New kid on the block! AWD Transit with composite camper AEONrv

martinf

I agree the entry way/shower combo is not for everyone but I think it works great in a vehicle of that size.

I'm trying to avoid comparing it with the EC since they are 2.5x the price of the AeonRV and a different beast. I somewhat regret not buying one 5 years ago when they were about 275k..now they start at 575k.

gregmchugh

Observer
I agree the entry way/shower combo is not for everyone but I think it works great in a vehicle of that size.

I'm trying to avoid comparing it with the EC since they are 2.5x the price of the AeonRV and a different beast. I somewhat regret not buying one 5 years ago when they were about 275k..now they start at 575k.

I don’t have any issue with the idea of the entry shower/toilet but the toilet space in the AEONrv is pretty small for someone with a rear end as big as mine . I am afraid it wouldn’t work for me… ?

SimplyAnAdventure

Just spent some time in this at Expo East…. I think it was my favorite vehicle at the entire show. Was planning to go 1T truck/ flatbed with camper but this Van may have converted me. The pass through might be the biggest selling factor that and the build quality and care these folks took with the rig was outstanding….

Steve_382

We visited the plant in Reno this summer and they seem very serious about doing it right. Love the overall size and the bathroom is fine with me also. I wish they had done it on an E350 with a Quigley or U-Joint 4x4, but that would have added another $15 to $25 k to the cost. And, I am sure they feel like the Transit will be around after the E series is gone.

tuumi

How's the AC in this?
We have a Winnebago Travato with the Volta Lithium system. I dream about swapping to something like this the AC system is a crucial feature for my wife (it's gotta be cold!- temp set at 68). For now we can only travel in the summer and often camp in places where day temps are 100+ with night temps in the 80s. Assuming a full charge after a couple hours of driving we can almost make it through the night (6 hours) and the vehicle will autostart for an hour and get us the rest of the way. (2 -3 more hours). We have a toddler.
I don't think this will have the energy storage capacity of the Volta but with better insulation and a more efficient AC I'd love to hear how sleeping would be in our use case. Which granted....probably isn't normal.

gregmchugh

Observer
How's the AC in this?
We have a Winnebago Travato with the Volta Lithium system. I dream about swapping to something like this the AC system is a crucial feature for my wife (it's gotta be cold!- temp set at 68). For now we can only travel in the summer and often camp in places where day temps are 100+ with night temps in the 80s. Assuming a full charge after a couple hours of driving we can almost make it through the night (6 hours) and the vehicle will autostart for an hour and get us the rest of the way. (2 -3 more hours). We have a toddler.
I don't think this will have the energy storage capacity of the Volta but with better insulation and a more efficient AC I'd love to hear how sleeping would be in our use case. Which granted....probably isn't normal.

There has only been one delivery to a customer so far. That customer is on the Facebook group “AEONrv Owners and Explorers” and has started sharing his experience. You might be able to get some real world info there…

rruff

Explorer
How's the AC in this?

Specs are here: https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/5f346186-24e1-4039-95bc-2335c4475a7c/AEONrv Specs 10.20.22.pdf

● 8.2kWh self-heating BattleBorn LiFePO4 battery pack, upgradable to 10.9kWh or
13.6kWh (Travato Volta is 9.6 kWh).
● 3,000VA 24V DC, 70A 120V Victron Energy inverter/charger
● Alternator battery charging up to 1.6kW, upgradable to 6kW with optional 24V
alternator
● 700 watt solar panel array with Victron 100/30 MPPT controller

Considering that Aeon has much better insulation, and is upgradable to a 40% larger battery... you can probably store 2 nights worth of AC. Best bet would be to contact Aeon and see if they've done any testing that would be relevant. Victorian might have some relevant info as his rig is similar, though I doubt he camps in conditions that hot.

The Aeon is designed to be more offroad worthy, which always entails some tradeoffs for road use (higher CG, offroad tires, maybe even the AWD and turbo engine). You might enquire about downgrading those things if offroad doesn't matter to you.

lucilius

Some photos of production units in both Avalanche Gray and Ingot Silver.

View attachment 755788
View attachment 755787
Nice looking rig, smart fusion of van and truck camper features. I just checked your website and also skimmed through this thread to find info about rear suspension with no luck, apologize if I missed a description or photo. Is this thing on leaf springs, airbags, etc.? ~What weight is on the rear and front axles when loaded with fuel/water?

Jonnyo

Observer
Nice looking rig, smart fusion of van and truck camper features. I just checked your website and also skimmed through this thread to find info about rear suspension with no luck, apologize if I missed a description or photo. Is this thing on leaf springs, airbags, etc.? ~What weight is on the rear and front axles when loaded with fuel/water?

it s definitly leaf spring and rated for around 9500-9900lbs. not sure of the break down on this unit tho?! But this transit platform can be made for a rating of up to 11200lbs so decent payload in transit.

gregmchugh

Observer
it s definitly leaf spring and rated for around 9500-9900lbs. not sure of the break down on this unit tho?! But this transit platform can be made for a rating of up to 11200lbs so decent payload in transit.
This is a SRW so GVWR is less than that.

Ninelitetrip

• Ford Transit all-wheel drive 1-Ton SRW 156” wheelbase cutaway chassis, 9,500lb GVWR
    ● 16" heavy-duty black steel wheels, BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 LT245/75R16 tires, included under mount matching spare tire and jack
    ● Van Compass 2” lift kit with custom heavy duty front coil spring
    ● Falcon custom tuned rear shocks with clearance shock extensions

Does not appear to be an option to increase the GVWR above 9,500 lbs. Is that a limitation of the suspension lift? Or just being an SRW vs a DRW?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles