New Jeep Pick Up to be unveiled...The Gladiator

Clutch

<---Pass
But the aftermarket knows how to get 'er done, spread the load over a larger area and its fine. That is if you don't just bolt rings to the forward bed bolts anyway, which is the most secure way to do it.

View attachment 486709

That is cool.

I like the Bed Buddy.

CCR-1.jpg

Last edited:

mantree91

Passenger cars especially are coming very well equipped in base trims. But, the tech has even moved into base pickups, which historically have been more utilitarian. My Base trim Sierra has a 7" touch screen. I would have cringed at that 10 years ago, but honestly, I do like my backup camera, and Apple Car Play. The camera is far better at guiding my tow ball under my trailer hitch than my wife! lol

I might be cringing again though, if the fancy gadgets fail outside of warranty, and cost thousands to replace...
I will admit it, I installed a in dash touch screen monstrosity in my xterra. The backup camera is really nice and that 7 inch screen is really easy to see the channel you are on. I have even used the dvd player once or twice (got stuck at a train on my way home and had just bought a new movie now I keep a couple of DVDs just in case I get stuck again)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

goin camping

Explorer
Well in one idiots opinion...

Looks long and not that attractive visually and that will be OK as long as it does the towing and hauling of the big 3's 1/2 ton pick ups. If not I really don't see the point.

Its not a half ton not meant to compete it pull them out of stucks all day while no truck can be everything to all people this one appeals to alot of us let oyota sit on their and chevy jeep and who knows about ford bulit some very cool 4x4 ithink the gladiator is awesone

Wallygator

Adventurer
Well in one idiots opinion...

Looks long and not that attractive visually and that will be OK as long as it does the towing and hauling of the big 3's 1/2 ton pick ups. If not I really don't see the point.

Well since it's a midsize truck and not a half ton, I guess you don't see the point then. It will compete just fine against vehicles in its class. Despite what I feel is going to a very expensive vehicle, I think it's going to be a huge success for Jeep.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Thanks, was looking for the still of it.

There is it is! Thanks Doc! Couldn't remember where I saw it.

Here you go @Wallygator thought that was a nice attention to detail. As we were just discussing how cool this thing would be as a bike hauler.

JP020_087GL8sb3bdtv5auqmvcp4uses1j4a5.jpg

Yeah this vehicle is pretty nice and that is a cool touch. The only question is reliability and build quality but we may as get used to seeing these things everywhere cuz I feel it's going to blow up the overland market.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah this vehicle is pretty nice and that is a cool touch. The only question is reliability and build quality but we may as get used to seeing these things everywhere cuz I feel it's going to blow up the overland market.

Going to sell a ton of them.

Time will tell with reliablity...wonder if all the new competition will get Toyota off their haunches? Doubtful is my guess.

If not I really don't see the point.

Mid-size truck that can fit 35" tires stock, or 37" tires with only a 2" lift....think about it....try fitting 37's or even 35's on any other of the mid-size trucks. Diesel version will have 442 ft/lbs of tq to churn those big tires too. Not an easy thing to do in something like a Tacoma, Ranger, or Colorado. or even in a Frontier...Nissan, who???

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I think that is an example of Jeep responding to how many buyers use their "luxury trim" Jeeps.

It's actually a trend I've seen on full size pickups too. Take the GM Silverado and Sierra for example. The Z71 "off road" package used to come with a Bridgestone Dueller A/T, just like the JK Sahara did. In 2018, most Z71 trucks were getting Goodyear Wrangler SR-A, a highway tire, just like the JL now gets a highway tire on the Sahara.

You would think the "Overland" model would be a Rubicon with some overlandy bits tossed on, like a Hi•Lift and a Jerry Can, Desert Tan paint for an overlandy look. Maybe throw in a pith hat and cargo pants with a Jeep logo on it... :D

I have an extra set of street tires for commuting...gotta admit I kinda like the smooth ride for general running around.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
There is no doubt it will be a very popular truck. I may even buy one myself...

I always thought my next new vehicle would be a Tacoma but I am so not impressed with the new one. I have had two of them now, and the transmission is awful.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
You would think the "Overland" model would be a Rubicon with some overlandy bits tossed on, like a Hi•Lift and a Jerry Can, Desert Tan paint for an overlandy look. Maybe throw in a pith hat and cargo pants with a Jeep logo on it... :D

I have an extra set of street tires for commuting...gotta admit I kinda like the smooth ride for general running around.
The Overland Edition will be in Desert Tan and have your name stenciled on the side along with your sponsors.

MOguy

Explorer
It can tow and carry a load that is comparable to similar to other size trucks and it is a Jeep. Unless the price is too high I can see it selling. I don't see it actually selling to the full size truck crowd, put it isn't a full size truck.

For me my truck is a one ton that carries heavier loads (mostly wood, dirt and gravel) so it isn't enough of a truck for my needs. I don't drive my truck far but it is used hard, very hard. It just an old 79 K30. Even if I bought a new truck this jeep isn't for me. For Off-roading/overlanding I like the idea of having things enclosed and protected from the weather and not so much vehicle hanging past the back axle. I would prefer the 4 door wrangler if I were to buy new. For me it is not something I would consider but I have no issues with it.

I do like the way it looks. If I were looking for a new little truck I would check it out.

Last edited:

Bobzdar

Observer
I mean, it has over 3/4 ton payload - it's 400lbs more than my '05 half ton and is within 800lbs of the tow rating, too. Now today's half tons are more like the 3/4 tons of 15 years ago, but still, this has plenty of capability for pretty much any half ton truck duty, with possible exception of the bed size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne