New JKU Cargo System and Other Upgrades

MattJ

Adventurer
What kind of roof rack is that? AEV? How hard was it to take off the hardtop with it on?

It's the Maximus-3 short platform (made by Rhino Rack, I think). I really like that it allows me to remove the freedom panels and has several side rail configurations. Plus, it comes with two side ladders that look really good when installed.

y4m8oKJBMVzNHnchTcZOWnAv7nNuOZbGrAOG21043EJ9JW9uuy1DPT2z0TATa2FRz-62jED3JQXQhKO0kscXbdks82xUOjWYGB8G2mwCb8PHkTdG8dkbFKZSkUuaivoznTLBcRJXUOps8BiY-Q1BusphZt3wnmPCprmQ9i-Us6byvvhfoCXrla5GutKTwmLpPi5fZLmCFiqnRGpNPdgvXt9yA

Switching from hard to soft top is something I only do twice a year, and it's always a chore. The Maximus rack bolts into the roll cage in two spots on each side: one behind the 2nd-row seats and one buried behind the sound bar. It's that buried attachment point that is a bit of headache: you have to unbolt the sound bar, then remove the Maximus 3 mounting bolts, then reattach the sound bar. Plus, the mounting bolts are wedged pretty far against the frame, so I use a very long hex wrench to remove them. Having done it a few times, it only takes me a few extra minutes. But the first time I made the switch, it was a long and frustrating afternoon.

MattJ

Adventurer
Here are some photos of the tent mounting bolts. I use a wooden wedge and a ratchet with a PVC tube as an extension handle. I took the tent off for some winter treks since I plan to use a tipi-style tent instead during cold weather with an open fire or wood stove inside.

y4m3QkjuNHHBkwU6UC509jJHx9Jh_bBwhM9HdMK1D1SKxnpZnsY9nyEbtCuO8uXTCInN0JvclUFe1BrKpHdn_Ui6bqVxaSaFbwgegpd2ZOElfrKVist8YLqp4Is0bTdX0ZRUgEi2RDJmOHQdFfgkzp100OnRFJqjOS2pAdUmOp0CetTBqRTOZSVZSievpF290WOV0wVvC0uW5CwXfqY0thQuQ

y4mLuhWXh9pqT-Il3x6c5yd0y4mtWTbtOc6PvutsSHm8HngCDUfApuniPIiE18SNsN7VWIpCfmRd-mfb54Urv6dxbVZwi2XjFH6Mjv1Szv2QwHYkJlOsWM9DCRh4S0nXbVS7RBeq4yy-ay34lVZii52R-eTiB4PciXNPcjaIOjCuE024ZauRykcyfc4dwpBbHChNSpNDTKgZYySvmE4Oe2xAA

HKLover

I'm interested in that double-top table shown in one of your camp set up photos at the beginning of this thread. Who makes it/where did you get it?

Thanks

MattJ

Adventurer
I'm interested in that double-top table shown in one of your camp set up photos at the beginning of this thread. Who makes it/where did you get it?

Well, I'm not sure if you will be happy or disappointed to learn that I made it myself from some simple components! I used a folding camp table, furniture risers, and a piece of plywood that I made for my kids to use as a backstop when they practice air rifle target shooting (I spend a lot of time thinking about how to use items for multiple purposes). Below are links to the components that I would recommend if you wanted to copy the design. I think my exact table I has been discontinued, but I found a similar one. The pails are cheaper than the furniture risers, and they stack together better (you might even be able to fit them in the same bag as the folding table). The shelf can be cut easily with a hacksaw if you don't want it to hang out 3-inches on either side.

I must say, the double-top table is GREAT at camp. I slide utensils, cleaning supplies and other miscellaneous cooking gear under it. With the wire shelf as the upper layer, you can see exactly where everything is.

y4m62lShh6AEn_kRmz_9fxOtDMv8FoD-h-f7EVkGqG8XkB6dnyZo-WPzCLfWVT3wz9OWKCP1OkKCyU6PktKsW5Gv1bxXnOKOIxuoBOlkZd8zw7kQlrnPmX6ueJKlB5bEF0me1JqtB1uZl9bVtxcnDELZivVAWpZt4ZuZUT-jOFTbQfVQ1DCxtNjQWFjnMYiiaYgFHLohvFcEb4ZCBrX3kPTqw

Walmart Table

6-inch Pails

Wire Shelf 48" x 16"

MattJ

Adventurer
Just found an old photo that shows how flush the base of the tent is to my platform rack. Forgot I had taken a photo from this angle. Roof top tents are tall enough, so I didn't want any extra inches between the tent and the roof of my Jeep.

y4mDYrjcHMNDyLL_TDmrEA0Ge-xKo3Uw7ImsNY-pyHSLuGfrZWGKNyW9t4RoUOe9Gx0hSkNjMmxQvGZiR1XqA-P4uMgQSFgzFtO64tbgE7sZjf5eXgkw_zLsbZEi5FaPL1ki_3K97zJiVE3_bzNYCShOkStI03-Fa1E6QQ2fwKMxW31DzAExx08PDy03Fk_sNxDCQzOPxYEyci3pgyZTYnURA

MattJ

Adventurer
I can't park my Jeep in the garage if my Weboost cellular antenna is mounted at the top of the windshield bar, so I designed two new mounting spots: once that drops
the antenna lower for everyday use and a higher one for overlanding off the grid. The caulk will dry clear and I painted all the components in chassis black paint. After it cures for a week, I'll apply another coat and this project will be done. I had to cut a steel spacer at a 30-degree angle to offset the tilt of the windshield bar for the higher mount.

y4msbIcPYtfdSn3CiIjwVmHuTmsCQmxEQDAIb-5Ug2vItcSHATCKCCGnpdWksscAwDDWkEg-pGoFYimxtfx5pQMMADKBMc5TtHkrr1rxsdk2wM1u0Fayirwr-_W6fECYR1IHH9RkDMooJH-a9n35DPkfulRlS9irHERFqUxPm-EDfiYR2TuEdvBLzp2Q3W4KMNpZD-yigeG3fWsjvWhnpW58g

y4mvNrDaNskoZGXCepkkrDuTkSyLf6PwHVSkgWQw8FzIJxeQaiRbtrlECzsAmSctEB-3-lc8GVMwQP3ceiFDAkpnY9nFyF5Motp_69ZL-FS0l-N8_aHWhmj36x0J5V8o8FeC4gsNgNPEB5OlI50YLpJSXseUUQ-0ZKGlgVEJaiygC65FbdgTyK9xwpbzq4Bu8cKbhZLwdpac8hyy-XaIA-r3A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz