New-ish guy sayin' hello.

philos

Explorer
Made a little progress on my bumper.
Main tube is bent and attached.
Hoop for skid plate is bent and attached.
Still need to tie ends of main tube back into the frame, redo the light tabs I welded in at the wrong angle (stupid/smart measuring twice rule...), tie the skid plate hoop into the frame, make/mount a skid plate, more light tabs, end caps, paint.

Pics:
b3d625d65a3856e4de286554dbcd0001.jpg

fc3acbb6d87165c8ce9449bd7555a2ca.jpg

f1fb9367ad14206d29b82d047a1b4307.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Made a little progress on my bumper.
Main tube is bent and attached.
Hoop for skid plate is bent and attached.
Still need to tie ends of main tube back into the frame, redo the light tabs I welded in at the wrong angle (stupid/smart measuring twice rule...), tie the skid plate hoop into the frame, make/mount a skid plate, more light tabs, end caps, paint.

Pics:
b3d625d65a3856e4de286554dbcd0001.jpg

fc3acbb6d87165c8ce9449bd7555a2ca.jpg

f1fb9367ad14206d29b82d047a1b4307.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Duuuude... that looks great! I should've hired you to build mine...haha

philos

Explorer
Nice progress! Diggin the front bumper as well. Did you install the Rhino liner yourself?

Danke. Yes, harbor freight bedliner and those skinny foam rollers. Finish coat of Rustoleum spray liner, which is also handy for touch ups.

philos

Explorer
Duuuude... that looks great! I should've hired you to build mine...haha

Bring your van to LA, we can build one in the driveway. DOM is about the only thing that costs less here, lol.

My bender dies shipped yesterday, and these ship tomorrow.
46be98bfd40b13730fede600a0b013c8.jpg

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Bring your van to LA, we can build one in the driveway. DOM is about the only thing that costs less here, lol.

My bender dies shipped yesterday, and these ship tomorrow.
46be98bfd40b13730fede600a0b013c8.jpg

I'm jealous! I originally wanted to go with tubing bumpers, but the money ran out and I just couldn't pull it off. I'm happy with what I have for now though, I'll just beat the **** out of the van for the next 2-3 years and then gut it and build something else with all the parts. We'll be in colorado soon, so I'll be looking at more of a trail rig by that point... K5 blazer or jeep probably

philos

Explorer
I'm jealous! I originally wanted to go with tubing bumpers, but the money ran out and I just couldn't pull it off. I'm happy with what I have for now though, I'll just beat the **** out of the van for the next 2-3 years and then gut it and build something else with all the parts. We'll be in colorado soon, so I'll be looking at more of a trail rig by that point... K5 blazer or jeep probably

I still like your bumper, and the rest of your van is nothing to be shameful about... Probably one of the most popular build threads here.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Are those Hella Supertones in the grill? If so are they as good as the Rally guys claim and if they are not what are they? The horns in these vans are so damn anemic!!! Spending a good deal of time in SA you get used to a good loud horn :)

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I still like your bumper, and the rest of your van is nothing to be shameful about... Probably one of the most popular build threads here.

thanks man... I love the ol' girl, but I'll be glad when we quit fighting about this transmission...LOL

philos

Explorer
Are those Hella Supertones in the grill? If so are they as good as the Rally guys claim and if they are not what are they? The horns in these vans are so damn anemic!!! Spending a good deal of time in SA you get used to a good loud horn :)

Yes, Hella supertones. I put them on every vehicle I own, I love em so much. Run them through a relay. They're good and loud, but the important bit for me is the abrasive tone they emit...
The yellow rally looking ones aren't as loud as the red supertones.
I also kept one of those anemic stock horns hooked up for even more noise!
Headlights are mini projector retrofits I built since we're on the topic of anemic factory systems. Muy bueno, sharp cut-off line so I don't get flashed nor hassled by the fuzz.

philos

Explorer
Bumper is nearly complete. Need some more aluminum to make a skid plate and license plate holder.
Otherwise I'm done.
I skipped adding bars to tie the skid hoop to the frame, but did tie the outsides of the main bar back to the frame. I was able to use existing holes in the frame, and bent my frame plate to fit. There's a single carriage bolt per side on those plates.
Main portion of bumper uses existing holes too. Four carriage bolts per side.
Skinny, single row LEDs are tied into my high beams.
Round LEDs are on their own relay circuit.
Block heater plug mod stuck into another bracket at driver's side because that's where I like it.

I'll try and get better pics at some point.
bf0640004f1f0bdbc618b5a0f41849bf.jpg

f1385fc3c1912b73623e2afad6164e55.jpg

b85f3a4692b60d56dfbb4f1eb8881fc3.jpg

286d1bb7a86c92bd9122142393d73840.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior