New leaf springs

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I just had new springs put in the back of my Crestline Ambulance (E350 Ford). The 10 pack leaves are rated the same as the 9 leaf packs. There's little arch. So the truck sits level, the spring shop added a 1" steel block on the drivers side (it's about 650 lbs heavier).

At the rear wheels it currently sits 2" higher. This means the tail is 3-4" higher. The plus side is the bumper won't drag on the ground as much... :D

How much will the rear springs settle? I know there is a wealth of knowledge here. For more info, the springs are rated at 8000 lbs (4000/side). Empty there's about 5800 lbs on the rear axle - Dana 70 dually axle... I'd guess about 4800 lbs on the springs. I'm thinking about 1" over the next 6 months (perhaps less).

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Ha Ha... I'd need some blocks in the rear... :D

No plans for $X$... I mean 4X4. I've got an Fj40 for that. The Ambo is way to Big for local trails. Besides I've got 4X6 already. For logging roads and snow the LSD is plenty given the 6000+ lbs that's usually over the rear axle.

Although, if it doesn't settle I'd likely get some MAXX 2" spacers to "Solve" the problem.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Some Perspective...

RIMG0039.jpg

It's about 1.5-2" higher at the rear wheel opening than it was with the old springs. Even with 245s on the front and 225s on the rear the front is much lower (that said they both seem to be about 29" tall). The rear bumper is about 5" higher than it was before... I'd not want to lift the truck much more, and I'm somewhat torn since lifting the front will lower the far overhanging rear bumper.

Before, I did drag the rear on the way into a few different driveways... and it won't get better when I leave the pavement. Also, I'd not want to lift the front and then have the rear settle. I suppose if that happened I could always add rear lift blocks... :Wow1:

Jsweezy

Explorer
If it doesn't settle anymore you should contact Weldtec and see about their leveling kit on the front end, I am sure they could make it happen.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'm sure they could... I've even got cores they could have. It's currently about 3" high at the tail end... down from 5. On the dash it says 8'3"... I regularly bump the 8'6" bar.

cjken

Explorer
What did it cost to have the springs done??
Debating about tackling it myself or having it done.
I’ve got a bit of time on my hands right now!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles