New JK - Duratrac Question

CCH

Adventurer
Changing lifestyle (kids unavailable most of summer due to sports) resulted in selling our trailer last week. That made a 3/4 ton diesel superfluous. The wife suggested we replace it with a Rubicon. Oh my! Anyway, as much as I would have loved to indulge her and myself, it didn't make economic sense for us. I fully appreciate the features and could foresee using them at times, but I couldn't justify it all in the end. Drove off with a 2014 JK Unlimited Sport S with the 3.73 limited slip. It's far more off road capable than any other vehicle I've owned and light years from my truck. I'm loving it. This will be my daily driver for my massive round trip commute of three miles (will actually walk that weather permitting) as well as be the family fun vehicle for camping, hunting and off roading.

The plan is as few mods as possible. Sliders and probably a rack at some point, but that's about it as it will be pretty full with my family and gear weight wise. Glad I normally backpack, as that's how I view the JK in car camping terms. In the mean time, the tires have to go NOW. Having just bought a new vehicle, money is a consideration so I've sort of narrowed it to two options (will consider others). 1. Buy some Rubicon take offs from Craigslist. B. Get new Duratracs.

My question is about the Duratracs. The 255/75/17s are not listed as LTs and I'm concerned about durability. I have searched high and low for some sort of review on these without success. Lots of praise for Duratracs in general, but nothing about that size other than someone who thinks they "look really cool" on his jeep. Does anyone have any experience with them when it comes to durability in rocky terrain? I'll even take second or third hand accounts at this point. They have some appeal for family trips compared to the Rubicon mudders when a lot of highway miles are involved. Thanks.

Last edited:

Rubicon John

Observer
Don't know about that particular size, but I made sure my Duratracs were E rated tires for the extra plys. They're heavy as hell, but they've taken a good beating and even ran over the sharp end of a pick-axe without so much as a whimper. The sidewalls are much beefier compared to my wife's C rated Duratracs.

I ditched my 17" rims and made some money to buy my 16" steel wheels. I'm not a fan of bigger wheels on jeeps and would rather have more rubber than wheel to air down on.

greggNJ

Observer
No experience with the Duratracs, though I have heard a lot of great reviews and will consider them when I'm ready for new tires. I do have experience with the KM1's (stock Rubicon MT's). I've got 35k on my 2012 Rubicon and have been very happy with the stock BFG MT tires. I don't feel they are especially loud, they're wearing ok for MT's considering the amount of highway driving I do. They do fine in rain, snow and sand (I haven't even taken them in any serious mud). I figure I'll get about 50k before I replace them. If you can find a good deal locally on a set of take offs they're worth considering. Enjoy your new Jeep!

Timgco

Adventurer
The Duratracs are great tires for a daily driver. They do very well in the snow/ ice conditions we get here in CO. They also do OK off road. Their sidewalls are not as tough as some of the MT's out there, however for an AT, they do good. I think this tire does well on the JK. Just make sure to rotate every 6K. NOW, good luck on NOT modding the JK. lol

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The Duratracs are great tires for a daily driver. They do very well in the snow/ ice conditions we get here in CO. They also do OK off road. Their sidewalls are not as tough as some of the MT's out there, however for an AT, they do good. I think this tire does well on the JK. Just make sure to rotate every 6K. NOW, good luck on NOT modding the JK. lol
That exactly matches my opinion. Given their good traction performance, they handle very well on pavement and a surprisingly quiet.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck

+2
Holds true for wet WA as well. I believe the weak sidewall concerns are unfounded for the average wheeler. That's why we carry spares anyways...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Congrats on the Jeep!

I traded my Power Wagon on an Unlimited Sport S in February. Traded my stock tires to Discount Tire and bought Cooper Discoverer ST-Maxx in a 255/80-17 size (33"). They fit perfect and are great tires.
Just sayin... ...I'm not bashing Duratracs but they don't do it for me. Not many tires come in the narrow 33" size, btw.

Here's my new-Jeep thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/123010-I-m-back-in-a-Jeep-a-JKU

DT gave me $120/tire for the Goodyears and the new tires were $220/tire. So with mounting/balancing/tax, I was still out the door for less than $600. :sombrero:

017_zpsffba52da.jpg

McKaskeyCreek004_zps7697a225.jpg

daryn1979

Observer
I had Duratracs on my TJ for a couple years and loved them. They did really well on rocky trails in Moab and were great on road- especially here in MN winters. I wouldn't take a set of Rubicon take-offs if you paid me- they were easily the loudest, most unsafe tires I've ever driven on! They came on the 2012 JKUR I picked up last fall and I spent the winter sliding through intersections and spinning out at green lights- and I'm a very conservative driver. I never got a chance to take them offroad, but I needed to get something safer because it's my DD. My first thought was to go back to the Duratracs, but I was shocked at how much they cost in a 17" flavor! Instead, the reviews from this forum and others steered me towards Toyo Open Country AT2s in 285/75r17 and I couldn't be happier- silent on road, tons of siping for snow/ice, and plenty of sidewall tread/strength. Worth a look if you're looking to save a bit of coin...

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Another vote to bypass the Rubicon take-offs.

The tires are fairly good in mud, and wear well for an MT, but when it comes to wet and winter traction, they are downright terrible.

Unless you find a smoking deal, my vote is for the Duratracs. Apologies for not answering your actual question, but had to throw in my two cents.

kayadog

Adventurer
You can get the Duratracs in LT265/70r17 C range which is just a hair shorter and wider than 255/75r17. You can also get the Cooper ST Maxx in LT 255/75r17 C range which is probably a burlier (and heavier) option. Both tires are new in 255/75r17 so there isn't much info on-line. I did see a JK forum posting with pictures saying the Duratrac 255/75r17 is on the skinny side.

JBL13

I've had 245/75/16 C-range and 235/85/16 E-range Duratracs on my '02 Tacoma. Both sets held up fine in Moab and plenty of general trail driving in northern Utah. The 245s ended up with some minor slices in the sidewall rubber, but nothing of real concern. Still, I found myself tip toeing around off-road thinking about the sidewalls all the time, so I'm now running 235/85/16 Toyo Open Country AT2s.

CCH

Adventurer
Hilldweller, had read your thread. Great stuff. It even got me to look into those same tires, but the sales guy threw out the Duratracs as a lower cost option. Didn't know they might pay for trade ins. How'd you pull that off?

Thanks all for the feedback on the poor snow/ice performance of the factory mud terrains. That is a deal killer for me. Can quit poring over Craigslist now.

Not modding is easier to avoid than you may think. Not much gets past the CEO/CFO. ;) She does know that better tires are not up for debate. Wouldn't leave the showroom without buy in on that.

nickmimi

Adventurer
We have Dura tracs on both of our Jeeps. They work very well for daily driving and off road. I would not advise the Rubicon take offs. They don't do to well on wet pavement.

side walls & rubicon

Some say that duratracs have a weak side wall search it on here and jk and you will numerous pics of tires with side wall punctures. I have no personal experience on this however I will probably avoid them for that reason. Con grats on the Jeep a suggestion either have lockers installed or a winch or better yet both. There is nother thread right now about jeeps with out limited slips or lockers b getting stuck because they have open diffs Me I would have gone for the rubicon I have one now and have used the locker numerous times but never (Cross my fingers knock on wood) had to use the the winch. THe other big advantage is the axles and ratios dana 44 with 4:10 nice to have but you did save alot of dough so maybe you should put some towards those mods. Because and every honest Jeeper will tell you you are going to try and mostly succeed in going places you never would have thought of before. Good luck and venture forth!

CCH

Adventurer
I fully understand what I missed out on in the Rubicon. However, I think I'll get by. I live in Colorado and have near endless options to explore withou crossing the state line. Don't have to take the "Rubicon Only" ones to get out and enjoy ourselves. Winch may be way down the road. Of course, that's been the case with every vehicle I've owned...

That said, I made the mistake of looking at AEV's website. Should have a warning label, "teachers need not enter". :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles