New Jeep - Gladiator Rubicon

billiebob

Wranglers have a history of holding their value better than anything else.
It'll be interesting to see how the new Wrangler truck depreciates.

Bobzdar

Observer
Wranglers have a history of holding their value better than anything else.
It'll be interesting to see how the new Wrangler truck depreciates.

That's one of the reasons I could get it - my JLUR held it's value well even though I had racked up 26k miles in only a year. I got the JT for a couple grand under msrp, dealer treated me well both on the trade and on the price of the Gladiator. I wouldn't have done it if they were charging msrp, let alone over like some dealers are.

smlobx

Wanderer
I have been waiting for this truck for a few years.
We’’re going to a local dealer tomorrow to test drive one and if everything goes as planned we’ll be ordering one from a dealer in a nearby state who is willing to sell below invoice.
My out the door price for a nicely optioned Rubi should be below 50K plus TT&L..

Dalriaden

Wow that’s crazy, I ordered my 3500 ram cummins, Aisin trans, dual alternators, etc for less than that.

And in two years it'll be worth what, half of what you paid? I like dodge trucks, but one of the two holds their value and it's not a ram.
That said the only real reason to go with the rubicon is not to invalidate your warranty to install lockers imo, otherwise get a sport s max tow and spend the other 20k on whatever you want.

Explorerinil

Observer
And in two years it'll be worth what, half of what you paid? I like dodge trucks, but one of the two holds their value and it's not a ram.
That said the only real reason to go with the rubicon is not to invalidate your warranty to install lockers imo, otherwise get a sport s max tow and spend the other 20k on whatever you want.
Look around at cummins powered trucks, they hold their value.

Bobzdar

Observer
Wow that’s crazy, I ordered my 3500 ram cummins, Aisin trans, dual alternators, etc for less than that.

Diesel will have a lower tow rating than the gas motor, so I didn't want to go that route - it needs more cooling for the intercooler and the Gladiator is maxed for cooling as it is.

Did you get lockers, sway bar disconnect, fox shocks, 8.4" satnav, leather interior and AT tires in your tradesman? Sure, you can get a stripped down tradesman for cheaper than a loaded Rubicon, but that's not exactly a fair comparison. You can get a stripped down sport for $35k, or a max tow equipped one for $41k.

I know it's a mid sized truck, but it's essentially got half ton specs from a few years ago - 1200lbs payload, 7000lbs towing (up to 1600lbs and 7600lbs in the sport w/max tow). The ram power wagon, which is the only truly comparable full sized truck, is only 1600lbs/10000lbs, sucks fuel like it was built by opec and is overall humungous (and not available with the cummins due to cooling/weight issues). Plus, it's even more expensive. So if you want a true off-road capable truck with a warranty, there are 3 other options to the Gladiator - Colorado zr2, Ford Raptor and the Power Wagon. The zr2 can only tow 5000lbs, Raptor is built more a as a pre-runner and, despite being a full size, can only tow 8000lbs, and the power wagon was detailed above. Plus, none are available with an 8' bed, which is one of the main reasons to go for a full sized truck, especially a 3/4 ton like the power wagon.

If you want to compare to a ram tradesman, the sport s w/max tow is more comparable and starts at $41k.

IMO, if you want an off road vehicle that can also do truck tasks, the gladiator is perfect. If you want a truck first that can also go off-road, it's probably not, but then neither are most of it's competitors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles