New Kamparoo Trans-Continental

duneyeti9

Kevin
Any plans to put an outside shower on that rig? Also, how much wind you recon it will stand when fully deployed before you would take it done and head for the truck?

kevint

Adventurer
No plans for an integrated shower.

I don't know how to quantify wind comfort. I definitely would get nervous quicker with a side wind than one coming from the ends.

kevint

Adventurer
Kitchen Organization

Earlier this year, we came up with a simple idea to use some magnets to aid in kitchen organization.

First of all, I glued some magnets to the bracket of a paper towel holder. I just picked these up at my local home center. Rare earth magnets would have been even better but these were cheap. I glued the magnets to the bracket with some old, faithful J-B weld.

And when traveling, the paper towel roll sticks to the underside of the Kamparoo steel kitchen countertop. Really gets it out of the way.

In use, we bring the bracket out of the cabinet and stick it to the underside of the fold out counter top. it also sticks nicely to the side of the Kamparoo and we have moved it over near a table we set up to have it handy for meals.

The difficult part was finding the right paper towel holder. Most I found wouln't work. This one came from Bed, Bath and Beyond. Some tool suppliers carry something similar with the magnets already installed but my wife didn't like that they only came in toolbox red. This one was more than I wanted to pay and the holder is way nicer than necessary but it did the trick.

I also picked up some magnet hooks at the same time which make some of our utensils more accessible.

Granted, this is a nothing build but it has actually added a lot of convenience. Big bang for the buck and something that I imagine people with all kinds of rigs might make some use of.

jmaxch

Thanks a lot for all your pictures Kevin T! All of these convinced me to get a Kamparoo Trans-Continental which will be delivered in about 2 weeks!! I am very excited!

Transue

Kevin, when can I buy your Kamparoo? I really like your disc-o-bed idea. I also have two young daughters, and we have a Kamparoo Cub. We love it but, we wish it was alittle bigger. Thanks for your write ups! Let me know when your ready to sell. ;-)

kevint

Adventurer
Kevin, when can I buy your Kamparoo? I really like your disc-o-bed idea. I also have two young daughters, and we have a Kamparoo Cub. We love it but, we wish it was alittle bigger. Thanks for your write ups! Let me know when your ready to sell. ;-)

No sale anticipated in the near future. Sorry.

pjcd

Hey, I'm in the market for a Kamparoo, ( a transcontinental) was wondering if you still have it and if you have any updated comments, pro's and con's.....Would appreciate any input.

kevint

Adventurer
Hey, I'm in the market for a Kamparoo, ( a transcontinental) was wondering if you still have it and if you have any updated comments, pro's and con's.....Would appreciate any input.

I still have it. It's been in storage while I have been living overseas but we have returned to the US now and have been anxious to get it out. I need to replace the tires, (they went flat in storage and I wouldn't trust them on the trail.). The lead-acid batteries weren't maintained in storage so I'm sure they are dead. I'm planning into looking into a more modern battery for the replacement. I also need to replace some weather stripping on the front box and overall make sure everything is still ship shape. We were getting some leaks around the door of that box before we went overseas. The mattress is a queen sized futon mattress. I think I might investigate a thicker, higher grade mattress. In recent years I've had to be picker about my mattress at home so I suspect I may want to upgrade the Kamparoo mattress. Actually, you could just use any queen size mattress but the futon style make it easier to access the under bed storage.

My kids are grown now so my wife and I are looking forward to moving out the bunk beds for additional room. The biggest negative is simply the lack of a bathroom. Of course we bought it knowing that but it is an extra hardship on the ladies.

I see they now have a bike rack option. That would have been attractive to me. Getting four bikes strapped on the top was a bit of a chore. I spent quite a bit of time thinking how to incorporate a bike rack that I could remove easily before opening the camper.

Good luck. I hope you get what you want.

alia176

Explorer
I did this for carrying four bikes on the back of the Adrenaline camper, might give you ideas.

11150c10110f78de045bd1166b1ee539.jpg
e01dda0499c4998bc1d59f91289a5a5f.jpg
87b5672f4a9c0d5ec8fdb36e48152333.jpg
155c918f225f6bab9cd5e2003a1fab94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

alia176

Explorer
I found an old pic of the kamparoo holding up two bikes. I used the same front fork mounts and bolted them to the rack.

Both campers were able to open after the bikes were removed.

Hope this helps.

96ce20462f355c43583eb5eef8a53708.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles