New JKU Cargo System for 2018

MattJ

Adventurer
Thanks - every piece of this configuration has been a LOT of work and testing!

With regard to the tent mounting system, as far as I know it is the only tent in the world that is mounted flush to a platform rack. I spent a lot of time looking for a solution like this when I decided to purchase the tent, but I couldn't find any options. I even called several tent companies to ask for advice. It seemed ridiculous to me that the tent would be mounted above my platform with two sets of criss-cross bars, increasing the height by nearly six inches, creating more wind noise, worse aerodynamics and worse gas mileage.

So I spent several weeks designing a flush mount system that solved all of these problems AND enables me to configure the tent to open to the side OR to the rear of my Jeep. I sent Tepui (the tent company) some photos of how I built this system in case they wanted to offer this solution to other customers with platform racks, but they did not have interest in pursuing this concept.

MattJ

Adventurer
I should also mention that I have tested the tent mounting system on some severe off-road terrain. I used some 2,000-pound cargo straps just to ensure it would stay secure.

MattJ

Adventurer
How do you like that fridge been planing to buy an ARB one for a while now. Just holding out till I get moved to Va.
I like it a lot. It was the largest fridge I could fit and still use my upper cargo rack. I made a quick-mount system so I can remove the fridge and slide very quickly:

Fridge Slide Quick Mount

I have massive twin subwoofers built into the floor of my cargo area, so I didn't want to install a Goose Gear floor.

MattJ

Adventurer
But I should mention there are newer models of the Dometic fridges available with a WiFi app that allows you to monitor and control the fridge from your phone. Jeff Scherb has some good photos in his thread of the newer Dometic fridge model - he is using one in his Trail Kitchen design.

MattJ

Adventurer
Today I installed some rubber-baby-buggy-bumpers under my cargo rack to provide some extra clearance over the fridge and dampen vibrations during rough trails. I purchased a six-inch block of rubber, froze it to 0F and cut it into pieces with a band saw.

MattJ

Adventurer
It's the CFX-50US. It fits perfectly in the cargo area of the JKU without having to fold the second-row seats down. Also, it is low enough that you can install a full cargo rack above it. I use a cargo net between the second row and the cargo area, which allows me to pack a lot of large, loose items into the cargo rack.

Here are some photos of the cargo system I designed for my 2018 treks. I am trying some new things this year and wanted to share my ideas since I have learned a lot from this forum!
Nice setup and nice Rubicon. I've been looking at cargo racks for my mine for a while now. Just can't designed on which one or bring my self to pay what most of them are asking for it.

MattJ

Adventurer
Nice setup and nice Rubicon. I've been looking at cargo racks for my mine for a while now. Just can't designed on which one or bring my self to pay what most of them are asking for it.
I'm sure you saw my reply to your post in my "Just Five Bolts" thread. I think you should design a better cargo rack, make your own and post some photos for us! After all my modifications, upgrades and fixes to this cargo rack, I'm only using 50% of the original components. The original design has some serious flaws.