficient in the bed of most trucks. I would tend to agree, at least compared to FWC’s mounting system. The metal in the four posts of the bed of my Ram is significantly thicker than the metal in the floor of the bed. The tie down loops are also pretty stout.

billiebob

If someone can enlighten me, I'd much appreciate it. I just got this notice. I'm lost. Pretty sure I never swore or abused anyone.

billiebob,

Your message (New Lightweight Hardside....) contains inappropriate language:
This does not follow our rules. Your message may have been removed or altered.

Your account's access may be limited based on these actions. Please keep this in mind when posting or using our site.

I asked for clarification but I'm thinking someone on the thread can enlighten me. Surely it is not the "freaking" word.... maybe it is.
Whatever, no offence was intended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles