New JK - Duratrac Question

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hilldweller, had read your thread. Great stuff. It even got me to look into those same tires, but the sales guy threw out the Duratracs as a lower cost option. Didn't know they might pay for trade ins. How'd you pull that off?
I knew that my local store sold used tires and take-offs. I'm a regular there and just asked.
I've referred them some used business with coworkers. They'll sell them to a minivan owner fast and they know it. They're fabulous minivan tires. I've seen them torn to shreds (on sticks) on the trails.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I didn't like my Duratracs. For a mostly daily driver, and occasional off-roader, I thought they were loud and extremely conducive to driver-fatigue. Tread life was decent for an aggressive AT. Off-pavement, they were certainly durable and good performing, but I won't get them again.

11318651416_ff8fe5bb93_c.jpg

4562009112_297312151f_z.jpg

96Delica

Adventurer
I didn't like my Duratracs. For a mostly daily driver, and occasional off-roader, I thought they were loud and extremely conducive to driver-fatigue. Tread life was decent for an aggressive AT. Off-pavement, they were certainly durable and good performing, but I won't get them again.
x2. I don't mind them but I wouldn't buy them again. Not to mention they are SCARY on ice or packed snow.

Phoenix

Adventurer
I run the 315/75 Duratracs on a 16 inch wheel on my Rubicon. I've had plenty of opportunities to puncture my sidewall and have driven thousands of local and highway miles and find the Duratracs to be an above average AT Tire.

Put the AEV stuff down. Its beautiful, but you need to step away from the light. There are also other companies that sell quality after market parts at a reasonable price. Check out Ace Engineering for rock sliders, they are also great steps for helping the little ones into the Jeep.

CCH

Adventurer
AEV will not be hard to resist. Money aside, I'm really into minimizing, and every bit I bolt on means less I can carry, especially uphill.

Leaning towards Cooper 255/75/17 ST Maxx at this point. Thanks for all this info!

jarmentrout

Observer
Take a look at the Goodyear silent armors. Best AT tire I've had. Have had 2 sets of duratracs and from what your describe for plans in bet the silent armors would also work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
x2. I don't mind them but I wouldn't buy them again. Not to mention they are SCARY on ice or packed snow.

Yes tire discussions...funny how someone can have totally opposite views and experiences with the same exact tire...Duratracs are the best tire I have ever experienced in those conditions. Maybe a dedicated snow tire would work better in Toronto? But has I have learned in other threads....northern ice is different than southern ice...:coffee:

Septu

Explorer
Yes tire discussions...funny how someone can have totally opposite views and experiences with the same exact tire...Duratracs are the best tire I have ever experienced in those conditions. Maybe a dedicated snow tire would work better in Toronto? But has I have learned in other threads....northern ice is different than southern ice...:coffee:

I don't know about that... My buddy ran them (this is his 3rd summer) and loves them. He complained they wore a tad fast, but were pretty decent in the snow/ice in the winter.

CCH

Adventurer
Duratracs sound great, and likely would have been my choice had the 255/75/17s come in an LT tire. They don't, so Cooper ST Maxxes will be going on this week. Thanks for all the info. Now I'll see what a stock JKU can do with good shoes. Having fun drastically reducing my car camping kit. Like the minimization. Might be easier just to pack for backpacking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior