New Jeep Pick Up to be unveiled...The Gladiator

EMrider

Explorer
With one of the new pop up/wedge campers this could be a pretty good camping/hunting ect rig.

Exactly. The higher payload capacity means that I can go camping in difficult to reach areas, with 4 kids and full gear, and not have to tow a trailer. That significantly reduces cost and hassle for those with similar needs.

R

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I know I'm late to the party but my $0.02:

1. WRT the tow ratings - color me skeptical. I can't help but think they pumped up those numbers to try and make the vehicle look more capable than it actually is. Maybe tow 7000# across town. Through the Rockies? I sure as hell wouldn't. My '07 4runner struggled badly pulling a mere 2000# of travel trailer through the Rockies and it was "Rated" at 5000# towing capacity. Hell, even driving across flat North Dakota in heavy rain the 4runner struggled against the wind and got an abysmal 9mpg while doing it..

They increased the grill openings and upgraded the cooling fan, both because they needed more cooling for that tow rating.
So it's obvious they tested the heck out of this, and they wouldn't rate it at that unless it can handle it.

Obviously the 3.0 diesel with 260hp and 442 ft. lbs. and the 8 speed will tow that with absolute ease over any mountain road in the USA.

-Dan

Clutch

<---Pass
The guy showed the tracks in the first video I posted.

Thanks, was looking for the still of it.

The article about the debut on the home page I think has the photo you are looking for.

There is it is! Thanks Doc! Couldn't remember where I saw it.

Here you go @Wallygator thought that was a nice attention to detail. As we were just discussing how cool this thing would be as a bike hauler.

JP020_087GL8sb3bdtv5auqmvcp4uses1j4a5.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Can just back the truck up to the rear hatch of a Pruis, and then just run it over with the bike.
Ha!
I saw Toni Bou a few times and he did things like that. At the end of the show he used the bike to smash out all of the windows and then crushed the car nearly flat. It wasn't a Prius but some other commuter box.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Here you go @Wallygator thought that was a nice attention to detail. As we were just discussing how cool this thing would be as a bike hauler.

JP020_087GL8sb3bdtv5auqmvcp4uses1j4a5.jpg

Tacomas have had those tracks and cleats since 2005. And it's pretty well known the cleats alone aren't up to holding down a dirt bike.

P1010022_zps2206b99d_161ebe1212cd8d6358c86124dfabbcacab6ab578.jpg

But the aftermarket knows how to get 'er done, spread the load over a larger area and its fine. That is if you don't just bolt rings to the forward bed bolts anyway, which is the most secure way to do it.

image2-1024x772.jpg

rkj__

Adventurer
They increased the grill openings and upgraded the cooling fan, both because they needed more cooling for that tow rating.
So it's obvious they tested the heck out of this, and they wouldn't rate it at that unless it can handle it.

Obviously the 3.0 diesel with 260hp and 442 ft. lbs. and the 8 speed will tow that with absolute ease over any mountain road in the USA.

-Dan

If you don't mind letting the Pentastar V6 rev, and are ok with travelling less than 65mph up tough grades at elevation, it will take your 7000 lb trailer up the toughest climbs.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I think the truck looks great, I think the numbers are impressive. I don't think I'll ever get another 5ft bed truck, but obviously I'm a minority in that opinion.

I like that they used the wrangler doors, it'll make accessory and aftermarket support cross over a non-issue.

They should have used a gladiator grille.

IMG_6219__59891.1501796461.JPG

Axles should have been 6 lug with FF rear.

How could they make the departure angle any better? Have no bed stick beyond the rear wheels so you have a 2.5ft truck bed?

s-l300.jpg

no thanks.

Justincredible

Adventurer
I think Jeep did a great job in terms of making a Wrangler pickup with a usable bed.

My 2 concerns would be:
1. Cost. A base JL unlimited starts at $31.5k and I expect the equivalent Gladiator to be roughly $5k more, so you could be knocking on $50k to get into a Rubicon.
2. Many JLs have suffered from poor welds and there were a couple pictures I saw yesterday that tell me the Gladiator will have the same issue.

SnowedIn

Observer
The main reason I'm not sold on the 3.6L gas version is the wheelbase. A solid front axle just isn't enough to overcome the disadvantages compared to my midsize pickup with stock diameter tires, 2" lift, and aftermarket bumpers.

Pros:
- Solid axles (articulation, ease of suspension mods, etc, etc)
- Aftermarket
- Good stock approach/departure angle
- Turn radius should be at least as good as shorter IFS midsize trucks with same-length beds, because axle.

Cons:
- Solid axles (I really don't think this will cruise on the highway better than a JKU/JLU, and those are awful on long trips compared to a well-configured conventional pickup)
- Wheelbase - breakover angle is a bit on the "meh" side compared to contemporary midsize pickups with OEM offroad packages.
- It's a Jeep. Yes, I know this is the Jeep subforum. Yes, I have a Jeep. But I do have a Jeep - nobody is going to BS me about build quality, although I hope they've fixed a couple of the really annoying JK issues, like their propensity to turn into rolling swimming pools.

Neither here nor there:
- Stock approach and departure angles are comparable to midsize pickups with smart bumper/suspension mods; those trucks are much cheaper to start with, so they may still end up being less expensive

Predictions:
- They will sell a ton of these
- Those willing and able to run 34/35" tires will have a blast offroad with them without giving up anything on the trail to a conventional pickup, especially when the diesel versions show up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online