New Iveco Daily chassis cab build

saf5000

*Not sure if this is the right place in the forum , please let me know where else it should go

Here’s my 2018 Iveco Daily chassis that I’m building into a camper. I’m a digital nomad recently returned to NZ after living overseas for the past 6 years. Figure while I’m grounded here I’ll put my time towards a vehicle that my partner and I can drive around the world. Plan is build now and when travel opens up ship to Panama and drive to Alaska.

This will be our full time home so full toilet/shower with hot water and 400ah 12v lithium system has been designed to suit our needs. Double maxxfan deluxes will provide ventilation and circulation while a 2kw diesel heater will handle that side of things. Truck is RWD but having already driven most of Central America and USA in previous travels 4x4 isn’t a must have for where we intend to go just yet.

I work an average of 2hrs a day online so have plenty of time to dedicate to this project. I spent the lockdown trawling this and many other forums for ideas and details especially everyone’s canter 4x4 builds as this will essentially be the same.

I’ll try to be consistent with updates of this build as a resource for others wanting something similar. From what I’ve tried to gather doing this is Aussie or US is a lot easier with many more options for panels and base vehicles.

notes on my plans

-2018 Iveco daily chassis cab 2.3L. TD 8sp hi-matic trans 3750mm wheelbase 180,000km of chassis 28000km of engine and trans (replaced after recall from Iveco)

- will be on a spring mounted subframe

- full GRP Sandwich panel box 2.4/40/2.4 composition with lamilux skins and 30kg density XPS foam core. Floor has 50mm foam and 12mm marine ply. Panels source tbc soon, deciding between two manufacturers

-interior dimensions of the camper will be 4x2x2m with no pass through

-panels joined by rebate and adhesive and ally angle on exterior joins. No mechanical fixing, no thermal bridging.

-all bonding done with teroson ms939

-hardware is off the shelf RV stuff, domestic s4 windows and camec/ranger doors and hatches

-have gone without the Luton so I can easily change vehicles to something larger and 4x4 which will most likely be a cabover vehicle.

I’ll try detail more of the plan as it happens.

Currently I’m working on the subframe which will be a basic ladder of 100x50x4 galvanised RHS. 2 sitting on the chassis rails and 6 crossmembers with some select support for high load areas like the doorway and standing areas. Truck has 8 mounting brackets, will fixed mount the two rear which are either side of the axle and spring mount the front two. Rubber chassis rail strips have just been bonded with ASOS f2 in pic
c0f32bd0aea98d07a95bc0ca05107895.jpg

ef6de08147101189fe54a402f809d3ff.jpg

d80ccbcbf58d2336808dd6029c925a7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darwin

Explorer
What euro tier is the motor as far as emissions go? Are they using DEF (diesel exhaust fluid)? Are you concerned about the high sulfur content diesel found in many latin american countries?

saf5000

I’m not sure as to the euro rating as it’s not needed to be labeled in NZ. It’s got an EGR system. Plan is for a 200l tank with 2 stage filter on the intake for poor quality/watered down diesel. I have some experience with bootleg fuels in Central America so I’m aware the system probably needs some proper thought

Conor123456789

*Not sure if this is the right place in the forum , please let me know where else it should go

Here’s my 2018 Iveco Daily chassis that I’m building into a camper. I’m a digital nomad recently returned to NZ after living overseas for the past 6 years. Figure while I’m grounded here I’ll put my time towards a vehicle that my partner and I can drive around the world. Plan is build now and when travel opens up ship to Panama and drive to Alaska.

This will be our full time home so full toilet/shower with hot water and 400ah 12v lithium system has been designed to suit our needs. Double maxxfan deluxes will provide ventilation and circulation while a 2kw diesel heater will handle that side of things. Truck is RWD but having already driven most of Central America and USA in previous travels 4x4 isn’t a must have for where we intend to go just yet.

I work an average of 2hrs a day online so have plenty of time to dedicate to this project. I spent the lockdown trawling this and many other forums for ideas and details especially everyone’s canter 4x4 builds as this will essentially be the same.

I’ll try to be consistent with updates of this build as a resource for others wanting something similar. From what I’ve tried to gather doing this is Aussie or US is a lot easier with many more options for panels and base vehicles.

notes on my plans

-2018 Iveco daily chassis cab 2.3L. TD 8sp hi-matic trans 3750mm wheelbase 180,000km of chassis 28000km of engine and trans (replaced after recall from Iveco)

- will be on a spring mounted subframe

- full GRP Sandwich panel box 2.4/40/2.4 composition with lamilux skins and 30kg density XPS foam core. Floor has 50mm foam and 12mm marine ply. Panels source tbc soon, deciding between two manufacturers

-interior dimensions of the camper will be 4x2x2m with no pass through

-panels joined by rebate and adhesive and ally angle on exterior joins. No mechanical fixing, no thermal bridging.

-all bonding done with teroson ms939

-hardware is off the shelf RV stuff, domestic s4 windows and camec/ranger doors and hatches

-have gone without the Luton so I can easily change vehicles to something larger and 4x4 which will most likely be a cabover vehicle.

I’ll try detail more of the plan as it happens.

Currently I’m working on the subframe which will be a basic ladder of 100x50x4 galvanised RHS. 2 sitting on the chassis rails and 6 crossmembers with some select support for high load areas like the doorway and standing areas. Truck has 8 mounting brackets, will fixed mount the two rear which are either side of the axle and spring mount the front two. Rubber chassis rail strips have just been bonded with ASOS f2 in pic
c0f32bd0aea98d07a95bc0ca05107895.jpg

ef6de08147101189fe54a402f809d3ff.jpg

d80ccbcbf58d2336808dd6029c925a7a.jpg

Anyone who has done this or even sat down and done th sums, how heavy is the habitation box (empty). I would love to do this, I’ve rad only and max 4.5t. I’m wondering if it’s doable at all for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier